Can a gas valve be used as a HW heater drain?

Last night I noticed the drain valve on the bottom of my HW heater was leaking and no matter how many times I tried to tighten it or adjust it, it still leaked. The only part I had available was a 3/4" gas valve. I put it on and it worked. No leaks. Any concerns doing this?
Mikepier wrote:

If it is a brass 3/4" ball valve, then you have just upgraded your system.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Brass in those applications tends to have a few percent of lead in it to make it machine easily, other than that it should work fine. Mikepier wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote:

Who cares about lead in a drain valve??

--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

News Flash! There are people who are concerned about ANY lead. And asbestos, DDT, Dioxen, PVC, trans-fats, Sodium, Silicone breast implants, Red dye #2, Alar, CO2, IE7, and dozens of other harmless things. Such worry - and activism - gives their life meaning.

News flash!! FAR more lead was released into the environment in *making* the valve than will ever be released from *using* it.
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

I thought plumbing intended for gas had a left-hand thread. No?
--
Keith

No. Right-hand thread, same as water pipe.
--
Regards,

No.
snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote:

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, even if I purchased a regular boiler drain valve or similiar stopcock valve from HD, isn't that made of brass also?