Can any of you tell, from the accent of this English, WHERE it comes from?

Page 3 of 4
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 06:58:58 +0000, Ned Turnbull wrote:
Thanks for posting this and - good job by the way.
I've posted a link to this in NANAE. (news.admin.net-abuse.email). The Indian scammers have long been a topic of amusement amongst the members.
Thane
Ned Turnbull wrote:

http://www.techcentral.co.za/we-scam-the-indian-call-centre-scammers/50579/
It was a slow day at TechCenter so the guy played dumb to the point of downloading Support.me to a dummy computer to see what the scammers would do.

Or when you get a call......
"Just a minute please."
Hit a few buttons to make some tones. "This is the call." Then disguise your voice.
"This is Chief Inspector Columbo from Interpol. I am calling from our office in South Africa, and this call is presently being traced. You will be charged under international law with Attemped Fraud and will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. You are looking at a minimum of ten years in prison. We will see you soon."
See how quickly he hangs up.

Mack A Damia wrote:

That's just silly. Everyone knows that since Obama became president he's cut back on "boots on the ground". No one is going to come visit and arrest him. A drone, however, is on it's way now, and its controller is locating him using his internet access.
:-)
Geoff.

Well that gives most of the answers about how they operate and what they're after.
--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:23:19 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Thanks for sharing that story, which I read, with interest, as I never went further than to download the requested package.
On the entire net, unfortunately, very few people actually followed the Indian Support Scam to fruition, as most stop at the credit card details, as this guy did in that article.
The *only* published scam that I know of that went further, was the sting by the US government article, which shows the next steps.
0. Indian caller calls victim (generally unsolicited) 1. Indian caller informs them their PC has been sending reports. 2. If persuasion is needed, Indian caller shows them event viewer. 3. Victim downloads Support.me or similar remote-sharing software 4. Victim provides the machine-specific ID to the Indian caller. 5. Indian caller accomplice logs in & brings up PayPal. 6. Victim enters in credit card information for $300 fee. .... If victim plays dumb, the callers delete important files! 7. Victim has $300 withdrawn plus much more in wire transfers.
As far as I can tell from the published videos and audio, none of which go the full mile, the Indian scammers do *not* install keyloggers or other malware (but, certainly, they could).
They just try to pull as much money out of you as they can.
On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:33:06 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

Actually, almost all the published videos *stop* at the paypal form point, as did this malwarebytes researcher did also: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-04/11/malwarebytes
I can't find a *single* video that actually allows valid information to be entered into the paypal form, so, we don't really know (other than from the US Government Sting Operation previously noted) what they do *after* that.
Of course, none of us would be willing to get to that level of understanding ...
On 2014-08-27, the Omrud wrote:

I haven't tried this yet (I get very few unwanted calls, for some reason), but I have heard that if you record the "out of service" error tone at the beginning of your outgoing message, auto-diallers will recognize it & often delete your number from their list.
--
I have a natural revulsion to any operating system that shows so
little planning as to have to named all of its commands after
On 08/28/2014 7:21 AM, Adam Funk wrote:

That has been talked about and appears to be somewhat effective.
http://lifehacker.com/343595/trick-automated-phone-bots-into-never-calling-you-again
They may be on to that trick by now, after all this has been available since around 2005.
Wikipedia has a number of tones recorded that may be fun to play with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_information_tones
If it is successful please report back!
John :-#)#
On 08/28/2014 09:21 AM, Adam Funk wrote:
[snip]

I have a device on my home phone that answers and plays a message "please press 1 ....". So far, the auto-dialers don't press 1, and my phone doesn't ring (just answering machine).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

They need to clone the "private attorney general" language from the A.D.A. law into the do not call law. Then there will be drive by lawsuits where they belong.
On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 08:09:04 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

I complained following instructions here ... http://netsecurity.about.com/od/howtorespondtoincidents/f/How-Do-I-Report-Internet-Scams-Fraud.htm
Specifically, I went here: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov
Hans Aberg wrote:

It is a zero frills landline service for the disabled or senior citizens to have access to medical help. They remove the federal taxes, in exchange for giving you basic service at a low price.
<http://www.fcc.gov/guides/lifeline-and-link-affordable-telephone-service-income-eligible-consumers
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On 2014/08/29 19:40, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I saw that one, but also in Sweden, Caller ID is typically not included in the basic landline: you have to pay a few bucks a month to get that. Is that not possible on this type of landlines (for which there is no equivalent in Sweden)?
Hans Aberg wrote:

No. If you want frills, you have to pay full price for basic service first.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On 2014/08/31 04:57, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

OK.
On 2014-08-28, John Robertson wrote:

Well, I guess they have 3 or 4 choices:
1. delete numbers that result in an out-of-service tone; 2. keep all numbers in the list & continue to waste money (maybe not much) dialling numbers that are out of service; 3a. let ASR try to analyse the voice messages after the tone to decide whether to keep or delete the numbers; 3b. pay someone to listen to the messages to do that.

Interesting, thanks.
--
Master Foo said: "A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like
a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers
amdx wrote:

Interestingm but it listed Madison and Milwaukee WI and Rockford IL. I've been through all three, which is about as close as I've gotten.

The results said I was from Philadelphia or the NYC area though I haven't lived in the Philly area for over 45 years.

Pegged me for Philly to and I moved away in 1981. I guess you never lose some of the local terms though.