Can I move my furnace & hotwater vent chimney?

I just moved into a colonial home built in the mid-1940s. It has a gas furnace and hot water heater located in the basement near the rear of the house, just a little left of center.

The units vent into a brick chimeny that runs from the floor of the basement up through the kitchen on the 1st floor, through a dormered bedroom on the 2nd floor and out of the roof. The reason I want to move the chimney is because of that bedroom. The chimney runs almost through the middle of the room!

I understand that I could replace the furnace and hot water heater with direct vent models that do not require a chimney, but the current units are fairly new and in decent condition and I'd rather try to find a more economical solution.

Can I take down the current chimney, use some ductwork to get the exhaust to an exterior wall, and then build a new chimney on the outside of the house? I was thinking a simple cinder block chimeny that is out of the way and not very fancy.

Any ideas qould be greatly appreciated as I am not much of a do-it-yourselfer....yet.

Thank you.

Reply to
Richard Diaz

Ummm... you're thinking that this will be more economical? Not.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

If you live where there is zoning and inspection, talk to the bldg dep't first to see what rules may apply.

In any event, you're talking about a huge job to remove that chimney from the interior.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Had a cinder block chimney long ago. Royal PITA. It's like a sponge letting water run all over where it's not wanted. Don't even think about it. Why not start a styling trend and install a double wall stainless steel stack up the side of the house? KInd of like a cruise ship... Or you could conceal it with a framed faux brick enclosure. An architect will have better ideas, and might save you some money, too. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Or just install a "class B" vent up through the house in a corner somewhere and box it in with framing and drywall. Class B's are much smaller and easy to install when compared with a masonry chimney and much less trouble.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Outside chimneys may not draft as well as an inside chimney due to being cooler, not to say it won't work, just that it may be more problematic, also you may be limited as to how far you can go w/ horizontal fluepipe to get to the new outside chimney either by coder or by the appliance requirements -- check w/ both bldg inspector or other AHJ and w/ the appliance manufacturer or w/ a heating contractor familiar w/ both the particular equipment and the local codes. Moving the appliances may be an option too however. Double walled metal chimney, perhaps enclosed in new structure, up the side of the house *may* be an option too, vs masonry, one sometimes sees this in new construction. Possibily one or both appliances can be converted to forced draft direct vent -- check w/ the manufacturer (also check that you have a location for the direct vent to exit than meets code requirements with respect to distance from doors, windows, decks, etc. It is hard to say w/ certanty w/o seeing the particular installation an dw/o knowing the local codes in force.

Reply to
The Masked Marvel

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I guess my best bet is to bring in a heating contractor to take a look at the house and the equipment and give me some ideas. At least I now know that there are other options besides just moving the chimney.

Thanks again, Rich

Reply to
Richard Diaz