Can I pick my kid's MASTER combination lock to re-use them

Page 2 of 3

How do we know that the lock in question isn't securing some little girl's bicyle to her back porch? Or a veteran's wheel chair to his van? Or the shed where I store my new riding mower?
Does only Leavenworth have locks that shouldn't be touched?
You say your "teen" has a bunch of them, but how do we know that you even have kids?
Easy-peasy!
http://www.harborfreight.com/42-inch-bolt-cutters-41151.html
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:06:08 -0400, Bernie Ward wrote:

Heh heh.
That will work 'if' my goal was to obtain what is locked; but in this case, bolt cutters would only free the air between the hasp!
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 23:17:16 +0000 (UTC), "J.G."

I'm glad you're trying this. Now I won't ever waste my time with it for sure. Thanks for your public service efforts.
--
Vic

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:22:25 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

I agree. The first URL, however well intentioned, simply wasted my time.
The other URLs I found were EXCELLENT.
However, the key is finding the 1 out of 12 stopping arcs whose centerpoint is the 3rd number of the combination.
If you find that 3rd number, you're home free.
However, if you goof (as I must have), you are back to 64K combinations instead of just 100.
Sigh...
On 8/22/2012 4:06 PM, Bernie Ward wrote:

Heck, the locksmiths I know use a cordless circular saw with an abrasive metal cutting blade and zip right through any kind of lock with a hardened shackle. ^_^
TDD
Thanks, Dad.

How do we know that the lock in question isn't securing some little girl's bicyle to her back porch? Or a veteran's wheel chair to his van? Or the shed where I store my new riding mower?
Does only Leavenworth have locks that shouldn't be touched?
You say your "teen" has a bunch of them, but how do we know that you even have kids?
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:09:51 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Good point. You don't.
But you have to wonder WHO would secure anything of great value with a Master combination lock, when clearly, according to the information on the web, it's a fifteen-minute affair to crack them open.
Note: It took me at least a half hour NOT to open the first one I tried, but, I assume I made a mistake in determining the critical magic number.

How can you say "clearly" it's a 15 minute affair to crack them open, when "clearly" you couldn't do it in the allotted time?
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 23:28:19 +0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Only because the web sites say so. Note: I took a lot of time to document the effort also!
Actually, 'they' say (on the web sites) that it's a 10-minute affair, because all you really do are these steps:
1. You find the 12 stopping arcs and then determine the 1 true stopping point (which is your 3rd number of the combination).
2. Then, you simply calculate the ten possible 2nd and ten possible 1st numbers based on a very simple formula.
3. Then you brute force the 100 resulting combination triads.
Of course, the reason it takes LONGER than the promised 10 minutes is: a) It takes practice to find the 3rd number b) If you goof on the 3rd number, the rest is a waste of time c) It takes practice to find the 3rd number
Now I know why they said to practice on a lock that you KNOW the combination to!

I forget what web site I found with the instructions, but I've successfully opened two Master combo locks using on-line procedures. In both instances, my teenage daughters had lost/forgotten the combinations.
The first one took a couple of attmepts to find the right stopping points. The second one was a bit more distinct in its behaviour, and I think I got it open in fairly short order.
It's certainly not a quick & easy process unless, perhaps, you do it a LOT. It was interesting to do, but from an economics standpoint, minimum wage would get you a working lock quicker.
Doug White
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 02:51:39 +0000, J.G. wrote:

Guess what?
If you're incarcerated in Fort Leavenworth, you still 'can' get the manufacturer to give you the combination!
Says so right here (but it has to have a serial number): http://www.masterlock.com/faq/LostCombinations /
Note: Inmates at a correctional facility - in addition to the lost combination form, you must submit your request on official prison letterhead. In lieu of notarization, the form must be signed by a prison official.
:)

I've been reading this newsgroup for over 10 years and I don't ever recall a real locksmith, honorable or otherwise, ever posting here.

http://www.wikihow.com/Crack-a-%22Master-Lock%22-Combination-Lock

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:12:04 -0700, a2rjh wrote:

Nice. I'll try that.
Here's what a locksmith mailed me when I asked him:
"It's not worth the cost of a new lock.
You can try to shim it open (old models not too hard, newer models hard) then look inside with a light while holding back the latch, line up the gates on the wheels and apply a correction factor to get the combo.
Or, drill a small hole in the back in the right spot, feel for the gates with a pin and apply correction factor to each number if needed.
I've done it but it's not worth the few dollars for a new one. Then etch the combo on the back of each one in some kind of code.
For example, say you were born 3/15/1990 and say your combination lock is 10:20:30, you write 7:5:60 on the back. Only you know the math to get back to the combination by adding or subtracting your birth date."

Every single one of those Master combination padlocks left the factory with a six digit number etched on the back in the center of the circular depression on the back of the lock case...
If the locks had key override function then the number of the registered key would by etched below the serial number...
That serial number matches the number on the code tag which came stuck to the back of the lock...
You could take the locks to a real locksmith who has invested in the code software and can look up the serial number to see if a combination is listed but not every locksmith pays to be able to access that information...
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 20:30:07 -0700, Evan wrote:

I know exactly what you're talking about as I have some locks that do have that number etched on the back.
But the set I am tackling does NOT have any number on the back.
They are clearly MASTER combination locks - but they just as clearly do not have any numbers etched on the back plate.
On 08/21/2012 09:35 PM, J.G. wrote:

the price of a consumer grade padlock. Even if I knew of a procedure I wouldn't spend the time. Buy a new lock (Master Lock will appreciate it.) Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 06:15:04 -0400, J.B. Wood wrote:

What fun would that be?
You have to admit, being 'clever' enough (to read the Internet how to) pick a lock is fun in and of itself.
It's not about the money ... it's about the satisfaction.
I'm going to try the procedures again - but - I admit - they're a bit tedious because the magic 3rd number is all important. Get it wrong, and you're doomed.
Get it right, and the lock opens (they say) within fifteen minutes.
On 8/22/12 4:19 PM, J.G. wrote:

Agreed! Think of them as mechanical puzzles.

Yep!
The Master 1500 series has a very long history. Early ones were trivial to determine the third number.
Recently they've been made offshore but I hear that they're bringing some manufacturing back to Milwaukee. The Chinese ones may not have serial numbers, and they may have abandoned the modulo-4 combination scheme with middle digit offset by 2. Or it's possible that yours are counterfeit.
Read and offset. Shim it with a strip cut from a beer can, peer through the opening, dial the combination that lines up the notches where you can see them. Then lock it and offset all numbers by the same amount incrementing by one until it opens.
When you determine the offset, then you can apply it to the other locks.
As others have suggested, don't depend on these for much security.