Can anyone explain lawn tractor tire sizes

For example: 20x10-8. What exactly do these numbers mean and do I have to get the exact size that comes with my tractor or can I get a tire that is not as wide? Thanks

Reply to
poison_1024

Try this

Rose

the same size. see also similar previously answered question from january 2007 at:

tire info:

buffalobill

If it's not that wide it may not seal around the rim. It's 20 wide 10 deep and rim size is 8.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Got a flat? Have a tube put in. Cheaper than a new tire.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No I wanted to use these snow tires on my tractor when I have the plow on. The normal rear tires are 20x10-8 but the snow tires I want only come in 18x6.5-8. If the size is not too drastically different I could get a narrower wheel. I was not going to dismount the snow tires every season so I was planning on buying a used set of wheels anyway.

Reply to
poison_1024

Peerless makes chains for 20x10x8.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

______________________ Basically, that's how ALL tires - for automobiles, trucks, and tractors - had their size indicated, long before the present globally used metric system (P-400/50R8 might closely express that tractor tire size in metric). A passenger tire might be P-215/65R-16. Light Truck: LT-235/70-R17.

It seems that tractors have hung on to the old designation system.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

20 inch outside diameter, 10 inches wide, on an 8 inch rim.
Reply to
clare

like 20X8 - 8 A taller tire could be 22X8 - 8

Reply to
clare

Unless the tire is so rotten the tube would just ooze out through the sidewall.

Reply to
clare

I don't think you mean DIAMETER. It's width.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Never mind. I guess it's OD, screwy way to do it.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I was talking about the pre-metric sizing. A 20X10 /8 lawn and garden tire was 20 inches TALL, and 10 inches WIDE and fit a 8 ing diameter rim. The sidewalls were roughly 6 inches high

In automotive P-Metric terms they would be something like a P250/60-8

Reply to
clare

In racing that kind of sizing made it very easy to figure out final gearing, and to set stagger for circle tracks. In offroad vehicles it makes it very easy to calculate, again, gearing, but also ground clearances. You KNOW, just from the first number of the tire size what the running diameter of the tire is - you have 25" tires on your race car and it is running 6000 RPM down the straight in top gear. You want it to run

7000 RPM - what size tire do you need? You want a tire 6/7ths the size of your current tire - or 25X6/7+ 21.45 inches.
Reply to
clare