Camel Crickets in the Basement

Anyone have ideas how to get rid of these pests?
What are they? Got any pictures?
On Tue, 17 May 2005 03:33:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com wrote:

instead of black like in my native Illinois, I just assumed the sun was too strong for a black body. Now I know the truth. Thanks.
By the way, I had untold numbers of them in my garage...I left the spiders alone (in particular the Black Widows) and within a year, I didn't see crickets anymore. Was very careful not to reach into dark corners and under bushes, however.
Tom.
says... :) When I moved from Illinois to Arizona and found the crickets to be brown :) instead of black like in my native Illinois, I just assumed the sun was too :) strong for a black body. Now I know the truth. Thanks. :) :) Rather than camel crickets you probably were seing house crickets, brown unlike the black field crickets.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
On Tue, 17 May 2005 10:43:16 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"

Oh, those things. I have them in my cistern, where my well tank is located. I never knew what they were, but did not seem like anything to worry about. From the web article the cistern is an ideal location for them, as are basements. Personally, I dont think they are going to do you any harm, but if you need to get rid of them, find out where they get in. These must be a hole somewhere.
Now I learned what those things are in my cistern. I never knew, and the first time I went in there they had me a little on edge, but I soon found out they are not a problem of any sort, and tend to avoid me.
Mark

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/camel.htm

I had those things pretty badly in my basement for several years. Spraying from an exterminator service did nothing to combat this. I finally went to a site called Bugspray.com and bought a bait called Niban FG. It is in granular form. I spread this in my crawlspace and all along the corners and crevices of the unfinished side. It took a couple of months to start seeing results but it really worked. In about 3 or 4 months, no more of those creepy crickets.

Thanks for the link. There was a ton of info on them. http://www.bugspray.com/articles98/camelcrickets.html
On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:59:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com wrote:

You might just apply some boric acid too. It works on roaches and other bugs, so it might work for these too. It's cheap and you dont have harmful chemicals in your house.
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com says... :) You might just apply some boric acid too. It works on roaches and :) other bugs, so it might work for these too. It's cheap and you dont :) have harmful chemicals in your house. :) :) It will kill the ones that get into it, but won't really take care of the source area...it is cheap but actually one of the more toxic choices of insecticide products to use.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Get a cat.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote on 17 May 2005:

Absolutely! Our cats love to hunt them down. Works like a charm and chemical-free. Also works on mice and flying insects. :)
--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address