Campbell Hausfield Air Nailer Combo at Costco?

It consists of an 18 gage brad nailer, 15 gage angle finish nailer and round head framing nailer. Price: $169.99.

Anyone bought one or know of anyone who has? I have a Campbell Hausfield air impact wrench that has given excellent service, but now experitnce with their nailers. My current finish nailer is a Harbor Freight job that turned out to be a throw-away piece of crap. I'd like to avoid that experience again., but don't want to pay $200-$300 for a framing nailer for just occaisional homeowners use.

Thanks, Art Coe

Reply to
acwaterman

No experience with the CH naillers, probably ok for light duty homeowner use. A more reliable option may be the equivalent kit from Porter Cable that sells for around $300. Yes, it's twice the price, but the PC nail guns are a known item with a good track record.

Reply to
Pete C.

on 11/9/2007 1:26 AM snipped-for-privacy@cs.com said the following:

How about a reconditioned CH 18 ga brad nailer from CH itself? A lot cheaper.

willshak

Many years ago I was told "you get what you pay for". Seems to have held up to be true. If your use and expectations are not overly high, they will work OK for you.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In my experience, Costco doesn't sell crap. They have some low end stuff, but it's not the lowest end, and it's of reasonable quality. A pro would be nuts to buy his tools there as they're not made for day in and day out abuse - the stuff they sell is usually more of the weekend warrior variety with a few upgrades here and there.

Check out epinions.com - maybe there are some reviews of that nailer set.

RicodJour

CH sells junk. I have no personal experience with them but have heard enough bad things about them to be convinced to stay away. They are priced the way they are for a reason.. I have a Bostitch 15Ga finish nailer, Bostitch framing and roofing nailer. They are excellent nailguns for the money.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

I have one. It freezed up once when using it at low load, i.e. blowing air. Had to shut it off a few minutes to get it working agian. Other than than it works fine, The most I used it for is to do all the trim in a couple rooms and it worked flawlessly. Because of the freezing up, and especially if you were a heavy user, I'd pay more and get the compreble Porter Cable, but then again Costco did offer to replace it, just didn't do it because I couldn't get it to freeze again. Hard to complain about a $160 compressor that has that good of a guarantee.

Reply to
TH

Then don't obsess about it, just use a hammer. Later in life, all of us will find using a hammer in framing siuations no longer yields acceptable results, so something like a Senco nailer will bring back the pleasure of a good job. However, buyng an el cheapo to use on, for example, treated yellow pine is really a waste of money. A good framing nailer is a brute of a tool, has to be if you need to drive 3

1/2" sinkers. Of course since you will be using your hammer a lot, just set the nails flush after the pathetic CH gets them somewhat into the wood. Nailers tend to be like computer printers...the supplies are what the makers really profit from. For just my Senco framer alone, I keep 8 or 9 boxes of various nails, different lengths, plain, ring shank, stainless, etc. At $40-60 a pop the tool cost isn't that much of a factor. Of course, each box is a pretty hefty size, many hundreds of clips. Even the brad nailers need different lengths for each project, 1" to 2 1/2". Before committing the budget, though, do some research on cordless impact drivers, particularly the Li ion Makita's. Those light weight little meanies will drive a 3" Philips head screw through a 2 x 4 and sink it down into the substrate better than any nailer. Still kind of pricey, though, even on eBay they're going for better than $200. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe