Can I do this? Outlet with cable and 120v in it?

I think I'd use a single metal box, and put a double-wide cover over it. Put a duplex 120V outlet in the box, and bring the coax to the center of the other half of the plate without a box behind it. It ought to look pretty good when it's installed, and the low voltage would be isolated from the high voltage. From the front it will look like there's a double gang box behind the cover. You might need to put some little plastic anchors behind the screw holes for the coax side of the cover.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

BWA HA HA HAAAA HA! Actually Steve, I think all of this bruhaha is over the exposed metal of the male f-connector on the edge of that vinyl/plastic insulated cable. But then again, you know how those black 120VAC wires just *swell up* to gargantuan size, or just sprout legs and start crawling around inside the box, seeking out that 1/2" by 3/8" ring of steel nestled up against the cover plate!

BTW, FWIW, I unsubed from hvac group, in case anybody wondered or was slammin' me, I'm not there to see it. You guys have served your sentence :-)

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Reply to
Art Todesco

Well shit...i kinda figured that, but still, if thats the case, I better get all over the electricians from running wires over the metalic sheath flex,or the metalic insulation wrapped around our metal ducts....god almightly...I mean...what if it shorts to the AC duct...or....better yet..(happened one time) what if someone forgets to wire up the grounds on some metallic sheath prewire shit, the hot gets nicked, and the entire strand is hot and touching something like a metallic suspended ceiling? (yea..got the shit knocked out of me one time that way) If everyones worried about that, go to Home Depot, lowes...or your local electrical supply, get a nice new orange low voltage box insert,and use that to insure that the magic metallic cable coax does not ever get bored and go visit Mr Hot Leg in the other half of the box..

Bottom line...if your wiring skills are that crappy, you have no need to be wiring a damn thing.

Its funny however how we can run 24VAC right beside 240VAC and dont have to do anything...better still, its nice how its wired on the same PC boards, that send voltage to your nice new thermostat that you are going to touch, and yet, when those boards short out as they do, no one gets hurt.....

No ones slammin you...you served yours..LOL

Reply to
steve

Thanks for the tip, I did not know they made/sold such a chunk of plastic.

INDEED. WE HAVE A BINGO!!!! Thank you!!! If you can't keep 2 or 3 pieces of 12 guage Romex together in a box, then stay the hell home. Let me go a step farther: If you fit that profile and still insist on doing your own hack wiring, then you *deserve* to get it up the butt from your insurance company.

Deal!

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

I hope you dont do electrical work for a living, your'e clueless abou NE

-- Rich123

Reply to
Rich123

I'll simply repeat. The process you suggest, is against code. It's against code because it is a life safety issue. I really don't care if you ignore codes and wire whatever the hell you wish, though it would be nice of you to notify any future purchasers of your property that you have done so.

There are many areas of this planet where codes don't exist. If you are in one of those jurisdictions I apologize if I've offended you. However, in every jurisdiction in the US, the NEC says you can't do this.

There's no attempt to scare anyone here. It's against the law to drive while intoxicated. Yet many people do so, and many of those suffer no consequences. But the risk to yourself and other increases. Why, when there are simple and inexpensive alternatives, would anyone promote increasing risks?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

I did see one thing that might work. If you used a 1.5" 1900 box, put a 1.5" goof ring in it and pulled the cable up through a bushing in the center KO it would be hold your nose legal. That is your barrier.

Reply to
Greg

I can see the inspector frowning on it. Cable doesn't require a box, so it's not that big an issue to install it properly a few inches from the outlet.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

I pity the people who you work for, you know nothing about common sense or good workmanship. You're a scared little robot.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

You guys amaze me. Why would you put together something like this, knowing it "may not be code", when the alternative, which does meet code, is to simply install a seperate box with cover plate for the cable. And then someday when you go to sell your house, the home inspector for the buyer is going to flag these make it up as you go jobs, and then you'll likely wind up having to do most of them the right way anyhow.

zxcvbob wrote:

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Maybe 'cause having 2 boxes almost right next to each other on your wall looks stupid, half-assed, and like the person who did it didn't have a clue?

