Can anyone help me out with a part # on a Rheem Compressor (RPKA-025JAZ)?

Model # is RPKA-025JAZ

Last summer my AC stopped working and the guy came out and found some piston that was clogged. He used a needle and pulled out something that looked like a tiny grain of sand. This time a different company was out for an electrical job (the first was hvac only) and I had them take a look as I was concerned we might have a whole-house grounding problem. They took out the multi-meter and said the compressor is shot?

Anyone got a theory on what actually ocurred here? Should I call the other guy out or just bite the bullet and buy the compressor. Either way I'm going to have to have someone else out to do the install & flush the system I suppose.

--Rob

Reply to
Rob Caskey

oh, and of course it's only a few months outside it's 5 year warranty

Reply to
Rob Caskey

I would be very Leary of needing to replace a compressor after only five years. Many people in the HVAC trade are crooks and will tell you whatever they think you will accept. Thirty years ago a "Tech" told me that I needed a new compressor for one of my A/C systems. It was only the wires from the thermostat not making a good connection due to corrosion, and the unit is still working fine. Get another opinion from someone who is recommended by a satisfied customer. You won't be sorry.

Reply to
Ken

So because someone gave you bad advice 30 f****ng years ago, you are going to stomp on the whole HVAC industry in one fell swoop? My guess is the story goes like this: Your A/C quit in some trashed shit infested slum property of yours. Your past history is that your are one tight ass sun of a bitch and you were being paid back by the drunken retard at the bar that you had look at the A/C for a six pack and a Spam sandwich. You sir are the scum of the earth. Go crawl back under the rock you came from. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba,

You need to take a deep breath and re-read my post again. I said "Many," not "ALL" are crooks. I am sorry you found this offensive, but if YOU are not a crook you should be offended by those who ARE, not by the customers who have been victimized by the crooks. And if you think that his diagnosis was just "Bad advice" I shall expand on the event for you:

This was a NEW home a little over one year old. The compressor unit was not starting when the A/C was called for, and since I knew the units were under warranty I called the company who had installed them to service them. A technician came out and without even taking a single electrical measurement diagnosed the compressor as bad. Since my field is electronics, and had been for over thirty years, I could not believe my eyes since he did not even know if power was being applied to the unit. In less than five minutes he told me that I needed a new compressor. Thinking that it would be covered by the warranty, I said "Go ahead, it is covered by the warranty." To which he informed me that only the PARTS were covered, and that LABOR would be $600!!!!! Apparently he would reap a commission on the recommended job!

It was then that I told him I would call him AFTER I thought it over. After he left I measured the coil of the contactor and found no 24 volt A/C. Going back from there I saw where the control wires coming from the thermostat in the house were twisted together with wires going to the contactor, and that they were corroded due to the copper having oxidized. I soldered them and taped them. The rest is history, thirty years of history.

Now how you can accuse someone you know nothing about of living in, owning slum property, or hanging out in bars is beyond me. Perhaps you attended the same diagnostic school as the technician I cited above? Since I do not know much about you personally, I shall refrain from making such a judgment of you. I do not blame you for defending your trade, particularly if YOU are an honest member of that trade. You should be equally upset that others are giving your trade a bad name.

One more story: It just so happens that although my heating and A/C systems are still working fine, I decided I was living on borrowed time and would replace them this spring. I of course called several companies to submit proposals after having done two "Manual J's" to arrive at proper size etc. I took my own advice and talked to neighbors who had work done and were satisfied with both quality and price. Two of the proposals submitted were more than twice as large as two others for THE SAME HARDWARE AND PROCEDURES. I rest my case!!!!

P.S. I am NOT the scum of the earth, but I AM a tight SOB!!! I also do not like people who lie and extort money from those who are not knowledgeable enough to realize what is happening to them. I shall now crawl under my rock.:)

Reply to
Ken