Can granite be cut after it is installed?

My contractor installed our base kitchen cabinets wrong and the granite installers followed suit and installed the granite slab on top. I need to know if I take out 1 cabinet on the end, can the granite be cut 4" shorter? If it could be done, then I could install the new base cabinet and my refrig. will fit and I wouldn't have to strip out a wall and get a different refrig. that I really don't want. Please help!!!!!
--
zeller883

You are really asking in the wrong place. The basic answer is, yes, it can be cut in place. The mess will be substantial. If they cut the granite with a wet saw there will be a lot of slurry. If they cut it dry, . . . All round saw blades can only get about so close to the wall. The edge(s) cannot receive the same treatment as the shop finished ends. It will make some difference as to how they fastened the pieces to the cabinets, they may have to completely destroy the existing base cabinet.
Ask the granite contractor!
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

The answer is probably "only if you want to live with a hack job". The correct thing to do is contact the first contractor who screwed up, get him to fix his mistake and to pay for fixing the follow up mistake that he caused.
Or you can "hack" it, and live with the results bothering you for a lot of years.