Caloric electric range problem

We have a problem with the Caloric electric range which was purchased by the previous owner of our house in May 1986. The model is ESR306-2D.
When I turned on the oven to preheat it today, I heard a slight pop after a couple of minutes. There was a flash of light, and a small flame appeared on part of the heating element mounted on the bottom of the oven. The element was just beginning to glow when this happened.
I turned the oven off immediately, but the flame, which rose from a roughly inch-long white-hot section of the element, continued to burn.
When the flame finally went out, the element wouldn't heat up. I'm assuming it's burned out.
If this is the case, what's involved in replacing the element? The element is bent into a kind of rounded "M" shape, with each leg of the "M" passing through a hole in a small plate screwed to the back of the oven.
Now, if it's an easy fix, meaning just unscrew the small plates, remove the old element and put in a new one, I'll consider it. My wife, of course, wants a new range.
I'm not completely opposed to a new one considering the age of the appliance and the fact that the timer doesn't work, but I'd just like to know more about fixing it (assuming I can get the part).
Any comments, suggestions, or ideas will be welcome.
-Len
LenS wrote:

Hi,
How to change a common oven element... http://www.applianceaid.com/elecrange.html#change-bake

Model# won't come up for me but it may be to old for online look ups.
Caloric is owned by Amana and Amana is now owned by Maytag. Any Maytag parts depot should be able to get you the element. Bring in the old element and your model# is you check a local parts depot.

A common one... http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N68 Oven bake heating element.

The part should be easy to get. Even if you can't get the exact original replacement element, appliance parts stores stock universal replacement oven elements that work well. Look for an appliance parts store in your area - not the Home Depot type places.
Changing it is just a matter of unscrewing the small plates, pulling the element slightly forward and disconnecting the wires. The wires will be attached either via spade lugs or will be bolted on to end loops on the element. Obviously, turn off the breaker to the range before you perform this....
I'd not replace the range due to this. It's a simple repair and I don't like creating more scrap.
Doug
Maytag part #0042146 bake element (Maytag owns Amana/Caloric) Unplug the range before you attempt to replace this part.
Ed wrote:

Thats the one I guessed at :D
jeff Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Ah, but how expensive?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Depends on where you shop. $30 - $50 is not unusual. After market subs work just fine and may be cheaper. The parts seller can cross reference for you.
Plenty less expensive than replacement stove.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Approx $45.00 here... http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N68 Oven bake heating element - has a picture.
Approx $34.00 here... http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi-bin/promote-detail.cgi?affiliate_id=AppAid&item 42146&brand=MAC Bake Element - no picture.
jeff Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:02:17 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

The one I found online and the one I bought locally was $40.
-Len
Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry about the non-functional heating element in our Caloric oven.
I found a description and photograph of the element online, and ordered one by phone from a local (Chicago area) appliance parts supplier. Tomorrow my son-in-law will pick up the part and install it. I'm in my early 70's and not in terrific health so I will observe him with powerful glasses and offer gems of helpful supervision.
And yes, we will disconnect the range before we touch it.
Thanks again!
-Len
LenS wrote:

G'day,