Can a skid steer be used to level a gravel road

Page 2 of 3

Gotta love it. You call them, and they say, "I'm sorry. We cannot comment on any specific business."

The BBB is a scam run against both sides - the public AND the businessman. When the business you ask about isn't a Member there are inevitably "Uncleared complaints against them" - they need to pay for a membership to respond and clear the complaints.
And the higher membership fee they pay, the better an overall rating they get. And clearing the complaints is a joke - the company decides when they're done dealing with you and clears the complaint.
--<< Bruce >>--
On 12/4/2011 1:02 AM, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:

I'd like to organize a "Better Customers Bureau" that would report on people who refuse to pay business for products and services. It would be a real help to small businesses and contractors who always come across brain damaged, dishonest or insane customers. I've run across some real wing doozies of customers over several decades in the service and installation business and one ploy is to ask them who they have dealt with before. I can call the other contractor to ask them if they had any problems with a customer. The BCB could be a lot of fun. ^_^
TDD
On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 04:54:46 -0600, The Daring Dufas

How about a credit check? That may not catch all the kooks but it's a good way to catch the deadbeats and the two are somewhat correlated.
On 12/4/2011 10:50 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

That can be costly unless you do like a lot of rental companies who charge an application fee to pay for the credit check. As you may know, credit bureaus are notorious for being inaccurate. If I were to setup a BCB site, it would be accessible to all in a limited way for nonmembers to post a response in a moderated forum. For protection from crazy people, the site would be hosted offshore with the owner/operator hidden from weasel lawyers. No private personal information on customers would be allowed to be posted, just name and address for member businesses to check. Because of identity theft, no DOB, Social Security numbers for crooked customers would be posted even for members to check. All there would be would a listing saying "Mr. Jones on xx date refuse to pay for work done by me at this address. Before and after pictures could be posted by both parties with Mr. Jones posting to the moderated forum. It would take some thought and work to set it up but it could be a invaluable service to small business that could afford a small membership fee to have access to the database. I did some work for a real nut job some years back who complained constantly that something was wrong with the equipment. It turned out that all the problems were cause by one of his employees who was not properly operating the system. He refused to admit it was his employee all along and continued to pester me until I finally had to get my attorney to write him a cease and desist letter. I later got a call from another company he called to work on his gear and I explained what a nut job the guy was and the other contractor decided he couldn't help the guy. I believe everyone in the business found out about him and he became untouchable. A BCB would have helped protect a lot of companies from that nut job. ^_^
TDD
On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 11:54:34 -0600, The Daring Dufas

True enough (just paid $50 for one). How costly are no-pays and kooks?

That's not the contractor/merchant's problem.

Without more information, it's hard to track people. As you point out, credit bureaus get away with murder. I doesn't seem impossible to clone that model. Maybe credit bureaus are missing a big opportunity (say $5 per kook check).

On 12/4/2011 6:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Dufas is actually a proper surname, the pejorative term is "doofus". ^_^
http://www.ancestry.com/facts/Dufas-family-history-sct.ashx
TDD

Now, if someone wanted to start an ANTI-TOP POSTING BUREAU, where can I send money?
Steve
On 12/5/2011 5:04 PM, Steve B wrote:

Send a DATA bomb, perhaps that will work? ^_^
TDD

I just got rid of him in the simplest way. Interested reading about the zip bomb. I had never heard of that before.
Steve
On 12/3/2011 7:07 PM, aemeijers wrote: ...

Mayhaps your local CofC is inactive or of minimal value; they certainly aren't as a general rule. Around here they are very active and do good work in development, etc., etc., etc., ...

I used to sell new cars. Two guys, call them Bob and Ray. Ray gets a "new" used pickup from the used car lot portion of our dealership. Trades in his used pickup. Bob buys Ray's old pickup from the lot. A couple of weeks later, Bob and Ray meet. Doesn't matter how. Bob comments on how he likes his truck, and how he got a good deal, and how it was low mileage. Ray tells Bob that he was the guy who traded it in, and it wasn't the mileage on the odometer when he traded it in. They contact the State. Bob and Ray get all their money back. Debt cancelled. They get to keep the trucks. State fines used car lot a hefty amount, and puts them on the watch closely list for many years.
What happened to you was probably illegal, Ig. How much of a deal you want to make is up to you, and how much of a deal you can ACTUALLY make depends on the laws of your state. And who you want to piss off comes into play, too, as some car lots have reposessors and collectors on retainer, known for their "negotiating" skills.
I'd investigate it further. The $13,500 could have possibly bought you something else that day that could have turned out profitable.
Steve
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:30:01 -0600, Ignoramus27667

Sorry, I odn't know, but what's that blue thing? What goes down and what goes up?
On 11/30/2011 11:31 PM, micky wrote:

It's a dust collector. fans pull the dust into the hopper, and it falls into that 55 gallon drum under it.
On 12/1/2011 9:44 AM, tnik wrote: ...

And a sizable one at that...
Guesses on fan motor hp, anyone? :)
From the pic -- looks like you need to direct that water away from the building also. That is another challenge. It does not seem like you can raise only the road bed, else you will trap water against the building. And it's not clear what is on the other side of the road. If you get the water off the road, where does it go?
In general, you want to get the road bed built up, with ditches to each side and a path for the water to run away from the road and towards an area where it can runoff or harmlessly pool. I have a 1/2 mile driveway and have issues where the steepness of the road makes it hard to direct the water off the road.

10 hp

Thanks. My house is pretty dusty. I should get one of those.
On Nov 30, 7:30pm, Ignoramus27667 <ignoramus27...@NOSPAM. 27667.invalid> wrote:

With a good operator and a road that only needs regraveling? Yes. A road in your condition with big potholes? No. What your road needs is something to first loosen what is there down to the bottom of the potholes, then regrade and add more gravel if needed.
If you spread more gravel over the current condition, your potholes will be back in short order.
Harry K

Depends on operator skill. Which probably means that if you have to ask, have fun cleaning up after yourself (experience at being the unskilled operator on some different machinery - where everybody starts sometime...) Exactly how hard it is also depends on things like if the blade is 6-way or only 4-way, and whether you happen to have a handy and expensive rotary rake attachment (which can nearly eliminate the need for hand raking I'll mention below.)
It's pretty much exactly not what you want in a road grader (blade sticking out front of a short track, not supported between wheels on long frame.) So you are fighting the normal tendency of the machine to get the work done. I've had a guy use one to pretty good effect on road work - but that's what he does a good part of the day, most days. You need a good eye or a lot of fiddling with survey equipment to pick the right high spots and how far to cut them - a grader helps you do that, a skid-steer leaves it all up to your ability to know where the blade is even as the machine tips this way and that.
It's a good idea to have and know how to use a manual rock rake, and to know at what point you are better off fixing things with it, than to try to get things all the way done with heavy equipment, when it's the wrong heavy equipment (but presumably what you either happen to own or are thinking of buying...) - I've seen people who should know better spend 4 hours dragging a york rake around trying (and failing) to fix things an hour of intelligent hand raking would have fixed.
If you don't already own the skid-steer, that one (looking at the scale) would be better attacked (if allergic to having someone with a grader and vibratory roller [I wish the town road crew used one of those, but they don't] fix it for you) with a rock rake, shovel, wheelbarrow, and pick (to break up the hard stuff for shoveling and/or raking from the high points.) Then drive your truck over it a lot, or hire someone with a roller, preferably a vibratory, which packs the base much better than a plain roller.
Even if you don't intend to dig much, might be a good idea to call dig-safe before you get started, lest there be any sketchily buried wires/cables out there.