Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

So? The property has a deed which essentially says the same thing. The owner can't transfer rights via an easement that he doesn't have in the first place.

Sell the house and move into an apartment. You have no business owning property since you are clearly not mature enough to play well with others.
h wrote:

Read other posts where it states the mother-in-law lives there. It has been in the family for many decades and is maintained 100% including the past removal of leaves and branches for some time. I think it is about time the owners of the trees take some responsibility but they have refused to respond to such requests. The 80 year old lady should be rewarded for putting up with ignorance. If it were your mother you would feel differently I am sure. Then again maybe not.

The ignorant one here is not the neighbor, it's you John. You came in here not knowing anything about the law regarding this issue. Yet, you're sending letters making demands of your neighbor. Don't you think you should find out what is right and legal BEFORE you start telling neighbors what they must do?
Go check with a lawyer. In most areas of the US, you can trim those branches of the neighbor's tree back to your property line. But the neighbor is under no obligation to pay for it, nor are they responsible for dealing with the leaves. Now, you may find differently in your location. But I'm betting you won't.
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:05:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Once more with feeling, John: find out if you are legally allowed to trim the tree limbs to the property line. Like Trader4 says, you likely are, but really should check first. CAVEAT: you cannot trim so much that the tree dies as a result.
Ignore your neighbor: he probably has no legal responsibility for what happens on your property if the law allows you to trim the limbs. Just trim them yourself and be done with it, if it makes you happy.
But I agree, it probably won't reduce the leaf output a whole lot, so wouldn't your energies be better spent just managing the leaves? They're a feature of the property, and if you leave the limbs (assuming they're not too low), the tree helps the property look even better, which will make it easier to sell when the mother-in-law is ready to move out. Take the long view. There are worse problems than this given that your property no doubt looks a lot better than the neighbor's.
KLS wrote:

I am not and never was trying to make a federal case of this simple search for clues as to how others have dealt with this. All I am saying is that when I am unable to attend to this the old lady is the main one that it bothers. If she were to slip and fall on slippery leaves that have taken over her walk way one might look at this in a different light. She still drives her car and still likes to get around without having to deal with what otherwise would be nothing and I still have to find a way to make everyone happy.
I know it is a lazy Sunday and obviously many have nothing better to do and I was not anticipating this would grow to a full blown major problem that so many would feel compelled to offer so many opinions with never personally having to deal with it themselves.

Honey, suppose it snows, and this little old lady slips and falls? Who you gonna blame? Hello???
I'm not unsympathetic to your situation as my parents are very close to your mother-in-law's age. I also understand the parameters here and work within them.
KLS wrote:

Snow is my responsibility unless is comes from the guy next door tossing it over the fence. My wife and I have always taken good care of her and always will and I am only reacting to her point. If she slips on snow I don't think it would be the same as something that can be prevented. She mentioned that she would love to remove them herself jokingly. Feisty lady that she is.
"John" wrote

Oh friggin great! Some old bat can't even walk, and you let her behind the wheel.
If you really care anything about her, it's time to take the keys away. But, since you don't have any balls, I doubt that will happen.
Poppin Fresh wrote:

LOL
You are truley one pathetic assHat. Good luck with that. I bet she can kick your stupid ass. She sure has more brains. Wahahahaha..........
John wrote:

I first thought you were a troll, since you seem to get some pleasure from ignoring the good advice already posted and getting into name calling contests.
First, only a really ignorant person would seek what is is essence legal advice on usenet. Everyone here is anonymous, and no one has any discernible credentials to give such advice. You apparently do not understand that the law varies from place to place, and that what someone has done in one place legally may, in another place, be contrary to the law. Even the old common law advice that you can do anything to anything within your airspace is no longer reliable, as many jurisdictions now have restrictions, particularly on trimming or removing trees. The best advice you have received and ignored is to contact your local authorities to find out what you can do; contacting a competent lawyer would be even better, as the local authorities are often not well educated and simply tell you what their books say you can or cannot do; their books may, of course, not agree with the law, but they would no know that.
You have been, if I read this thread accurately, somewhat dishonest when you describe this as your property; now you seem to say that it is your mother-in-law's property. Which is it? If it is hers then you are not the owner and have no rights to do anything, which may be why no one responds to your correspondence. Let me say that again, as you appear intent on not getting anything that doesn't agree with your preconceptions. If you are not the owner of the property, you have no rights to do anything to the property. If you have been retained by the owner, that is something else, but you don't give any indication that you are anything but a relative helping her out. I suspect you won't do anything to resolve this alleged problem, but will just continue babbling until usenet goes out of existence, so I am placing you on auto-flush, hoping to never again see your postings.

Where does it say I made any demands fool? You are the one that chooses to remain ignorant.

Wow! I'm completely amazed that you found someone to marry you even with all your OCD ticks!
h wrote:

I don't even think you are capable of keeping up. Good luck.

And that means what??? You need professional help. If you feel compelled to rake the leaves every hour to "get them all" then you have OCD and need treatment, perhaps medication. Get to a doctor pronto, buddy.
snipped-for-privacy@searchmachine.com wrote:

I means that you are clueless.
You need professional help. If you feel

You are the one with the social problems and must have already self medicated way to much.
h wrote:

Reread what he posted. He maintains his property and the neighbor could care less about even cutting their grass. So it would seem that the leaves are just the tip of the iceberg. If someone lives in an urban environment they agree to be like the others in the area including maintaining their surroundings. The neighbor is the one who doesn't know how to play well with others.

This is what he posted:
"My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?
John "
He maintains his property and the neighbor could

Oh, really, is that how it works in your area? Is that a new law? Did you sign such an agreement when you bought your house? If I buy a house and the neighborhood happens to be overwhelmingly Protestant, must I convert? Or the neighbors let their 5 year olds play in the middle of the street. Must I do that too? If I'm balck and move into a white neighborhood, well, I guess that would be a real tough one.
The neighbor is the one who doesn't know

Before deciding who is right and who is wrong, you better go check the law, instead of making an ass of yourself like the OP. This isn't anything new and has been settled for hundreds of years. Some areas could have differing laws, but for most of the US you'll almost certainly find:
1 - The leaves are considered part of nature, can blow anywhere and the neighbor isn't responsible for cleaning them off the OP's yard or for trimming the overhanging branches.
2 - If the OP wants to trim the branches back, he can to the property line, at his own expense. Whether that makes any sense to do is an entirely different question.

You know exactly what I meant and are just presenting an specious argument trying to discredit what I wrote.

Yes, I know exactly what you meant. If I was your neighbor, you'd expect me to come over and clean off the leaves from my trees that wind up on your lawn, because you're clueless both about the law and common practice.