can I apply exterior semi gloss directly over flat exterior paint?

About 6 months ago I hired a painting contractor to paint a rental property that I own. The building was painted with white flat latex, sprayed on. It was a "budget" job, which I am now regreting, as all of the dust, pollen, etc. sticks right to the paint. The paint was also put on too thin for my liking.
My question - Can I apply a quality semi-gloss exterior latex directly on top of the flat latex without priming? The flat latex has a surface that looks and feels (to me, a non-painter) just about like a primer. Opinions?
Go right over it , no primer necessary.
Bruce Millar wrote:

Sure, but first you need to get all that "dust, pollen, etc." off or you will just be painting dirt.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
There's a saying that nothing sticks to latex like more latex.
But having said that, you can run into problems if the base coat is a real low end/non acrylic latex.
You'll probably want 2 coats anyway so I'd make the firt one a primer coat tinted to half the color formula of the topcoat and then you can probably get by with one topcoat assuming you use quality paint.
I prefer Pratt and Lambert Suprime for the primer and Accolade for the topcoat. Make sure you start by preparing the walls by washing with a TSP solution and rinse.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Bruce Millar) wrote in message

I have never understood this advice. Just use the exact same color.
jeffc wrote:

Tint the primer so if coverage is not totally opaque there is less contrast with the top coat. Primer can't be tinted as much as cover coats or it reduces the primer adhesion/sealing qualities, according to my favorite paint store salesman.

Well I suppose if you're painting your walls red, it might be a problem. Otherwise, just use the exact same good quality paint you're going to use anyway (unless you need stain blocking or something, of course.)

Paint is fine, dirt is not. Powerwash it first, and remove any peeling paint obviously. Otherwise, flat paint essentially is primer (although it's not stain blocking of course.)