Can an old timer explain car backfires?

The condenser also increases the spark on the secondary of the coil by returning that energy that was stored when the points opened.

Reply to
gfretwell

(from another friend)

The original purpose of the Vibrator was in the power supply of early car radios. The Vibrator would make pulsed DC to drive the transformer to make the B+ (Typically 300 Volts) and C voltage (Typically around 45 Volts) to run the old High Voltage tubes.

When I was Young and Dumb, I had a 1972 Impala 454 SS with dual exhaust. I made me a Vibrator powering a pair of Ignition Coils driving a pair of Spark Plugs I mounted in the exhaust tips. When I flipped the switch, it would throw flames about 3 or 4 Feet long out of the back.

This trick works best on Pre-1974 EPA cars then the newer ones.

.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just had a more serious look at that diagram. The points ign I've worked on, B+ goes to ballast resistor, to coil. Points switch the - side of the coil, with condensor going from points to ground. So, I also question the accuracy of that diagram.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon