Can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner?

Page 1 of 2
We've been through 4 or 5 vacuum cleaners over the last 6 years. Hoovers, Kenmoores, some other brands as well, with no luck. They last 6 months to a year, and then just crap out. We take them in for repairs, and they come home still broken. I'm at the end of my rope.
Does anyone have experience with an upright vacuum cleaner that will actually last 5 years or more?
thanks, fnord

Kirby.
Charlie Morgan wrote:

With Kirby, you will be paying for it. They are quite heavy, but they have a good reputation. I use a Vax x3 which you can get from Best Buy. I like the fact it is bagless. And, it is pretty powerful. Only 1 thing, pay attention to how tight the hinges are. I've seen a couple of the vacuums where the hinge was a tad too tight, preventing the automatic adjustment for the head working properly. Had to return one because of this problem, and saw another on the floor with the same issue. Fortunately, the salesperson let me put the replacement together and make sure this wouldn't be a problem.

I've got a Kirby that is probably older than you are and it still works fine. It probably weighs 50 lbs, but that's the price of rugged. We seldom use it, as my wife prefers the tank type. I'm looking for a Tri-star to fill that slot as her 20+ yr old Electrolux is getting a little long in the tooth, it still cleans OK, but is clumsy and a bit inefficient compared to the Tri-star.
We are using my grandmothers mid 1970's hoover upright. All parts are still available at a reasonable price. The vacuum never broke down until 2003. We paid $40.00 to repair and have used it daily since. Don't buy an expensive new fangled vacuum buy a good vintage one.
AZCRAIG
www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

fnord wrote in message

I swear by the Oreck XL2. Lightweight, cleans really well, and no problems. At least that's been my experience.
Cheri
Cheri wrote: [..]

How much did you pay for it? How long have you had it?
fnord wrote: ...

Kirby...first one went from 1949 (that's when folks got REA power :) ) to somewhere roughly 1995. It's replacement is now otoo 10 yrs and counting...

Wow!
That doesn't tell us much.

I find vacuum cleaners of all designs in the trash all the time and the only problem they have ever had is being clogged with stuff. Not even disgusting stuff, just the stuff that gets vacuumed up. After being unclogged, they work fine. This includes several uprights.
This year I'd picked up some tweezers that are heavy duty and about a foot long. I didn't know what I would use them for but they were cheap. Turned out to be great for pulling stuff out of vacuum cleaners. But could have done it without them also, like before.

Just about everything these days is junk.

What this is called is "VCR Syndrome" VCR's were the first disposable electronic item, soon followed by Televisions small appliances and so on. Now it's spread to larger items such as vacuums, fans, lights and that sort of stuff. They say buy 2010 ovens, refrigerators,washers and dryers will all be sealed so no repairs can even be done. That's progress!

Try consumer reports. They rate this kind of stuff. I have a canister type hoover vacuum for more than 10 years and it still works. In my experience, vacuum cleaners don't break easily and if they do, it is not hard to fix it yourself.
peter wrote:

IMO Consumer Reports rates all the stuff that doesn't matter much (if at all) and very little of what does...
For upright, I'll reiterate Kirby. As someone else noted, they're not light and dainty but they last and are very effective, especially for w/w carpet.
peter wrote:

Which stores sell canister type Hoover?
I've heard good things abt Simplicity and Riccar vacuums
Anyone have one of those?
They are sister brands I think
Riccar. But you do have to take care of them.
--
Steve Barker

"fnord" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

How so?
Shop around and get several estimates on installation of a central vacuum system for your house and garage. Usually best to buy from same company that installs. They are definitely cleaner, more powerful and practically trouble free. Easy clean up and no blow-back in the house.

I had a Hoover recommended by Consumer Reports. It died. Dug into it and discovered the motor brushes were pretty chewed up. I cleaned them up and reinstalled. Within a few minutes, they were toast again. Seems the spindle has got a gouge or something on it. That was after light use over about 2 years. I then went with a Eureka Boss and it's worked pretty well. But I've actually gone one step further and just removed all the carpeting from the house. It's nasty stuff anyway and wood floors/saltillo look better IMO. I've got a few area rugs that still require the vacuum but by and large, my $4.99 broom keeps my floors clean (except for the odd washing). It only cost me about $3k to get there! Cheers, cc