Can I pick my kid's MASTER combination lock to re-use them

if you box them up and send them to master they will return them with the combos. I've done this a few times in my life.

Steve Barker

Now THAT is a great suggestion I had not ever imagined. Simple and straight-forward.

I was intriuged by the discovery method the OP was pursuing but it sure seems like a lot of fuss for a cheap lock. The factory return postage seems to be a reasonable alternative to endless dial twisting.

Reply to
Smarty

I'm totally serious.

.

You're joking ... right?

We're talking about a master combination lock.

Not the keys to Leavenworth.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got my first lock related job in 1984, I think it was. Cutting keys, only. Moved from that to a job with a full service locksmith. Worked there for about a year, and then went into business for myself. I've been a locksmith for over twenty years.

.

He's serious about this. Doubt he's a locksmith. Maybe he read a book and thinks he is. Or he changed a couple locksets. He's a trailer park birther. What do you expect? Them cheap Masterlock combos are "top secret." I used to pick the old ones by "feel." Last time I tried one a few years ago I lost patience and didn't open it. Didn't care either. How to do it is probably all over the internet, but hidden from jokers like the one who is here top-posting inane crap.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I still have a master combination lock stuck to my bicycle panier bag. I cannot access the master lock web site to retrieve my combination, and members from this fine group, rightfully so I guess, are reluctant to look up the combination for me. The lock is positioned so I could easily damage the fabric of the bag if I slip with the hack saw blade, and trying out different combinations is VERY awkward.

So I guess we are both SOL!

Reply to
homepc

Why not? You don't have a library, or similar nearby with both computers and an Internet connection? No friends?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

And still haven't learned not to top post.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

It takes 10 seconds to shim these open.

Just give your kids a shim and don't worry about the combination.

Reply to
TimR

use a bolt cutter then.

Reply to
Steve Barker

How do we know that the lock in question isn't securing some little girl's bicyle to her back porch? Or a veteran's wheel chair to his van? Or the shed where I store my new riding mower?

Does only Leavenworth have locks that shouldn't be touched?

You say your "teen" has a bunch of them, but how do we know that you even have kids?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Easy-peasy!

Bernie Ward

Thanks, Dad.

.

How do we know that the lock in question isn't securing some little girl's bicyle to her back porch? Or a veteran's wheel chair to his van? Or the shed where I store my new riding mower?

Does only Leavenworth have locks that shouldn't be touched?

You say your "teen" has a bunch of them, but how do we know that you even have kids?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've been reading this newsgroup for over 10 years and I don't ever recall a real locksmith, honorable or otherwise, ever posting here.

Reply to
Larry W

Take them to a locksmth.

Reply to
Twayne

Good point. You don't.

But you have to wonder WHO would secure anything of great value with a Master combination lock, when clearly, according to the information on the web, it's a fifteen-minute affair to crack them open.

Note: It took me at least a half hour NOT to open the first one I tried, but, I assume I made a mistake in determining the critical magic number.

Reply to
J.G.

Heh heh.

That will work 'if' my goal was to obtain what is locked; but in this case, bolt cutters would only free the air between the hasp!

Reply to
J.G.

What fun would that be?

You have to admit, being 'clever' enough (to read the Internet how to) pick a lock is fun in and of itself.

It's not about the money ... it's about the satisfaction.

I'm going to try the procedures again - but - I admit - they're a bit tedious because the magic 3rd number is all important. Get it wrong, and you're doomed.

Get it right, and the lock opens (they say) within fifteen minutes.

Reply to
J.G.

I'm glad you're trying this. Now I won't ever waste my time with it for sure. Thanks for your public service efforts.

Reply to
Vic Smith

That wouldn't be any fun at all ... and who is on these newsgroups who isn't a fun kind of guy ... but if it isn't a myth, then it would serve the 'other' goal, which is to obtain the combination.

Looking for details to see if it is a myth, I go here:

They have a FAQ with the exact question:
Q: I've forgotten the combination to my standard dial combination lock. How do I obtain the combination for personal use?

A: A) My lock does not have a serial number: To provide enhanced long?term security, Master Lock has discontinued imprinting a serial number on the lock body on combination locks sold through retail locations. For greater convenience, we encourage consumers to store their combination at our secure website, Masterlockvault.com, which is easy to use and offers 24/7 access. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide combinations for non?serialized locks, if the user did not register with Masterlockvault.com. Please see examples of a serial number or date code if you are unsure if your lock contains either one.

So, unless I read that answer wrong, it's a myth that you can just box up your retail-bought combination lock and send it to them.

Or did I read the FAQ wrong?

Reply to
J.G.

How can you say "clearly" it's a 15 minute affair to crack them open, when "clearly" you couldn't do it in the allotted time?

Reply to
DerbyDad03