Can I put a timer on a basic gas water heater?

Page 2 of 2
peter wrote:

What does it suppose to accomplish?
"Gas water heater timers".... boy, those go back a *ways*.
These were availaible from at least two different manufacturers, AMF used to make such a device called a "QWATERBACK" - I remembered the name (took a couple of days) - and GOOGLE found one still in the box, on eBay, if anyone is wondering what they looked like:
http://tinyurl.com/jeztl
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 0008599949&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT
I have no idea how - or if - this device was effective or safe.
Or if it would be considered an acceptable modification by your WH's manufacturer.
Or by your local building department.
Or your insurance company.
My guess would be that the answer is to all three is no , and if I found one of these during an inspection I'd recommend it's disconnection unless all three approvals could be confirmed - and even then, how would you find a "qualified person" to perform an inspection or repair of such an installation?
Michael Thomas Paragon Home Inspection, LLC Chicago, IL mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom 847-475-5668
my old water heater developed a leak inside that put out the pilot. i truned off the gas and water, near 24 hours later i turned on the water long enough for a shower, the water was nice and hot.
a couple hours later in installed the new tank.
turning the burner off isnt going to save much at all
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Can-I-put-a-timer-on-a-basic-gas-water-heater-128801-.htm jeffreyd wrote:
peter wrote: There is a gas water heater timer for you. Just Google gas water heater timer. It is a great product.