Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

Page 4 of 5

You have a reading comprehension problem. Steve correctly explained that the laws where we live may (and probably will be) different from the laws where you live. Everyone here has good suggestions.
Is there a high school nearby? Call and find out if they have a program for matching odd jobs with kids to want to earn some money. Pay a kid to rake the leaves.

Hmmm.. I had the same problem. I couldn't sleep in my bedroom at night in the fall due to acorns falling on the roof of my house. I called my neighbor and asked him if he would mind if I had the trees cut down and split the cost with him. He said not to worry he would have them removed and he did. It sounds like the problem is not the trees, it's the way you deal and communicate with people. Try a different approach when dealing with him. If that doesn't work, cut off all of the branches that hang over your property. Throw them in a pile in his back yard. Pour a gallon of gas on them and light it. See if that gets his attention. <g>.
JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com wrote:

As I did mention all attempts I have made have fallen on deafness. In the end I will most likely ignore the problem like has been done for some time. I don't think the guy will remove 6 trees or even allow them to be removed but it is more of a problem then just a few leaves falling on a small area. I am happy to learn that you have a nice guy living next to you.

The point I was trying to get across is maybe it isn't the message, it's your delivery method. It ended up costing my neighbor $2200 to remove 3 large oak trees that were covering my house. He doesn't even live next door to me. It's an empty lot. I approached him, and stated the problem and offered him a solution that I was willing to help him pay part of the cost. Fortunately for me he paid the entire bill. I'm a nice guy too, but if you came to me like you are coming across in this news group there is NO way I would want to work with you either.
JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com wrote:

I am happy to find that you think you speak for every other poster. I got your point but you somehow have not gotten mine. You have dealt with someone that responded to you. It has not been the case with me even if some think that I send him threatening mail when all I did was ask for him to speak with me about the issue. It seems that many on this group are happy to react in the negative rather than give someone the benefit of the doubt. I was assuming you were the latter but maybe I was wrong.

You obviously don't get the point at all. In every jurisdiction I've ever heard of, the neighbor HAS NO RESPONSIBILITY to do anything about healthy tree limbs that hang over the property line. No one said you sent the neighbor threatening mail. But did you go over and try to talk to the neighbor instead of sending mail asking him to do something about that which he is not reponsible for? You didn't understand the law or common practice, yet assumed that somehow it's the neighbors issue. You were wrong.
It would be like someone across the street sending me a letter to pay for body damage on their car, because they skidded on leaves in the street from my tree while backing out of their driveway and hit something. Do you think I'd respond favorably, or even at all, if I got that kind of letter in the mail?
It seems that many on this group are happy to react

And sending letters to neighbors to fix a problem that isn't theirs to begin with is positive? I'd say positive would be figuring out if the trees are attractive, add value to YOUR property, sheild you from a neighbor that you don't get along with, provide shade, and that even if you trim them, you're still going to have lots of leaves, etc. BTW, in my experience, a few wet leaves are more dangerous as far as slipping than a pile 3 inchs thick. So, I fail to see how removing some limbs are going to make a positive impact if that is your main concern.

Actually 3 months earlier another tree on his lot that did NOT hang over my property fell and hit my house. It damaged the roof and siding and I didn't even say a word to him about it. My concern was the three other trees hanging over my house. I WAS AWARE that anything that hangs over the property line is mine. When I approached him I asked if he would mind if I Paid to have the trees trimmed that were hanging over my house OR if he would mind if we split the cost in half to have them removed. I believe that it WAS due to my approach ( in a non threating manner and giving him option) was why he was willing to work with me and have the trees removed at his expense. He didn't have to do anything. I'm sure that if I had approached him angry and firing bullets about taking care of his #@*! trees, I would not have gotten the response that I received.

