Can I Bullnose Porcelain Tile With A Belt Sander?

I'm thinking of covering a concrete stoop with 12" x 12" porcelain tile. The stoop has one ~13" x 5' step up to a 4' x 5' slab. Therefore there are 2 risers.
I want to bullnose the edges of the step and slab, both along the fronts and the sides, but I'm not sure what the best method is.
Should I buy bullnose tiles (~3 " x 12") and use those on the 3 edges of the step and slab or can I use full size tiles and bullnose the edges with a belt sander?
I'm pretty sure that I can build out the upper riser with Durock so that a single 12" tile will cover the step, which would be much easier than using a bullnose tile and a cut 12" x 12". If I did that on the step then I'd use full tiles on the slab also
I've seen videos where a belt sander is used to create the bullnose on tile, but they weren't porcelain.
I'm thinkng that the bullnose tiles might make a nice looking edging, but it will result in a lot more cut tiles in the field.
I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks!
On 6/28/2012 3:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Bite the bullet and do it right.
You may be able to shape a tile, but it'll screw up the surface glaze and leave it porous which will invite moisture.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:07:43 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Silicon carbide belt. Go for it.
--
Vic

Are you sure you want to put the slipperiest surface imaginable on your steps? Will your homeowners even let you do that?

Buy the bullnose tile. The glazing is only on the surface of the tile-- as soon as you sand it off [after a great deal of effort and some expense] it won't look right, and you'll shorten he life of the tile.

Carpet the steps.
Jim

Three seasons of wet carpet doesn't sound very inviting.
One season of alternating snow covered then melted snow then frozen solid then soaking wet carpet sounds even less inviting.
I think I'll go for the bullnose.
On 6/28/2012 7:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Ice or slush on top of tile sounds like a serious hazard, as would painted concrete. If grout joints aren't water-proof (and I don't know if they can be) then the water seeping into them will freeze and pop the tile. Sisal or hemp woven, as for boats?

The tile(s) I've look at, at various stores, are all rated (compliant) as far as traction for outdoor use.
I haven't bought any thin set or grout yet, but I've been assured that it can be mixed with additives for outdoor use, in our climate.
In fact, there was more concern about sealing the existing concrete to avoid moisture from below as opposed to moisture from above.
As you can tell, I'm still doing my research.

He didn't say (wonder why) what type tile, but full body unglazed porcelain tiles can be worked to bullnose and look good. I don't think he's unaware that glaze isn't deep. Bullnosing doesn't even have to be exact to look good. I've done it with wood using a belt sander and got excellent results. One thing I didn't mention is that he can take the tiles to a shop that will bullnose them with a bullnosing saw blade. But I didn't want to make it too easy. He might need the exercise. If he can avoid cutting the 12" x 12" and having a separate bullnose piece, he'll have a cleaner look.
--
Vic

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:07:43 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Why are they called "bullnose"?
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 18:22:59 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

http://horseandman.com/wp-content/uploads/cows-nose.jpg
[same as bull's nose]