Can I haul a new water heater home on its side?

Do I need to take the trailer to HD to get a new water heater or can I lay the box on its side in the bed of my truck? I have a fiberglass topper and the heater is too tall to stand up.

The boxes say "This side up" and whatnot, but it's a water heater... I'd like to save gas and just get the heater on the way home instead of making a special trip.

Reply to
mkirsch1

It should be fine on the side. I think they are just trying to protect the top (pipe stub outs).

Reply to
gfretwell

The warning signs are likely for the warehouse crew to protect against damage to accessories stored in the top of the box. To be on the safe side, avoid potholes and speed bumps on the way home if heater is on its side. HTH

Joe.

Reply to
Joe

Yes, you can lay it on it's side, unless it's one of the new ones that comes pre-filled with water. You know, like the antifreeze they have now that comes with 50% water as a convenience.

I'd say the this side up is the preferred shipping and/or stacking direction. But for an easy ride in a truck, side will be fine.

Reply to
trader4

Could the anode rod break if it is on its side?

Reply to
ransley

I wouldn't try it. Most if not all of the preheated water that is installed at the factory will leak out. Water heaters are notoriously hard to prime if the factory installed water gets out.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

On 8/21/2008 10:03 AM Limp Arbor spake thus:

That's right. You sure don't want to lose that "new water heater" smell, either.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Hot water doesn't need heating.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Walk around the carton. Look for "truck from this side"! :-))

Short answer: yes, haul it.

Reply to
Oren

When you're picking up your water heater, splurge on some tie-down ratchet straps. Put the WH upright in your pickup, and strap it in place. You just solved both problems at once, and you have new straps for future use.

Reply to
SteveBell

The truck topper prevents vertical strapping of the tank, right?

Skip the tie-downs, ime...

Reply to
Oren

1 - Cut a hole in the topper just a tad bigger then the box. 2 - Slip the box in up-right 3 - At home, take the WH out of the box and put the box back in the hole for extra storage 4 - Stay out of the rain
Reply to
DerbyDad03

I believe most have a glass lining that is more vulnerable on the sides. Be careful however, and you should be OK.

Reply to
Ken

I've got plenty of tie-down straps.

What I don't have is overhead clearance to stand the water heater upright anywhere in the pickup. It's about 5'6" tall in the box, and I've only got 2' of clearance under the fiberglass topper. Even raised, I've only got 3'6" of clearance at the back of the bed.

I just checked the box a little more closely. In one warning label, it depicts a water heater sticking out of the trunk of a car, and says, "Avoid hauling like this, but if you must haul it like this ensure adequate padding for the box."

So, they imply that it's okay to lay it on its side if necessary.

I'm only going about 5 miles over smooth road, and I'll drive slowly and carefully.

BTW, nowhere in any of this have I made the mistake of calling it a "HOT water heater," so NYAH-NYAH!!!! :)

Reply to
mkirsch1

Now that's a solution I didn't think of...

Reply to
mkirsch1

Hmm - better save the "neener-neener" stuff for when you have it installed and working without any problems...

:-D

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Have at least one helper to assist you. That way you can avoid any stresses that might result when pivoting the carton while loading into the truck.

Reply to
Jim

they haven't made glass lines ones for many, many years. they use ceramics instead, which is why you don't want to bounce them when on their side. you don't want to flex them in any way.

Reply to
charlie

Good example of why I always thought those semi-permanent bed-lid toppers just make a truck into a 2-door coupe with a huge trunk. Yeah, you can take them off, but it is such a pain that people never do.

But as to how to haul the heater- it isn't so much that you need padding, it is that you need to avoid kinking. Hauling cheap office file cabinets and refrigerators presents a similar problem. (Yeah, I know about the oil in fridges- you just have to let them sit a few days.) I'd either use some planks, or a sheet of stiff plywood, or a handtruck, and support the entire length of the item as it was leaned over into the bed. (I seldom had a helper available.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Sorry about that, Chief. I read too fast and missed the part where you mentioned the bed cap

Good on you. Now you just have to train yourself to call it a "COLD water heater". :)

Reply to
SteveBell