Can I cannect fridge to a water bottle?

An interesting array of answers... I agree with the suggestion to use ice cube trays. We do, and manage to survive. It has got to be cheaper to run a water line to the fridge than to use a pump and a bottle.

Reply to
Toller

mine had 28 years of crud, so yes, I understand the risks, but like you I didn't want to cut a bunch of pipe to put in a tap. I was fortunate that it worked out with out any problems. my dad has used saddle valves on copper and PVC with no problems as well. I guess it's all a matter of the particular situation.

I like your two port valve idea, it sounds the safest. good luck, I hope it works out.

Reply to
nanook

You need a fairly hefty amperage for an RV pump, besides they cost a lot.

Do you have a cabinet above the refrigerator? If so you have the ideal solution, just put a 5 gallon water bottle up there and pipe it down to the refrigerator with polyethylene tubing (food grade). Change it every month? You won't use more ice than 5 gallons per month would you?

Heck, you could just set a 5 gallon water carrier on top of the refrigerator if you don't have a cabinet above it.

As for piping, a simple saddle valve on your existing pipes would work. Then just run the copper tube through the floor at the back of the refrigerator space.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Ice makers require more pressure than that to operatoe. They are not recommended with RO systems as the pressure drop will affect them.

He has old galvanized pipe in a crawl space and does not want to tap into it until he does a fix up later. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sure it is. We can also survive with no power windows in the car but many of us sure like them. Our parents and grandparent made toast on the stove too but now we use toasters. Practicality does not always come into play.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

He has old galvanized pipe in a crawl space and does not want to tap into it until he does a fix up later. .

You can easily run a 50 foot plastic line if you want, how about taking the connection to a better location, with galvanized he probabl;y has some copper or plastic repair areas, that would be ideal to connect to

plastic quick easy and cheap

Reply to
hallerb

If you had to buy a generator to power only your toaster, while you had a nice hot stove nearby, wouldn't you use the stove? I have nothing against ice makers, but is absurd to hook up a pump and a bottle to use it when ice cube trays are so much easier.

Reply to
Toller

Didn't know that they needed a considerable amount of pressure. However, a pressure tank would easily take care of 15-40 psi.

Yep I read that he didn't want to tap into old pipes after I wrote the comment.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

My parent's seldom make toast on a stove, whereas we always make toast on a stove when we go camping. Yep, practicality often is not a factor, the main factor is usually "desire." Put me in the category of not owning a refrigerator with an ice maker. I doubt that I ever will. To me they are only slightly above t*ts on a boar hog for uselessness.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Put me in the lazy ass category. I won't be without one after having two teenagers in the house that never learned how to fill an ice cube tray.

In the next few months I plan to buy a new car. Features such as rain sensing wipers and electrochromatic mirrors carry a lot of weight in my choice.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Here's a low tech possibility:

Buy a new 2 gallon garden sprayer. Clean it out well and disinfect it with a bleach solution. Cut off the control valve and adapt the hose to the water inlet on the fridge. Fill it with bottled water. Pump it up and you're good to go. Every so often, give it another pump or two, it's easy to tell when the pressure is low by the effort to pump it.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

A much cheaper solution is to kick the teenagers out, in fact, kicking them out provides double benefits. Waiting for them to leave is a pita.

The problem with lots of convenience features is that the more you have the more possible failures that may create huge problems until fixed. For example, if my pickup stops running for some unknown reason out in the desert, it is call the wrecker time (actually wait for a passerby to call the wrecker since I don't have a cell phone). Didn't use to be that way when vehicles didn't have computer controls. But I do appreciate the increased mileage, improved power, reduced amount of maintenance, etc. of the

Electrochromatic mirrors? are these self dimming, if so that sounds good, but forget the automatic windshield wipers.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Ok - I read the first level responses and no one had the correct. answer. The correct answer is YES. There are bottled water pumps just for this purpose. Some people want their in door water dispenser to dispense bottled water, not tap.

This google search will give you lots of options

First result gives you this
This is a link to the manufacturers website
Shurflo used to make them but no longer does. You may be able to find one from shurflo online somewhere for a bit cheaper than Flojet.

Nuf said

No

Absolutely amazing! There is no product too silly to be sold.

Reply to
Toller

They both left at a reasonable time. One came back for 6 months and left again. Right now I have a grandson that is on the verge of being kicked out. I do not regret having children, but life is nice now with just the two of us and no repsosibilities to others.

Yes, self dimming. Very comfortable at nigh, especially when some idiot has his high beams on behind you.

The wipers have to be turned on, but they will increase in speed if the rain gets harder or if you get sprayed by a passing truck. When you turn the wipers on (headlights also go on) they work like any intermittent but will park when there is no rain. I passed a truck going the opposite way and he sprayed by so heavy that I could not see. Before I could reach the control, the wiper made a pass.

Needed? Of course not. Anything is better than the old vacuum motor wipers used until the 50's. My next car is going to have a remote starter too. It is 20 feet to run out and start the car myself :)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ok, the wipers sound good too, assuming someone doesn't screw up the sensor. We don't get much rain but when it does, it seems like it constantly goes from barely to medium and everything in between. A pita to keep adjusting the timing.

Actually Chrysler Corp went to electric before

1950. Ford still had ineffective vacuum motors into the 60's. Don't know about GM. Ford was also rather reluctant to change from generators to alternators. But remote start? Don't you still have to get in the car to go somewhere?
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Sure, but it will be warmed up when I get into it. Nice feature on a below

0 morning.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

they are working on a auto drive system, get in pre warmed up vehicle, no doubt speak destination, belt on, relax read paper while your car takes you too your destination.

Reply to
hallerb

Back in the late 50's GM built a section of highway that did just that. Once locked on, the car followed it controlling speed and steering.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Why not install a heater (percolating type) and turn it on for 1-2 hours before starting the car, turn it off and on with a switch in the house. Way cheaper in the long run than running the engine, easier starting, and instant heat. My father and I used to do that with our cars--1500W heater. You might want to run it for 3-4 hours when it is really cold--below 0.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon