Can I haul a new water heater home on its side?

Page 3 of 3

I concede and bow to your greater patience for lame answers to newsgroup questions.
JK
snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote in

Tie it upright to the front bumper like you're haulin' home a trophy buck that you just shot.
In article

I was told years ago not to transport water heaters horizontally because their long internal Magnesium anode rods are fragile suspended out supported only by one end.
In the real world, I've transported 8 or 10 new ones horizontally through the years, but have always been extra careful of road bumps, and to not to mechanically 'shock' the heater while on it's side.
If you do break a rod, you won't have any way of knowing, and it won't 'rear' it's ugly head till the tank rusts through pre-maturely...
Erik

You wouldn't hear the broken rod rattling around in the inside of the heater as you installed it?
JK