Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

I am happy to find that you think you speak for every other poster. I got your point but you somehow have not gotten mine. You have dealt with someone that responded to you. It has not been the case with me even if some think that I send him threatening mail when all I did was ask for him to speak with me about the issue. It seems that many on this group are happy to react in the negative rather than give someone the benefit of the doubt. I was assuming you were the latter but maybe I was wrong.

Reply to
John

I have never been able to find anyone around and have send letters only after trying to contact him first. I simply stated I wanted to discuss his trees that over hang the old ladies driveway in a polite manner. I asked if he had time would he look for her when she is around and mention that she want to speak with him and ask what he could do. I never mentioned cutting his trees or anything about any legal action. All was done in a civil neighborly way. The house was vacant for quite some time and now I see someone is living there. I don't intend to make anyone hostile or start any wars.

There are city by laws that regulate the proper upkeep of land by the owner but I have not found it necessary to contact anyone other than the wisemen of usenet. I told the ol' lady to call the city but she has not done so. Maybe I can convince her to do that soon.

Reply to
John

It's precisely *because* I reviewed the thread that I offered the advice I did: Move to the desert. You're obviously unsuited for life in any place that has trees. Or neighbors. And I'm glad you're not one of mine.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thanks. Excellent link.

Reply to
John

Like I stated. It is more of a problem to the mother-in-law who has to deal with it directly. For now I will continue to remove them as she directs until the snow arrives when it will all be over until next year. This was more of a hypothetical query than anything. I am happy that so many found this thread entertaining and compelled to respond.

Reply to
John

I will continue to drive 50 miles just to rake leaves thank you very much. Maybe I will leave her a laptop and this thread to continue on her own. She will most likely be around to rake the leaves from atop my final resting place.

John.

Reply to
John

There are 6 large trees that drop leaves. I can remember when they were very small and the ol' lady never said a word.

Reply to
John

Snow is my responsibility unless is comes from the guy next door tossing it over the fence. My wife and I have always taken good care of her and always will and I am only reacting to her point. If she slips on snow I don't think it would be the same as something that can be prevented. She mentioned that she would love to remove them herself jokingly. Feisty lady that she is.

Reply to
John

I don't think you have even been paying attention and have not reviewed anything. I do not live there and am trying to take care of an old lady. Maybe you are not capable of understanding the facts. I have seen this once or twice on usenet groups. You offer no surprises with your post.

Reply to
John

Actually I am trying to get the ol' lady to stop some of the yard work she does. Many times I have arrived to see her gathering branches and dragging them to the other side of the yard. There will come a time when we will be there 24/7 to see that she behaves herself bless her soul.

Reply to
John

Where is all this land you guys seem reoccupied with? It seems that there are more than a few that would choose to run away and hide rather than face things straight on. Do you even vote at election time or are you at that place in the sand?

Reply to
John

Call your city, town, or village offices and ask what is legal in your area. Duh. Why on earth would anyone on usenet know the laws of your town?

Reply to
tmclone

With the amount of time you have devoted to this idiocy just this afternoon, you could have raked the whole yard. It's just LEAVES for doG's sake. Dude, get some help. Seriously.

Reply to
<h>

And that means what??? You need professional help. If you feel compelled to rake the leaves every hour to "get them all" then you have OCD and need treatment, perhaps medication. Get to a doctor pronto, buddy.

Reply to
tmclone

"John" wrote

Oh friggin great! Some old bat can&#39;t even walk, and you let her behind the wheel.

If you really care anything about her, it&#39;s time to take the keys away. But, since you don&#39;t have any balls, I doubt that will happen.

Reply to
Poppin Fresh

re: If there were a branch to fall from that tree onto a car in the driveway and cause damage maybe they would not be my branches. That is my point.

Oh! Oh! Pick me! Pick me! I know the answer!

They are "your" branches in that *your* insurance company would cover the damage as a not-your-fault incident. At least that&#39;s how it was with me...

I was in my backyard when I started to hear a creek, creek, *crack*. I looked up to see a very large branch from a neighbor&#39;s tree just beginning its journey downward onto my roof and deck.

This branch (as well as many others) has been hanging over my house and yard for years. I was never concerned about the leaves, but have annually trimmed back any branches that could have come in contact with my roof, and also those that get too large to look nice.

Anyway, the house next door is currently a rental, so I called the landlord since the branch was still hung up in his tree and also resting on my roof and deck. I very politely let him know that I was going to call my insurance company unless he had another suggestion. He asked if he could come over and take a look before I put in the claim and I agreed, cuz that&#39;s what good neighbors do.

He came over, agreed that it was too big for either of us to handle, and asked if I had to pay any deductible. I told him I would let him know and when it was all cleaned up and taken care of, he gave me a check to cover the deductible for the inconvenience his tree had caused.

I believe, based on some phone calls I got from my insurance company afterwards, that my company went after his to recover the costs, but that&#39;s between them, not me and him.

Bottom line: Yes they are your branches to deal with, on the tree or on your car. ...in most locations that is...

Not sure if anyone has suggested this before...but perhaps you should contact your local authorities for the rules where these particular leaves are. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The desert WILL not help. A wind storm last night blew about five gallons of leaves into my pool. All from the neighbor&#39;s trees :-))

I cleaned the pump basket yesterday and the thing is clogged today!

-- Oren

"I wouldn&#39;t even be here if my support group hadn&#39;t beaten me up."

Reply to
Oren

That was plan &#39;B&#39; but knowing the real answers are posted on Usenet I decided to get them first so I can tell the authorities just why I have not moved to the desert. It must be really crowded there learning how many find that the place to go when they don&#39;t know what else to do.

LOL

Reply to
John

LOL

You are truley one pathetic assHat. Good luck with that. I bet she can kick your stupid ass. She sure has more brains. Wahahahaha..........

Reply to
John

I means that you are clueless.

You need professional help. If you feel

You are the one with the social problems and must have already self medicated way to much.

Reply to
John