can I do this?

I have a small (200lb?) commercial ice machine in our garage, Servend brand. The compressor is bad, according to a refrigeration tech I paid to come out and check it over. He says the compressor is a Copeland, and new replacement unit is $400.

I'm wondering if that's something I can replace myself?

If so, how/where can I find a good used one, or a rebuilt one?

I'm just starting out on this query, so may not even know the questions to ask.

Reply to
RB

If you had the knowledge and the tools, you may still have the issue of the refrigerant. A lot of localities restrict sales to licensed refrigeration guys.

Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY

Steve Manes

Is this a guy you trust? I have seen a lot of people ripped off on the "dead compressor" story.

Biggest problems you face with DYI is that most companies aren't going to sell an unlicensed person the parts and you can't buy the gas to fill it up. And even if you beat those two items refrigeration guys really have to know their stuff to make it balance it out and make it work. Most any hack can install an AC unit and get cool air. Refrigation is a whole different ballgame.

Get a second opinion and they buy another machine. 200 pounders are pretty small. Restaurants go out of business all the time. Check with some used equipment people in your area.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

This is Turtle.

Well RB , It's all in who is doing the job. If it is me , hey not a big deal at all and rather boaring to say to do it. If it is you , well I don't know what equipment you have and the skill level you have in changing a compressor out. If you own or can borrow about $5,000.00 worth of tools, a EPA card / Licences for buying the R-404-A replacement freon, Have the Tech support number handy, Know the Micro to pull on it, get a Burn out drier and not standard, Skill to sweat fittings, and have the trouble shooting skill to figure out what killed the first compressor before put the next one on there to burn it up. If not your ill prepaired to do it. If you are, Well your good to go.

Here is some answer to your questions.

Yes if you have thje tools and skill , Go for it.

They don't sell rebuilt compressor but you have to buy new ! At any Refrigeration warehouse in towns of 50K Poppulation or more.

You just starting out on this Query here. yes I know that is for , if you knew exactly what was involved here and the skill & tools needed. We would not be talking here now. Well RB , I will say this. there is lot's of things people can do theirself but this is not one of them and is right next to asking about wanting to rebuild your car engine or replace the crank shaft and have no mechanical skills to try it. RB , This is not the do it yourself job that you might think it may be.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

New units use easily 75% LESS Electricity. .. Junk your crap and get a new unit

Reply to
m Ransley

Sure if you have a license to handle the refrigerant (buy it and reclaim it), a set of gauges, a vacuum pump, know how to evacuate a system and pressurize it without blowing something up. Some things just have to be left to a pro.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Assuming the compressor is bad, it's a job for a refrigeration guy, or an air conditioning guy. Why?

1) Pumping freon in and out of a unit requires EPA certification if you're in the USA 2) Purchasing the freon to recharge it also requires the EPA cert. 3) The ammount of equipment needed to do the job right, isn't worth purchasing for just one job.

It's a noble idea, DIY is a time honored tradition. But this one isn't going to be an easy one to DIY.

As for $400, is that the compressor only price, or the job completed price? The last time I did a refrigerator compressor replacement it was about $300 (whole job), the one I did for a guy's reach in cooler was about $400 (whole job). Don't know how big your unit is, but compressors can cost $400 for just the compressor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OK. I'm convinced this isn't one of the "do it yourself" things around the house.

And yes, it's $400 for just the compressor. Probably $200 or so more for the complete install.

Thanks for the thoughts. It was a good try.

Reply to
RB

Pensacola, FL. Still licking our wounds from Ivan.

Reply to
RB

Where are you? Wonder if you are any where near me?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm in NYS -- want me to calculate my tripcharge?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon