can a laminate counter top be repaired?

I am moving into a new place, the laminate counter top in the kitchen has a wear mark / chip in it about the size of a quarter. I plan on replacing the counter top next spring but was wondering if their is any product or way of repairing it? I was thinking of finding a paint close in color to cover it so it is not as noticeable. are there any better options for repair or a tempary fix??? thanks

Reply to
Dr. Doctor

Does the blemish lend itself to routing and installing a "custom" cutting board?

Keep the whole world singing. . . Dan G

(remove the 7)

Dr. Doctor wrote:

Reply to
Dan G

Some 15 years ago I had an electric coffee maker go south and burn a 3 inch patch in the Formica laminate of my kitchen counter--the intense heat caused the laminate to bubble up and crack.

I managed to find a scrap of the very same pattern (whatta surprise--the counter was 20 years old by that time) at a store. I think it was the sort of store that sold resilient floor covering--don't remember for sure.

So I cut out a 3" disk from the scrap, laid it on the burned area, traced around it with a pen, and then carefully routed out the bad stuff with my rarely-used-but-at-times-indispensible Dremel tool (I don't own a real router). I used epoxy to glue in the patch.

Of course it's noticeable, but hardly so. Just a thin gray line around the periphery of the patch. And completely water-tight. It was holding just fine when I sold the house a year ago.

--John W. Wells

Reply to
John W. Wells