can I polyurethane over flat latex paint?

I'm painting some wood storage cubes for my sons' bedroom. I'd like to use some of the extra wall paint so I don't have to buy more. We used Ben Moore washable flat latex on the walls, but I'd like to have a bit more gloss on the cubes. Can I put a few coats of clear polyurethane over the paint when I'm done to give it the gloss, or do I have to go out and buy gloss paint in the same color (something I'd like to avoid). If I can, should I use water or oil-based polyurethane? Thanks. -Holly
Water based poly oughta work OK.

Moore
in
: I'm painting some wood storage cubes for my sons' bedroom. I'd like to use : some of the extra wall paint so I don't have to buy more. We used Ben Moore : washable flat latex on the walls, but I'd like to have a bit more gloss on : the cubes. Can I put a few coats of clear polyurethane over the paint when : I'm done to give it the gloss, or do I have to go out and buy gloss paint in : the same color (something I'd like to avoid). If I can, should I use water : or oil-based polyurethane? : Thanks. : -Holly :
I've done so successfully on many occasions... I always use water-based (latex) paints and 'Minwax water-based polycrylic'.
A couple caveats - The clear coat 'will' alter the original color slightly (darken) and you'll pay more for the clearcoat than you would for the same amount of paint in a gloss...
YMMV
Rick
: : I've done so successfully on many occasions... I always use water-based : (latex) paints and 'Minwax water-based polycrylic'. : : A couple caveats - The clear coat 'will' alter the original color slightly : (darken) and you'll pay more for the clearcoat than you would for the same : amount of paint in a gloss... : : YMMV : : Rick :
And one more thing, don't use a roller to apply the clearcoat else you'll end up with a 'pebbly' finish... unless you go over it with a brush DAMHIK.
Rick
snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com wrote:

You can and the poly will do a good job of protecting the paint. I would use water base polyurethane and put on several coats.
Wouldnt it be simpler and cheaper (than buying poly) to just get a gallon of semi gloss?

I already have more than half a can of water-based poly from another project, as well as oil-based left over from our recently installed hardwood floors, so I'm set no matter what. I'm going with straight poly on some additional cubes for other rooms, so I'll be doing them anyways. My goal is to avoid buying anything for this particular project. We have so many partial cans of paint, poly, primer, and everything else! -Holly

of
use
on
Holly wrote:

Since you've used both the water based and oil based poly, I imagine you already know that the water based will not yellow the way the oil based will. So if you have any concerns about the color's changing on the cubes over time, you are better off with the water based. Personally, I always use the water based for a variety of reasons, including yellowing by oil based, drying time, ease of cleanup, smell, etc.
I've used WB poly over latex that had dried and mostlycured several times without problems.