Can caulk be microwaved?

Page 1 of 2
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in the future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?
Steve
Steve B wrote:

You have a wood-burning stove AND a microwave?
Isn't that like ...
Never mind.

I have millions of microwaves. At least I did.

Howzabout living offspring?
nb
harry wrote:

Yeah, but we know you're warped.
I was thinking about normal folk.

40degree garage! Lucky bastard.<g>
I'd worry that the microwave would cook parts of it.
My choice would be to plunge it into a bucket of hot water. Water conducts heat better than air.
Jim
On 1/3/2011 2:11 PM, Steve B wrote:

Probably not. Microwave works best on vibration of bonds in water.

Squeeze out a little bit on a paper towel, put in the MW and try it. I don't think much will happen. But then, I could be wrong. So i think I'll try it myself. If I can find the sealant in the mess somewhere.
Joe
On 1/3/2011 3:17 PM, Joe wrote:

A little is never good to microwave. That energy has to somewhere and this *may* contribute to shortening the MW's life.
I didn't see any reason not to MW it, but Googled this:
http://www.ehow.com/list_6331407_kitchen-caulking-tips.html
Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. That cinches it. But I would have done it for too long, and on my 1300 watt mw, may have had a mess on my hands.
Steve
On 1/3/2011 4:23 PM, Steve B wrote:

You are more than welcome!
Jeff (who also has a wood burning stove)

Steve B wrote:

No, same as an egg, it would expand too fast and either explode or squirt out everywhere.
--
LSMFT

Guess you missed the memo:
I didn't see any reason not to MW it, but Googled this:
http://www.ehow.com/list_6331407_kitchen-caulking-tips.html
Jeff

Had that many years ago with baby food in a jar. Thought I could speed things up, I stuck an opened jar of baby food in the micro and turned it on for a few seconds. I heard a whoosh, and looked in. The entire jar's contents had evacuated and was lining the inside of the microwave oven including up into the fan. Cleaning up was a pain and seemed to take forever. I would really hate to clean up caulk that had burst out the tube and spread all over the insides of the oven. It may never come clean nor be suitable for food again.

== No, don't be so dumb. MW is for cooking NOT warming caulk. Put the caulk over a heat register or use a heat gun and don't get it too hot. ==

=No, don't be so dumb. MW is for cooking NOT warming caulk. Put the caulk over a heat register or use a heat gun and don't get it too hot. = Damn, another that did not get the memo ............................. c'mon, I'm getting tired of posting this ........................
I didn't see any reason not to MW it, but Googled this:
http://www.ehow.com/list_6331407_kitchen-caulking-tips.html
Jeff
On 1/3/2011 2:11 PM, Steve B wrote:

Might turn into an IED....interesting explosive device :o) I started a bread wrapper on fire once because I forgot to take off the metal twist-tie. Let us know :o)
In typed:

Try it & let us know how it goes. If it's got any metal parts, forget it though. All the heat will go to the metal and ruin it or distort it and nothing else will warm up. It's neat having a spare uWave around; I haven't ruined it yet and it still works fine. Want a pretty show? Put a CD in it, data side up, darken the room & put the uwave on hi.
HTH,
Twayne`

Fluorescent lights in a uwave put on a good light show!!!

Heck, I set a bag of microwave popcorn on fire once. Man that oil can flame .......... and SMOKE ......... it was smoke from chest level to the ceiling in my whole condo. Smoke alarms going off, dog raising hell barking.
You can have a lot of fun with a microwave. And your living quarters smells like popcorn for a very long time.
Steve