Any part of the tree that is on your property is yours to do as you please.
contact the local city arborist, they can advise you of your rights and responsibilities in this instance .

thave a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?ngJohn
John wrote:

Legal, schmegal. You may have the right to trim the trees but you're leaving yourself open to guerilla retaliation.
You say you're not at this location for much of the year. How'd you like to come back to find the place burned down, or condemned because of rat infestation, or confiscated because pot was growing in the back yard or even covered with graffiti?
You never know what will happen when you piss off a neighbor.
He's sitting over there, 24 hours a day, planning and scheming and devising.
HeyBub wrote:

He would have to deal with an angry 80 year old woman that can still wave a broom and a rake. I would not recommend anyone be so foolish. She takes better care of the yard then he takes care of his and is most likely in better shape.

Of course. The tree guy is going to send the bill to you, because you hired him. You're perfectly free to send the bill to your neighbor. And he's perfectly free to ignore it, too. And depending on what the law is wherever you are, you may be facing a civil action, or possibly even misdemeanor criminal charges, for trimming a tree that doesn't belong to you.

Move to the desert. You're obviously unsuited for life in any place where you have trees. Or neighbors.
--
Regards,
On Oct 21, 8:45 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

In most areas of the US, you have the right to trim overhanging branches of a tree that is located on your neighbor's property back to the property line. But you do it at your own expense, unless the neighbor chooses to help pay for it. To be sure legally, you should consult a local lawyer, as some municipalities may have differing laws.
As others have pointed out, there are other considerations. One would be what will it look like after it's trimmed back? It could very well make your house worth less, because now it looks like hell. How much difference will it make? If you have to blow leaves anyway, and it only reduces it by 25%, is it worth it? Are there any plusses to these branches, like providing shade in the summer, or blocking your view of you neighbor giving you the finger? Is it worth likely getting into a pissing match with the neighbor over this? And how much are you willing to spend? To have tree guys trim significant branches back on 6 large trees isn;t going to be cheap.
You say you sent him countless letters, but did you first go over and try to talk to him? The two things I can tell you for sure are:
1 - If you didn't try to talk to the neighbor first, that was a big mistake
2 - It's never the responsibility of the neighbor to trim branches that overhang your property unless there is a safety issue, ie, the tree is dying, the branches are rotten, could fall on your fence, house, etc.

I have never been able to find anyone around and have send letters only after trying to contact him first. I simply stated I wanted to discuss his trees that over hang the old ladies driveway in a polite manner. I asked if he had time would he look for her when she is around and mention that she want to speak with him and ask what he could do. I never mentioned cutting his trees or anything about any legal action. All was done in a civil neighborly way. The house was vacant for quite some time and now I see someone is living there. I don't intend to make anyone hostile or start any wars.
There are city by laws that regulate the proper upkeep of land by the owner but I have not found it necessary to contact anyone other than the wisemen of usenet. I told the ol' lady to call the city but she has not done so. Maybe I can convince her to do that soon.
Doug Miller wrote:

Maybe you might like to review the thread before you feel qualified to offer advice. No drive-by comments taken seriously.

It's precisely *because* I reviewed the thread that I offered the advice I did: Move to the desert. You're obviously unsuited for life in any place that has trees. Or neighbors. And I'm glad you're not one of mine.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

I don't think you have even been paying attention and have not reviewed anything. I do not live there and am trying to take care of an old lady. Maybe you are not capable of understanding the facts. I have seen this once or twice on usenet groups. You offer no surprises with your post.

That wasn't in your original post. Check the timestamps -- you hadn't said anything at all about that when I first posted, but you *had* said plenty to convince me that you're the kind of person who shouldn't have any neighbors.

And obviously you are not capable of *stating* all the facts at the beginning.

Yep, I have too: some obnoxious dickhead comes along asking for advice, then tells everyone who gives him advice that they're wrong. Possibly you'll recognize yourself here... but probably you won't.
--
Regards,
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:11:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

The desert WILL not help. A wind storm last night blew about five gallons of leaves into my pool. All from the neighbor's trees :-))
I cleaned the pump basket yesterday and the thing is clogged today!
-- Oren
"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
Oren wrote: .

Send letters to the neighbors.