Can I haul a new water heater home on its side?

Page 1 of 3

Do I need to take the trailer to HD to get a new water heater or can I lay the box on its side in the bed of my truck? I have a fiberglass topper and the heater is too tall to stand up.
The boxes say "This side up" and whatnot, but it's a water heater... I'd like to save gas and just get the heater on the way home instead of making a special trip.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:49:33 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

It should be fine on the side. I think they are just trying to protect the top (pipe stub outs).
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:24:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

In separate years, I've taken two home on the trunk and lowered top of my LeBaron.
The Sears ones don't claim to be glass lined, and they only have a translucent whitish vinyl liner. So it's not going to break, but that's not any more likely on the side versus the bottom.
I've also carried on separate occasions two spinet pianos on the lowered top and trunk when I had a full size convertible. I put a double bed mattress on the trunk and I go very slow, 5 or 10 mph where there are chuckholes.

Some readers here might remember that my WH top was caved in a half inch or more, and one of the pipes was no longer exactly vertical, but I installed it anyhow last winter and so far so good.
Especially since there is a vinyl liner and no glass liner, I don't expect any shortening of the WH life.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Aug 21, 10:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

The warning signs are likely for the warehouse crew to protect against damage to accessories stored in the top of the box. To be on the safe side, avoid potholes and speed bumps on the way home if heater is on its side. HTH
Joe.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Aug 21, 11:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Yes, you can lay it on it's side, unless it's one of the new ones that comes pre-filled with water. You know, like the antifreeze they have now that comes with 50% water as a convenience.
I'd say the this side up is the preferred shipping and/or stacking direction. But for an easy ride in a truck, side will be fine.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hot water doesn't need heating.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:09:00 -0400, Blattus Slafaly
[snip]

No, but heating it does take less energy than heating cold water. People do it to save on their energy bills.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I've always carried them laying down and have never had a problem. I was once told that the only reason that statement is on the box is to keep people from laying it on the side that has the controls on it.
Whatever.
Add pictures here
βœ–
JC wrote:

I suspect that it also stops people from laying it on its side and then piling another stack of water heaters on top of it.
My air compressor had a similar warning on the box.
--John
βœ–
On Aug 21, 10:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Could the anode rod break if it is on its side?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Aug 21, 11:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

I wouldn't try it. Most if not all of the preheated water that is installed at the factory will leak out. Water heaters are notoriously hard to prime if the factory installed water gets out.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/21/2008 10:03 AM Limp Arbor spake thus:

That's right. You sure don't want to lose that "new water heater" smell, either.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
βœ–
βœ–
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:49:33 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Walk around the carton. Look for "truck from this side"! :-))
Short answer: yes, haul it.
Add pictures here
βœ–

When you're picking up your water heater, splurge on some tie-down ratchet straps. Put the WH upright in your pickup, and strap it in place. You just solved both problems at once, and you have new straps for future use.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

The truck topper prevents vertical strapping of the tank, right?
Skip the tie-downs, ime...
Add pictures here
βœ–

I've got plenty of tie-down straps.
What I don't have is overhead clearance to stand the water heater upright anywhere in the pickup. It's about 5'6" tall in the box, and I've only got 2' of clearance under the fiberglass topper. Even raised, I've only got 3'6" of clearance at the back of the bed.
I just checked the box a little more closely. In one warning label, it depicts a water heater sticking out of the trunk of a car, and says, "Avoid hauling like this, but if you must haul it like this ensure adequate padding for the box."
So, they imply that it's okay to lay it on its side if necessary.
I'm only going about 5 miles over smooth road, and I'll drive slowly and carefully.
BTW, nowhere in any of this have I made the mistake of calling it a "HOT water heater," so NYAH-NYAH!!!! :)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hmm - better save the "neener-neener" stuff for when you have it installed and working without any problems...
:-D
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Good example of why I always thought those semi-permanent bed-lid toppers just make a truck into a 2-door coupe with a huge trunk. Yeah, you can take them off, but it is such a pain that people never do.
But as to how to haul the heater- it isn't so much that you need padding, it is that you need to avoid kinking. Hauling cheap office file cabinets and refrigerators presents a similar problem. (Yeah, I know about the oil in fridges- you just have to let them sit a few days.) I'd either use some planks, or a sheet of stiff plywood, or a handtruck, and support the entire length of the item as it was leaned over into the bed. (I seldom had a helper available.)
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sorry about that, Chief. I read too fast and missed the part where you mentioned the bed cap

Good on you. Now you just have to train yourself to call it a "COLD water heater". :)
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement