Can anyone explain lawn tractor tire sizes

For example: 20x10-8. What exactly do these numbers mean and do I have to get the exact size that comes with my tractor or can I get a tire that is not as wide? Thanks
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 21, 8:35 pm, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Try this http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1719869
Add pictures here
✖
Rose wrote:

If it's not that wide it may not seal around the rim. It's 20 wide 10 deep and rim size is 8.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw
On Dec 21, 10:35 pm, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

the same size. see also similar previously answered question from january 2007 at: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.lawn.garden/browse_thread/thread/8e48fdcbdd685d40/88c6fbc14097d630?hl=en#88c6fbc14097d630 further tire info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:23:10 -0800 (PST), buffalobill

A tire that is the same hight, but not as wide would be something like 20X8 - 8 A taller tire could be 22X8 - 8
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 21, 10:35 pm, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Got a flat? Have a tube put in. Cheaper than a new tire.
Add pictures here
✖

No I wanted to use these snow tires on my tractor when I have the plow on. The normal rear tires are 20x10-8 but the snow tires I want only come in 18x6.5-8. If the size is not too drastically different I could get a narrower wheel. I was not going to dismount the snow tires every season so I was planning on buying a used set of wheels anyway.
Add pictures here
✖
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Peerless makes chains for 20x10x8.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:53:04 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Unless the tire is so rotten the tube would just ooze out through the sidewall.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 21, 10:35 pm, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

______________________ Basically, that's how ALL tires - for automobiles, trucks, and tractors - had their size indicated, long before the present globally used metric system (P-400/50R8 might closely express that tractor tire size in metric). A passenger tire might be P-215/65R-16. Light Truck: LT-235/70-R17.
It seems that tractors have hung on to the old designation system.
-CC
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:35:08 -0800 (PST), poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

20 inch outside diameter, 10 inches wide, on an 8 inch rim.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I don't think you mean DIAMETER. It's width.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Never mind. I guess it's OD, screwy way to do it.
--
Van Chocstraw

In racing that kind of sizing made it very easy to figure out final gearing, and to set stagger for circle tracks. In offroad vehicles it makes it very easy to calculate, again, gearing, but also ground clearances. You KNOW, just from the first number of the tire size what the running diameter of the tire is - you have 25" tires on your race car and it is running 6000 RPM down the straight in top gear. You want it to run 7000 RPM - what size tire do you need? You want a tire 6/7ths the size of your current tire - or 25X6/7+ 21.45 inches.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:37:28 -0500, Van Chocstraw

I was talking about the pre-metric sizing. A 20X10 /8 lawn and garden tire was 20 inches TALL, and 10 inches WIDE and fit a 8 ing diameter rim. The sidewalls were roughly 6 inches high
In automotive P-Metric terms they would be something like a P250/60-8
Add pictures here
✖