Can a stacked dado blade be used in a compound slide miter saw?

Specifically the Makita LS1214L (http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=LS1214L ), which I am considering. I see Freud makes a 10" set with the 1" arbor size of the Makita.
TIA
Dan
Ask Makita?

says...

Well, a sliding compound saw cannot the blade up and down, so there is no way to adjust the depth of cut. You have a 10" blade on a 12" saw, so it would always make a 1" deep cut. It would also probably be too wide to fit the shaft unless it was set for a very narrow dado, and the blade guard may not fit back on. A radial arm saw has a long threaded portion of the shaft specifically to allow a dado set.
-- Dennis
DT wrote:

Dennis-Thanks for the reply. I dl'd the manual for the Makita & one other saw I'm looking at, the Bosch 5412L. Both outline the method of setting cut depth by limiting how far down the saw pivots. The Bosch manual even goes into detail on how to use the feature to cut grooves, using a dado would I assume be the same process, simply with wider "grooves". Using a 10" blade on a 12" saw may effect the adjustment range though. There may be 12" dados (even MORE $$$ ;-) Alternatively, both these saws come in 10" variations, a bit cheaper.
Dan

Dan, there is no way I'd use a dado set on a miter saw. First the arbor bolt only holds the blade tight on the arbor. There will be a shallow arbor that the blade actually sits on. Typically the arbor is only thick enough to hold the one blade.
Second, even if you could, the miter saw wouldn't have enough power to turn a full set of cutters. I have a 3 hp delta, the I will only use an 8" dado set. A 1 1/2 hp contractors saw should use a 6" set.
Get you self a good router if you have a lot of dados to cut. Or make the repeated cuts with the miter saw and use a chisel to clean up the bottom.
If you do attempt such a feat, please make sure some one is standing 20 - 30 feet to the side with a video camera running, cause they wont believe your story in the emergency room. Plus we'd all like to see the expression on your face.
Darrell

I hear that all the time, but the owner of Ridge Carbide says different. On his say so, I bought the 8" and it cuts very well on my 1 1/2 HP saw. He says the 6" is for the benchtop saws.
wrote in message

Dont disagree. Just a general rec. I did the same on a Jet Contractors saw. Have a 8" Freud set. Worked fine.
Darrell

DT gave you some good advice.
You might want to also ask this in rec.woodwrking.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
Jim McLaughlin wrote:

Thanks, Yeah I replied to Dennis. Also posted in rec.woodworking, no replies yet...
Dan
Dan wrote:

BTW I agree about the part Dennis said re: arbor length/guard clearance.
Dan

Dont worry, you'll get some replies!!!!!!!!!