Can any of you tell, from the accent of this English, WHERE it comes from?

Page 2 of 4
William Sommerwerck wrote:

I usually asked them 'Which operating system'? They name one and I tell them, I don use that OS and hang up. It's also fun to ask which IP address the infected machine is on. :)
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
rbowman wrote:

An hour and eight minutes of a guy messing with a fake support site, until his throw away cell phone fails:
<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGGpgieEewI&list=UUMeZ9Zwz5tWw9_kaZzzjZ5w

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 03:54:33 +0000 (UTC), Ned Turnbull

I think you have to string them along for a while. If you just hang up they seem to call back, unless there are thousands of freelance scammers with the same script.
--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
On 8/30/2014 1:34 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:

[snip]

How about the old low tech method for harassing phone calls?
Talk low so you know the person has the phone tightly clenched to his ear... pull out a loud police whistle and.... That's all folks!
<g>
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:26:01 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

That's interesting. Do you know if the accent is particular to any specific region?
On 8/27/2014 8:17 AM, Ned Turnbull wrote:

Here's a neat quiz to give a location by words you use. Only good in the US though. I bet the government is developing such a program for homeland security.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=2&
I took it and it said I was probably from Grand Rapids, Detroit or Toledo. Darn close to Kalamazoo Mi., where I was born and lived for about 40 years. Apparently I didn't loose my native speech even though I have lived in Florida for 20 years.
Mikek
Ned Turnbull wrote:

I play that game a lot and I'm dealing with legitimate support people at some large software companies. Sometimes I cop out, tell them I'm hard of hearing, and can we please move the conversation to email.
On 8/27/2014 10:15 AM, rbowman wrote:

Most fun I ever had was telling a guy that I could not understand him. When he demurred, I asked if there was a white person there I could speak to. He went berserk and I hung up.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:26:23 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Yesterday, I had called the High Technology Crimes Unit for Santa Clara county, at (408) 792-2804 and I had emailed the unedited phone recording to them at snipped-for-privacy@da.sccgov.org
They called back this morning from a San Jose task force called REACT, at 408-282-2425, who took down all my information, and who applauded me for reporting it as thoroughly as I could.
Unfortunately, they said that most people don't report it, so, they have nothing to go on, but, they did ask me to try to get the callers name and phone number next time, because they said that I'd be surprised how many people actually send them money, a and, they said they almost never get the money back unless it's a reverse on the credit card.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 13:17:01 +0000 (UTC), Ned Turnbull

I haven't heard a big enough sample.
Speakers of different Indian languages might have different accents whenn speaking English, but I haven't heard enough to say for sure.
--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Hans Aberg wrote:

Caller ID isn't available to people who use the Lifeline phone service. You can't have anything other than local phone service for that type of account.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On 2014/08/27 19:20, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

That's bad, because malicious phone calls typically have withheld Caller ID and do not leave a message on the answering machine.

What is this and why can't one have Caller ID presentation on that?
Tony Hwang wrote:

Tell them they were cleaned last week, by their company. Then ask just how bad is their workmanship.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Ned Turnbull pretended :

You did a fair job of not laughing, though I could tell that you were laughing inside. I was expecting "Could you put the nice fella I was talking to before back on?"

Here's one I dealt with a couple of years ago:
http://www.poppyrecords.co.uk/other/sounds/TAM120322l.mp3
--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 15:45:06 -0400, Frank wrote:

Actually, the Feds did sting this very same scam, and are prosecuting the Indians as we speak, at least according to this article: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/12/how-windows-tech-support-scammers-walked-right-into-a-trap-set-by-the-feds/2/
From a cultural standpoint, what's odd is that the Indian callers don't just hang up when they've been p0wned; they get malicious.
For example, in this case, they purposefully deleted files on the computer of a security researcher from malwarebytes and called him a childish derogatory term having to do with the anatomy: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-04/11/malwarebytes
Seems to me an American would simply cut his losses and hang up. Why did they bother to call the malwarebytes researcher names, and, in my case, they said they did and would have sex with every female member of my family.
Is such childishness a cultural thing with Indians? We can safely assume they were after money, which, if they didn't get in both these documented cases, they began to call us (the consumer) names.
Would that happen in the US? Culturally, I don't think so (although anything is possible).
I wonder, culturally, if Indians are backward compared to us, in that these are 4th-grade antics of a spoiled brat who doesn't get his way.
In my case, you can literally hear the caller groan in high-pitched frustration because he couldn't rile me with his description of f*cking my mother, sisters, and wife (both past, present, and future).
You can tell me what you think, culturally, about the conversation. It seemed to me that these Indians are culturally regressed to a childish level. I can't think of a single time, in 40 years of working, anyone has ever acted so childishly in the USA with me on the phone as that Indian did to me (and to the security researcher).
Are Indians, culturally, really so childish as to think it would actually, somehow, "hurt" us to "say" they f*d our women?
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 14:41:04 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:

That's a good way of expressing it.
The "nice fella" was there in the beginning, all helpful and supportive, and then he went away for two and a half minutes, replaced by his evil (childish) twin, but then the nice fella came back on for almost ten minutes, before regressing back to his fourth-grade childhood name calling.
I spoke with the police department, who pretty much has confirmed that the files they wanted me to download are not the payload. Those files are merely legitimate remote access programs.
The illegitimacy comes later, with what they do with the remote access they have gleaned.
However, back to the cultural divide, you can hear in the recording that I asked him what caste he was from (he ignored the question).
But, what I don't understand, is why he wasted his time stating that he f'd all the female members of my family.
Is that something that would rile up an Indian?
Here, in the USA, it's sophomoric to the point of being meaningless.
I do realize profanity was invented by humans to indicate a conflict emotional escalation prior to the physical escalation ... http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2009/03/30/why-do-we-swear/
But, what I don't get is, if he was really after money, what is it about his culture that made him even bother to threaten all the females in my family with his sexual attention?
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:41:07 +0100, Adrian Tuddenham wrote:

Hey, they found the same "problem" with your computer as with mine!
Then they had you go to wwww (dot) oooooo (dot) us but I wasn't sure *what* they were expecting at the Start->Run command (maybe that part was cropped out?).
The last line is hilarious ... "What do you think I am a fool?", and "I'm as big a liar as you are"; but, I wasn't sure what their payload was supposed to be.
Ned Turnbull formulated on Wednesday :

They attempt to extort money and if you don't comply they have been known to call you an asshole and delete your files.

I asked one where he was located, and he said New Jersey and gave me a (I figured bogus) street address. He said error messages were being sent to the main server - so I asked him if he was in NJ why was it a Maine server. I only wasted about 15 minutes of his time but I did it without a computer. Next time, I may let him have his way with my WinXP Home - but not my mother and sister.

It's probably part of the textual Tourettes script he follows.

I am not to be knowing this.

Agreed, almost as old as 'your mother wears combat boots'.
[...]
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 15:53:57 -0400, Frank

Here in Canada caller ID is an option an most cell phones (but most plans include it)