Can I Parge with Sand Mix??

I need to parge the face of about half a dozen conrete blocks. I have some leftover sand mix. Will it work or do I need mortar?
Parging uses a portland cement and lime/sand mix and is commonly used to cover unsightly exterior brick, where the mortar has turned to sand.
http://www.thehomeguild.com/serendipity/index.php?/categories/1-Glazes-and-Compounds

no, you need the lime to make it sticky