Can gel dishwashing detergent plug up a dishwasher?

I've always used powder dishwashing detergent in past
But for some reason I bought some gel detergent to try out
Tow days after using it my dishwasher (albeit old) just up and quit. It does act as if the drain system is plugged up.
Could it have been the gel detergent? Possible?
On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 19:07:19 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Don't use powder.

Yes if it caked the powder. Run the unit several cycles <hot water>without any detegent and try to flush the drain pipes.
On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 19:07:19 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Of course it is possible; after repairing go back to the powder. It is also possible that it is a coincidence that the DW died at the same time. My Jennaire DW is going on 17 years and I have had problems using powders gumming-up the trap door, and now use a Dawn detergent pellet that works and cleans well.

Anything is possible. We've been using gel for over ten years now with no problem. It may also be possible that it loosened up some powder that has been building up in the system someplace. It will be a PITA to get the hoses off to clean it out. If you go that route, start with the hose going into the drain valve. I've had a cherry pit plug that spot as it was the narrowest passage of the drain.. I'd try running a cycle or two to see if it clears, perhaps adding some lime-away or CLR in a cycle.
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I think it is a matter more of water hardness and amt. of detergent. Ours had problems on powdered deterg. Cure, rec. by repairman, was to run it empty with a quart of white vinegar. It worked. Twice. Because I had forgotten all about the earlier episode after a number of small leaks from just about everything else (freezer, water heater, washer)