Can anybody identify Mold on Insulation?

I recently removed the walls in my bathroom to begin a remodel. (Actually a dude did it. But I DO take credit for installing the shower light you'll see in the picture.) My brother in law came in and told me I have mold on the fiberglass insulation. The dude said that it was just water damage. Does anybody care to weigh in? And will I have to replace this stuff?

-ben

Reply to
Beatachon

If the wood is sound, no.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

If it wasn't in perfect shape, I'd replace that pink bathtub. It's not too big a deal to pull the moldy insulation outta there. Then a strong bleach solution wouldn't suck, either. Might want to wear a mask, just to pretend to be safe. Tom

Reply to
tom

Insulation is cheap. Mold damage remediation is not cheap. It can be very expensive, especially when you go to sell the house, as you may have to disclose any mold damage to the structure.

If it's mold, you need it gone quickly. Is the $20 in new insulation really worth the risk?

Reply to
nhurst

The issue you need to know is why was there mold and are you fixing it. The mold there wont hurt anything it is sealed in. But you must stop the moisture, perhaps a Moisture Barrier of plastic sheet. Replace it if its poorly done, then you can get a slightly higher R type.

Reply to
m Ransley

it's mold. is the roof also leaking into the upper wall? see mold and remodeling info at:

buffalobill