Can I leave the oil furnace emergency switch off?

Can I use the Emergency Turn Off for extended periods to turn off my oil furnace? I'm afraid it disconnects the power to my thermostat and will run the thermostat battery down.
At the moment, it's hard for me to reach the thermostat, but there is a switch next to the door in the basement with a red wall plate around it marked Emergency Turn Off.
mm wrote:

If your thermostat is powered by the furnace, then yes you will run down the battery.
On the other hand, your thermostat may be powered by the battery only. In that case, it won't matter if the switch is off or not.
Brad
Thanks Edwin. The furnace doesn't heat the hot water. that's separate and electric.
On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 19:20:02 GMT, Brad Bruce

This is the part I didn't know. I guess it makes sense, that this red switch is the AC power for the entire furnace. Sometimes I don't think too clearly, and I didn't see anything in the furnace owner's manual. Thanks.

I've been using the same battery for 20 years, so I doubt it. :-)

OK, I"ll go turn off the furnace at the thermostat, and turn it back on at the red switch.
You know I guess this means I've been running the control board of the furnace for at least 5 months a year for 20 years when I was using neither heat nor AC. Maybe I should have turned the furnace off and paid for replacement batteries.
Which would be better for the envirionment and energy prices?

Oops. I went to the thermostat and the display was empty. I guess the battery died! Some time in the last 20 years, or most likely the last 3 or 5.I don't know when, because I haven't had a light in the diningroom for about 3 years. (I just fixed it.). This particular set-back thermostat using mechanical settings of the tempersatures and setback times, and applicable days.. The only thing the battery did was make sure the actual time was right.
But thanks for your answer. It is very valuable to me.
How about if it's a T87? I don't know if anyone asked the OP to describe the thermostat.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Yes, you can use the switch, but what type of system do you have? Does it also make the how water for your domestic use? turning it off and on frequently can do more harm that the fuel saved. The constant expansion and contraction of the boiler puts a lot of stress on it. If by extended period you are talking about a week or two, yes, it will save. If you are talking hours or overnight, no, don't do it.