Can I add a second electric stove for the basement kitchen?

I have 100Amp service to my home. I have an electric stove in the main kitchen whose sticker lists two power ratings: 8.3kW and 10.9kW.
First question: why two ratings for one stove? Perhaps one for the oven and one for the cook-top? If so, which is the higher?
Second question: I'm trying to figure out if I can add a second electric stove for the proposed basement kitchen we're considering. If I've 100Amps service to my house, which voltage (120v x 100Amp 12kW... or 240v x 100Amp = 24kW) do I use to calculate max power I have available? Of couse, I'm going to have to consider the electric load of all other equipment too, but the stove alone is a biggie.
Thanks. Theodore

You are given two wattages which correspond to two voltages, which should also be listed on the same plate. The typical residential electrical service is 120/240 and will be the higher wattage rating. Apartment buildings and condos typically use three phase services which supply 120/208 and will be the lower wattage rating. If you are planning to use both ranges at the same time, along with other typical household appliances, lights, etc. , you could have a problem. Also, keep in mind that a range is generally four top burners and an oven, all of which are seldom used simultaneously

Upon closer inspection, you are correct in that the ratings are for two different voltage setups. Would this wattage necessarily represent the stove going full blast? i.e. all four burners on full, and the stove on max?

Yes
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 20:27:46 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The basic load calc rule for domestic ranges is you allow 8KW for the first one and an additional 3KW for the second (11KW total). table 220.19

Probably rated for 208/240 volts. Common use as 208 is often used when the power is obtained from 3 phase power in commercial settings.

Use 100 A. That 8.3 kW at 240 volts is 36 Amps so both stoves going full blast will use 72A. Add in a dryer or a few AC units and you are beyond safe limits. If it is an either/or situation you will never reach the limits. The rating is for all burners and the oven going at the same time, a rarity in most places, but yet has to be considered.
Assuming you don't have natural gas, install a propane setup for one or both kitchens. I'd much rather cook on gas. I ditched the electric range in my house 20+ years ago and switched to propane. Recently bought a new Bertazonni range and love it.

Very rare indeed........................until Thanksgiving day rolls around. A house full of people, A/C running because its an Indian Summer warm day and every burner and stove element is running. Oops. Pop goes the breaker. Bubba :-)

A very real possibility, and exactly what I 'm concerned about. That's why I want to understand the limitations before I go ahead with this scheme.
On Sun 05 Oct 2008 08:23:54p, told us...

I'm certainly not an expert, but I'd say given the worst combination of conditions that you'd be severely limited by installing a second electric range.
Since you're in the planning stage, and overall electric usage grows for most people every year in one way or another, you might consider moving up to a 200 amp panel. You'd have more than enough to play with then.
--
Wayne Boatwright
On Oct 5, 10:23 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The proper answer is to do a calculation and see what service size is required. A good electrician can do this. The calculation includes the square footage of the house and major permanently connected electric appliances (stove, water heater, dryer, air conditioner ...).
All the stove burners and oven are not on continuously. Even if they are all in use they cycle off and on. The calculation uses 8kW for the one stove and, if I am reading it right (its been a while), 11kW for both stoves. (NEC 220.55)
-- bud--

My complaint about electric is that the broiler isn't hot enough to broil a steak properly. To sizzle the fat and sear the surface of the meat while leaving the inside pink or red.
Would propane be hotter? Hot enough?
On Sun 05 Oct 2008 03:25:39p, mm told us...

Even with propane or natural gas, you really need an infrared broiler unit with a high BTU output. Some ranges are so equipped.
--
Wayne Boatwright
On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 16:20:33 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

Maybe a misdescribed it, but a gas stove that uses natural gas, city gas that comes out of the pipe from the city, is hot enough to do what I want.
Would a propane stove be as hot as that?

Yes, it is. Most are equal Btu on each burner. The orifice is changed for the different gas.
This is what we bought http://www.bertazzoni-italia.com/Product/detail.aspx?CatID=PS&IDG
The broiler is infra-red. We've had it since May, but I've not done a steak under the broiler yet. One of the burners is 16,000 Btu and it can heat up a cast iron pan very hot and will do a very good job searing a steak.
It was pricey compared to the average gas range, but it is incredible the way it cooks. The oven is convection and roasts come out fantastic, nice bark on the outside, yet very juicy on the inside.
We had a decent Roper range for years, but it cannot touch this one for power and ability.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Are you going to run all the burners and the oven/broiler on both stoves at the same time?
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8