Can I paint treated plywood on shed floor?

Well, I just finished step 5 of the sheet metal shed I bought from Home Depot, where I have laid the plywood floor, 3/4" treated plywood. It is messy, with whatever chemical it has on it, and I was wondering if it's ok to paint the floor (just the top side) so it's a bit nicer. I suppose I wouldn't sand it, lest I remove the treatment from the surface. Still, I didn't know if painting it is a bad idea. I'd like to do it before I put up the walls and roof tomorrow. I don't want to do the wrong thing, since I spent nearly as much for the wood as I did for the whole shed kit. Cheers, Joe

Reply to
Joe Weaks

According to Joe Weaks :

Don't sand treated wood unless you absolutely have to. The dust is toxic.

If the plywood is lying on the ground (or concrete slab) I wouldn't paint it, because the paint will keep moisture in the plywood.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

-118425.news.uni-berlin.de...

Last time I bought pressure treated, the manufacturer said not to do anything to it for a year. The chemicals will dry up over time. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Joe Weaks

Why buy treated if you want to paint it????????? Take it back, buy some marine plywood (if you want to spend money), prime all sides, paint all sides x2. By the time you are done, you could have poured a slab for less :o)

Reply to
norminn

I have no idea about that. The year was because paint would not stick very well. PT wood is not as toxic as it once was, but you may want to check with the manufacturer for details. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

According to snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net :

Because if you use untreated plywood in a very moist environment (flooring directly on dirt or directly over dirt with little ventilation), it's going to rot whether it's painted or not. In fact, under some circumstances it'll rot _faster_ if it's painted.

Except for some of the exotic rot-resistant woods used in some marine plywoods, ground-contact floor plywood MUST be treated (and "foundation grade" to boot) to last any significant amount of time.

Dry PT plywood where all cutting dust has been removed during construction is pretty innocuous unless you chew on it. I wouldn't worry too much on that score. Or lay down plastic sheeting where you store the toys. Or, wait a year and paint it with an exterior breathable latex paint or transparent stain.

That being said, if you're concerned, putting some sort of breathable covering over the treated plywood would probably be better than painting. Ie: cheap exterior carpeting with some sort of open-mesh backing.

The SO made me install vinyl (cheap HD roll-ends) in a shed renovation we did. I believe the original floor wasn't PT. Despite making considerable effort to improve under-shed ventilation, I'm a little worried I'll be replacing the floor plywood in a few years due to the vinyl making the floor more-or-less perfectly impervious to moisture.

Reply to
Chris Lewis