Can I just use primer, with no paint?

Odd question, I'm sure, but after priming our bathroom walls and ceiling, including the ceiling inside the shower, we painted the walls a darker color, but were going to paint the ceiling white. Since the primer was white, is there a problem with just leaving it as is, or does the paint provide something that the primer doesn't. I'm guessing that the latex provides some water resistance, but just guessing. Thanks.
albee wrote:

I believe you will want to use a paint. That said, the ceiling is one surface that you might be able to get away with it. Your problem is likely to be exactly what you point out. Moisture could become a problem. Likely the primer is not mold resistant, any good bathroom paint should be, and it is going to be far more permeable that a paint would be.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Primer wont look as good, seal as well, be as mold resistant or be as cleanable as paint. A bath ceiling is one area a mold resistant washable paint should be used, there are paints designed for the harsh environments of baths.

Not in a bathroom.

You stopped too short: moisture *will* become a problem.
--
Regards,

Don't try to "cheap out" on the biggest investment of your life, your house. Primer is designed to do just that, prime the surface for real paint. It does not offer the protection, moisture resistance, etc, that even the cheapest ceiling paint will have.
You should have painted the ceiling first. Makes it easier to cut in, less chance of drips getting on the finished walls.
Those "bathroom" paints are great. MUCH less, if any, problem with mildew, which will show up on a ceiling in a moist bathroom.

You could get away with that in most rooms, but the two where you shouldn't even think about trying it are the kitchen and the bathroom. Primer doesn't have anywhere near the moisture resistance of finish paint, and you WILL have mildew growing on that primer in a very short time. The best choice for a bathroom ceiling is a high-quality gloss or semi-gloss OIL-based paint.
And next time, paint the ceiling before you paint the walls -- that way, the roller spatters from painting the ceiling will get covered up when you do the walls. :-)
--
Regards,
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:54:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

towards NOT using the primer alone :) And thanks for the additional re: doing the ceiling first. Doh... I sure did Homer that bathroom!