Can I make my own Screen Cleaner?

Can I make my own Screen Cleaner for a LCD HDTV and LCD computer monitor?
The stuff they sell is outrageously expensive for that tiny bottle. The old CRT screens could be cleaned with plain window glass cleaner, or even just plain water. I did try to wipe my monitor with plain water, bit it shows streaks now.
I'm sure there is a simple household cleaner that can be used or mixed for this. But what????
I know that plastics are not as forgiving as glass....
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Why not glass cleaner?
As for the small bottle, how often do you clean your screen? I do mine maybe once a year (or after an wall-shaking sneeze). Well, truth be told, maybe once every three years...

a plastics center, where they sell sheet acrylic etc.

If I left my screen for a year without cleaning, I would not be able to see the screen anymore. Of course I live on a farm and in summer the windows are open and dust tends to get into everything. Maybe in today's concrete jungles (cities) and homes that never see outside air due to an AC in summer, it might be cleaner air as far as dust, but I wonder how go it is to breathe.
Anyhow, I'll have to look at ingredients on bottles. Walmart sells a screen cleaning kit. Over $20 for a bottle about 2 oz of cleaner and a piece of cloth. I refuse to pay that.
BTW: We still have an old CRT tv in one room. You know how those would attract dust, and we have to clean that every 2 weeks. but those are easy to clean.
On 1/4/2012 2:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

http://www.pristaerospace.com/hi-flash/safety/MSDS%20-%20PRIST%20Cleaner%205gal.pdf
As I previously mentioned, the dilute rubbing alcohol will do.
On 1/4/2012 3:01 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I'd try water with maybe 10-20 percent isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) in it. Should be safe for plastic.
The glass cleaner from Amway used to say not to use on car windshields. I'd be tempted to go to the grocery store, see what they have. Read, if it's safe for plastics.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Jan 4, 1:01am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Contact TAP Plastics. They know their stuff. http://www.tapplastics.com
San Leandro, CA HQ tel: 510 357 3755
Their products, and advice, stopped the plastic hazing caused by alcohol in the cleaners we were using.
[not associated with, or benefit from]
jw wrote:

I've had good luck with very warm water. Wipe with a decent quality soft paper towel, then wipe dry with a decent quality soft paper towel.
--
Tony Sivori
On Jan 4, 3:01am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Best thing for computer or TV screen and your glasses is a microfiber cloth and very little distilled water. Never try to clean a hot or even a warm screen.
This will do the job no matter what they are made of.
Jimmie

Fabric softener-free microfiber cloth.
Softener (or soap) remaining in the fabric can cause streaking. Might be what the OP is experiencing. -----
- gpsman

I have a microfiber terry cloth I use on the really nasty screens. Think I got them from Clear Screen. That may be with a K instead of a C. Used to get there spray too but my friend who works with lasers reccomened just using distilled water. Should never use alcohol or ammonia product on LCD or Plasma displays. About all that is left is distilled HOH.
Jimmie
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com writes:

A while back I read about 10 sites on this very subject.
A common theme was:
Microfiber cloth Distilled water White Vinegar
Water and Vinegar is 1/2 to 1/2.
--
Dan Espen

On Jan 4, 3:01am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Don't know how dirty your screens get but I use two old T-shirts. One damp with tepid tap water and the other dry. Wipe it down with the wet then use the dry to prevent streaks.
On Jan 4, 2:01am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I use a damp (not wet) microfiber cloth - no soap or cleaner of any kind.
RonB