Can an aluminum clad patio door be re-cladded?

If the aluminum on the exterior of an aluminum clad sliding patio door is beat up, scratched, etc. can it be replaced?
The interior is wood, stained to match the rest of the trim in the room and is in great shape. It's a really nice door with an oak sill and handle, etc. The homeowner does not want to replace the door, she just wants to make the outside look new again.
Is cladding a one time thing done during manufacture or can the old cladding be removed and replaced with new? Who would do this type of work?
Thanks!

Thank you. I put some effort into formulating them to be clear, concise and I hope somewhat intriguing. ;-)
----Android NewsGroup Reader---- http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup

Ask the manufacturer.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

She did, sort of. The local millwork place she bought it from is out of business. The main source's CSR said they don't repair doors, they just sell new ones and have some parts for older models. They had no suggestions on how to get the door repaired.
There's also been some mergers since she bought the door and now Crestline, Peachtree and Menards are all in the mix. I think that route has been exhausted.
I found a local window repair company and they said to email them some pictures and they'll see if it's anything they think they can fix. I have to go over and take some pictures. If they can do it, it'll be me that takes the panels out and temporarily seals the opening. I'm sure they'll be some duct tape involved.
On 7/19/2013 5:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

the ply.
What made the scratches? what is the other damage? any holes?
Have you considered just working the AL surface over with sandpaper and water? Coarse to finer paper.
Can you remove the door? If not, then you will never be able to try anything.
Is the AL edge crimped over the door veneer? I assume veneer over other wood.
Does the AL cover the entire surface of the door? Picture would be nice!
Paul

OK. I rather imagine that the Al is painted? Sand, Bondo as needed, prime and paint again?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

It's actually worse than just a paint issue. The cladding on the bottom of the fixed panel has pulled away from the wood preventing the screen from sliding paste it smoothly. It's been recaulked to prevent water from getting behind it.
It really needs to be replaced.
dadiOH wrote:

On your local Yellow page book, you may find a cladding outfit under windows/doors section.
Isn't the issue anodization? Aluminum needs this or else paint. I have a problem of deep pitting and guess I will have to look up a real or fake anodizing coating (without removing doors).
On Friday, July 19, 2013 1:37:46 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

to match the rest of the trim in the room and is in great shape. It's a re ally nice door with an oak sill and handle, etc. The homeowner does not wan t to replace the door, she just wants to make the outside look new again. I s cladding a one time thing done during manufacture or can the old cladding be removed and replaced with new? Who would do this type of work? Thanks!
A photo or two or three would be great

Maybe...maybe not. I need to take some pictures to send to a repair shop but the bottom line is that the aluminum needs to be replaced. It is bent, pulling away from the wood and holes are starting to appear. A picture might help you folks understand how bad it is, but it won't help answer the question of whether a door can be re-cladded or not.
Trust me, the existing aluminum can not be repaired.

sanding smooth and repainting might work?

It also pulling away from the glass on the bottom of the fixed panel. It sticks out enough that it causes the screen to pop out of the track and get all jammed up.
If it can't be reclad I may try to pull it in with some low profile pan head screws like these, then "sanding, filling, sanding smooth and repainting".
http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?products_id031&osCsid=pxswxprovez