Can dials on an old GE range be turned either way?

We have a houseguest this Christmas, unfortunately.
This person insists on turning the dials on our old (late 70s) GE electric range the wrong way to set the temperature. In other words, instead of going from off to low to medium to medium high to high, just turn the knob from off straight to high, and from high back to off.
The knobs DO turn freely 360 degrees and offer no resistance to being turned this way.
But something just makes me think this is wrong and will damage either the knob or part of the electronics.
Is twisting the knob the wrong way - going directly between off and high without twisting past the lower temperatures - in any way damaging to anything other than my blood pressure?
if it turns freely, no.
randy

This shouldn't be a problem at all.

You have serious control issues, and I'm not talking about the controls on the stove. I have them too and they are damn hard to supress, but for everyone's sake we must try to get over micromanaging peple.
It is perfectly OK to operate the stove this way.
It won't do a thing, don't worry about it.
If the manufacturer of the range didn't intend for the knobs to turn that way, they would have made them so that they couldn't be turned that way.

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:

You're lucky. My houseguest insisted on reversing the toilet tissue.
I removed the spindle.
trader-of-some-jacks wrote:

just
either
high
Hi,
Won't hurt anything in the surface switch! :)

Can't help you with that ;) jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /

How do you know that YOUR way is the right way?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Why on earth would you even let a visitor cook - proper host/hostess's should be doing all the cooking/catering/waiting/washing/etc kitchen duties. Be a good Host & Make some 'Off limits to guests' signs .