Can I get away with painting the trim pieces

I have an older standyne (MOEN bought em out) shower valve and control system. The beauty ring (I don't know what it's called) that snugs up to the tile is a pretty dated antique gold color. I looked at the HD replacement (with updated color - satin nickle) and it seems pretty chinsily made when compared to the original. Sooo...
Can I somehow paint the old beauty ring with a satin nickle spray paint. Would that even work? Should I etch the old metal somehow to develop a better "tooth" that would hold the new paint?
Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Djay

Call Moen - they are pretty liberal about sending out the small bits gratis. Otherwise, there is probably a real plumbing supply house near you who will have escutcheons for pretty cheap. The brand shouldn't matter.

They do make spray cans with that type of paint. I recently used brushed nickel to spray what once was a 1" EMT pipe for a curtain rod and it came out great.

I can't see what you're looking at from where I'm sitting, but while the HD replacement may look and feel "chinsy" while not installed, will it really make a difference once it's on the wall? It's not like it's going to take a lot of abuse. Obviously if *looks* like crap compared to the original then by all means try to get the original painted.

I can't see what you're looking at from where I'm sitting, but while the HD replacement may look and feel "chinsy" while not installed, will it really make a difference once it's on the wall? It's not like it's going to take a lot of abuse. Obviously if *looks* like crap compared to the original then by all means try to get the original painted.
Thanks for all of your suggested help. I think instead of going "redneck" I'll call Moen and see what they can do for me. I must admit that the whisky idea was a very well thought out plan. ;)
Djay