Absolute total bullshit. You can dispute the report of any home inspector, and I'm sure any number of people here have anecdotal evidence of winning such disputes. Oh yeah, you can always rip up the offer sheet if the buyers insist on nitpicking you over ANY issue, not just a HI report. Of course, that involves the REAL WORLD, you sniveling theory-only codedrones wouldn't know that.

(couple hundred lines of shit snipped) You amaze me, you're a Usenet pig, you can't be bothered to trim a post. That's a Usenet code violation, loser. You're busted.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Don't touch it-- it might EXPLODE!!!!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

There are a number of good ways to do this. Since the bad ways have been covered I'll suggest that you install a 4"square box with a two gang plaster ring on it. The plaster ring has two slots in it to hold the divider plate that will separate the two devices. The cable TV goes on one side of the divider and the receptacle outlet is on the other.

-- Tom H

Reply to
HorneTD

In the real world, when you dispute the inspection report that finds the obvious electical code violations, the buyer just walks away. But then a guy like you would rather sell the house for $20K less to another moron who is too stupid to have an inspector find your code violations. That's makes so much more sense to you than just doing the work right in the first place by following code and putting in an extra box and cover plate, doesn't it? As for the smart guy who walked away, he's better off, because God only knows what other hidden safety hazards a guy like you created.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Do you have any idea how stupid this sounds?

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Here's what Tom told the guy to do and which you chimed in to support and still say is the "right" way to do it:

"I don't believe there is a receptacle and cover plate made for that combination. You could do it in a double box, with a standard duplex receptacle in one side and the other side would be empty, as long as you can find a faceplate with a duplex on one side and a round hole for a female mount F-connector in the other. Faiing that, you could buy one with the cable half blank and drill your own hole.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: Pay no attention to the nattering naybobs wo say "don't do it, don't mix xtuff!, no good!, dangerous!, blah, blah, blah." Total BS. Cable and 60 Hz consumer level AC exist side by side *EVERYwhere*, there is no need to keep them apart."

Besides insisting that this is the "right" way, do you also claim that mixing AC and cable in the same box as suggested above meets code? And your solution of using a larger cover plate to cover the AC outlet and provide a cable outlet, while it might meet code, is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I especially like the part about maybe using some little plastic anchors to secure the other side of the plate because there are no mating holes for the cover plate screws to go into. Talk about half assed and a waste of time when you could do it the right way cheap and easy.

Here's a hint - Ever see a cover plate with an AC outlet opening on one side and the cable connector on the other? Ever think there could be a reason why?

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Actually I have, and I bought one today because Wife wanted to move the TV to another room. It's a Decora style CATV jack, and can either be put in a box, or attached directly to the wall with screws. Attach it to the wall next to an existing outlet, cover it with a double faceplate with a duplex on one side and a decora on the other (I bought one of them too), and tada! A good looking installation with the 120V isolated from the coax by a metal box.

Regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Uhhh, that's the subject of the discussion. Are you even capable of paying attention, or just spewing "code! code! code!!"?

Which would supply as much of a mounting method for the plate as would a common "plaster ring" that's used everywhere in placing CATV outlets.

Too specialized. There is a "self serve custom" system out there, it allows you to buy pieces and assemble your own plate for special combinations. Here's betting they have an insert available with a hole for a panel mount f-connector.

Keep making ASS U mptions, ASS U ming that this situation would indicate "the tip of the iceberg" indicating the poor quality of the person's work. I can do this instance and make it physically impossible for the hot wire to *ever* touch that f-connector, and yes, I know how to torque that connector down so it will not magically jump off of that barrel and go find the light switch. Oh yeah, I also know how to wrap two wires around screw terminals on a switch and tighten them down.

Yeah, I know: the sky is falling!!! Don't do that, it will set your house on fire and your insurnace company will not pay you. What an immense crock of shit. Your fantasy doomsday scenario is an indicator of your assumed self- superiority, that only you know how to do anything right. God help your mate in life, they'll need it.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

It's you that has the superiority complex, since you think you know more than the teams of professionals that wrote the electrical code. A code that is there for a reasonn, certainly so in the case of not mixing cable and AC in the same box, like you recommended with such vigor to an amateur. And as for assumptions, that's your department too, as evidenced by the above fire and insurance remarks, which I never mentioned.

Reply to
Chet Hayes