Can I notch a beam?

I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8 feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space!
Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So, something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking maybe I could just notch the beam?
A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is 11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load bearing wall 10 years ago) or
B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the cabinet or is that ever done?
Thanks for the help!
Debra

If this is on the ground floor of a 2 story house I might not do it. How thick is the "beam" ? Personally I would notch out the cabinet and run the beam through it as long as it doesn't interfere too much with doors. Stupid ? Nope - it will probably be a neat topic of converstaion with visiters.

Not necesarily. That depends on the notch location, inter alia.
Nick

Question: Do you understand the difference between can and will, Nick?
Answer: Not necessarily.

The beam is load bearing, so before notching it you would have to either have an engineer evaluate it or read up on beam capacity and be pretty darn sure its OK. Trimming the cabinet is probably better. Trimming the top might be preferable since that space way up there is kinda less useful anyway. You could cut off just enough to make it fit, or cut off another foot or foot-and-a-half and use the top as a shelf to put seldom-used or decorative objects (i.e. things on the cabinet rather than in it). Or you might be able to trim the bottom of the cabinet instead of the top: does it stand on legs, or have a skirt or toe-kick at the bottom? -- H

Why not just notch the cabinet? It's distressed already. How much more upset could it get?

No. If anyone asks, tell them it was built that way. In place. By the master furniture maker Fiorentini.

If you notch the beam, just imagine how it will look when you remove the cabinet. Or when a possible buyer envisions removing it.
You'll have to leave the cabinet, but he might not want it.

Imagine how silly it will look with a sag in the floor above it.
Put it upstairs and cut a hole in the roof for it instead.

Knock a hole in the floor. It will match the hole in your head.

This is a horribly bad idea.
DebraG wrote:

I like Steve's advice. Other than that, you need a structural engineer to check it out. Anything else is a risk, a bigger risk than I would take. It is possible to do what you want, but it may mean reinforcing the beam.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:36:43 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"

Maybe the beam could be held up with a wood cabinet? :)

Oh my. The only advice you should accept from a newsgroup is to get a structural engineer to take a peak. The solutoin might be as easy as sistering, however get an expert. The cost of an inspection, will be cheaper than a later massive repair. ;)
later,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
Which peak? Everest? Matterhorn?
I'm with you -- see if you can find a structural engineer to come out and examine the situation.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Paying them good money, I want solutions not more problems. ;)
later,
tom
|I purchased an old "distressed" wood cabinet for my kitchen that is 8 | feet long by 8 feet high. Lots of storage space! | | Problem is, the ceiling beam runs 2 and 1/2 inches BELOW 8 feet! So, | something has to go. I can cut the cabinet down, but was thinking | maybe I could just notch the beam? | | A. Would that affect the beam's load capacity too much? The beam is | 11 feet long by 10 inches deep. (It was put there to replace a load | bearing wall 10 years ago) or | | B. Would it just look too stupid to have the beam run through the | cabinet or is that ever done? | | | Thanks for the help! | | Debra |
cut down (rip) the toe kick part of the cabinet (not the top) and never cut or notch a beam.

You know what he meant- put it on the wall parallel to the beam, not the wall it intersects.
aem sends....