Can dust in thermostat screw up heating

Boiler does start as per times set (Twice: once in morning and once in evening, two hours each time). Water tank gives hot water. But all radiators in the house are cold.
This began after holes were drilled right above Thermostat that dropped lots of fine dust on Thermostat and surely quite some got in.
Previously when turned Thermostat was giving 'kt' sound when room temperature was crossed. No such sound any more.
Regards, BarJor
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 02:07:37 -0800 (PST) someone who may be

Possibly. It may be that the dust has formed an insulating layer on the contacts of some types of thermostat or obstructing other bits of the mechanism and is preventing the contacts closing.
If you know what you are doing, you may be able to turn off the electricity and clean the mechanism. This should cure it.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
On 22 Jan,

What model thermostat? In addition to what others have said, you may have drilled through the cable and severed the neutral to the thermostat.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
On 22 Jan, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

But if a relay controlled mains powered one the noise would be absent. That's why I asked what type.

As long as the OP understands the various ways thermostats may be wired. Wiring the neutral to the heating satisfied contact (which is easy to do) can cause a bang!
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Boilers and hydronic heat systems can be set up in a variety of ways. From your description, it sounds like your boiler and domestic hot water work independently from the thermostat. The thermostat, in that case would just be controlling circulation to the radiators. While dust can be a factor, my guess is that the drilling severed conductors in the thermostat wiring
wrote this:-

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 04:04:30 -0800 (PST) someone who may be

Don't do that. A number of things might happen if you do this, most of which are not good.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Waste of perfectly good booze.

Based on some of the things you've said in this discussion, I would strongly suggest two things:
1) Avoid fixing these things yourself, forever. The fact that you even mentioned pouring a liquid into the thermostat disqualifies you from touching anything more complicated than a toaster, and I'm not even sure you're safe with that.
2) Ask everyone your know - co-workers, neighbors, friends - if they can recommend a heating contractor they've been happy with on a long-term basis. You could pick one out of the phone book and get very lucky, but probably not.