Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?

Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?

I run my self-cleaning electric oven about once a year, for the last 3 years. It gets really hot to burn off the dirt. Takes about 3 hours iirc. Works quite well.

This time, I happened to have two CO detectors plugged in. My new one started beeping so I plugged in the old one I hadn't used for 3 years or so. Then I read the online manual and found out the beeps meant the new one needed a new battery. So I put one in, and now both were plugged in.

The self-cleaning was running for an hour when the AC powered smoke detector started beeping. No batteries to remove and I still don't know what circuit it's on.

So I stayed in the basement for another 90 minutes and when I went two the second floor, I noticed the OLD CO detector said 50, which I suppose is 50 parts per million. The oid one was in the hall at the top of the stairs. The new one, around two corners in the master bedroom bathroom, that is, farther away, said ZERO.

50 is not high and the alarm wasn't alarmed or alarming, but the digital readout said 50, for about another 15 or 30 minutes.

Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?

Reply to
micky

On 04/04/2015 12:05 AM, micky wrote: X

philo

I had assumed his self cleaning oven was electric. Incomplete combustion of carbon sources can generate carbon monoxide but there is probably not enough residue in the oven to generate enough to worry about.

Reply to
Frank

+1

I'd expect it would very likely produce some CO because it's almost certainly not a clean, stoichiometric burn. But it's not enough for concern.

Reply to
trader_4

I re-read his post and yep, it is electric.

At any rate, there is of course a small amount of incomplete combustion simply from the food residue. The amount of CO emitted is too small to worry about though.

Reply to
philo

Hi, Not enough to even make one sick. Any hiow I turn on the overhead fan when self-cleaning.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'm probably not the best person to reply to this, cuz I've never owned a self cleaning oven. As a matter of fact, it's probably been 20 years since I last used an oven. But I recall back in the 70's or maybe early

80's, I lived with someone who used some of that spray oven cleaner. The fumes were enough to make me go outdoors and stay out of that house for hours. Before going back in the house, we had to run some windoww fans, and that was in mid-winter. That stuff is far worse than carbon monoxide. We never used it again. We scrubbed the oven by hand after that, even if it took hours.
Reply to
Jerry.Tan

replying to Jerry.Tan, Dominique wrote: Self cleaning ovens can and do produce Carbon monoxide and it can be enough to make a person feel very sick for days. It?s happened to me and I no longer use the self cleaning feature.

Reply to
Dominique