call blocker device suggestions?

Oh. I will have to see just what is offered here, when it gets here.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

If the source is indeed off-shore -- that is, in another nation -- what jurisdiction would the U.S. government or the government of any U.S. state have in that other nation? Turn that around. If someone in the U.S. violated a German or French patent, should those nations have the right to go to Philadelphia and arrest someone, try him, and fine him?

Reply to
David E. Ross

I rarely get non-charity/political calls. I did get a call a couple weeks ago from a vent cleaning company. What kind of calls would come from overseas?

Reply to
Vic Smith

Round here most of them. Might be different in the USA.

Cold calls originating in the UK are regulated by an impotent toothless regulator and the existence of sites like "Who calls me" that names and shames any transgressors. Typically they are solicitors soliciting and claims firms drumming up applicants for fake whiplash claims.

However, VOIP allows the cold calling drudges to be located anywhere in the world where labour is cheap and so bypasses all domestic controls. Forged CLID is increasingly common too.

Many phones offer blocking known chunks of bad behaviour and some phone services here allow blocking of individual bad numbers (optional extra).

Reply to
Martin Brown

You /do/ realize you're crossposting to alt.windows7.general, yes? (Just checking...)

Reply to
s|b
[snip]

Good for you.

You need to be aware that some people have serious problems YOU fail to realize. They don't meed the insults.

Reply to
Sam E

Regular caller ID doesn't work when you're already on the phone (when you get call waiting). Verizon made you pay for a THIRD service to get it.

I have Suddenlink phone. It does include caller ID and call waiting (and they DO work together).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

They stop ringing when the call is blocked, unless they're on a second phone line (i.e., a different phone number).

Reply to
Gene E. Bloch

As long as the caller ID is the same number every time, that's a good use of blocking.

One time I use it is with charities. I make a donation when I decide to do so, not when they're trying to TAKE my money as is it was already theirs.

There's still a lot of junk calls where blocking doesn't work (too many spoofed numbers).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

"Microsoft" scams?

I haven't gotten one of those, maybe since I seldom answer junk calls. I think if I got one of those calls I'd be suspicious about how someone knew so much about MY computer.

I have gotten junk calls for home security systems, extended vehicle "warranties", and credit cards.

As to answering machine messages, most of these callers don't leave messages, although I have gotten unintelligible sounds (like too many people talking) and dial tone. The few that do usually DON'T wait for the beep.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

But not forged very well, so CID is still useful. The junk is often obvious like "V2345679845". Do you know anyone with that NAME?

I have that (blocking individual numbers) available, and use that when possible (like for charities).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

CPR Call Blocker. Best $89 I ever spent.

Peace and quiet at last ...

Reply to
Laine

Sure, maybe 10% of people have genetically caused illness. I don't mind helping them one bit.

But the rest of them are fat lazy slugs. You see them riding obesecycles at Walmart, loading the basket with junk food like potato chips and sugary snack cakes, Then they get diabetes and/or have a heart attack and/or a stroke.

Why should I have to pay for their stupidity?

Reply to
Art

That may be true, but please explain why some in the ruling class say it should be his responsibility to pay for some fat, lazy and expensive to insure slugs.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Because it's not fair that they suffer from their own stupidity? They are entitled to the money you made, because you are unfairly healthy.

Or, so the liberals are wont to say.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's okay. I have two voice lines, the second being a rollover line. So I would not have call waiting. PhoneTray does handle two lines.

Wiring could get a little complicated. I have a Panasonic PBX. I have extra wires to my office. I can run the CO lines up to my office, into the modem that PhoneTray requires. But will I need two modems? I'm not going to bother figuring it out until FiOS arrives.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

| But not forged very well, so CID is still useful. The junk is often | obvious like "V2345679845". Do you know anyone with that NAME? |

I've had calls from myself and last week I had a call from directory assistance. :) Most calls I get at least seem to be local, but I don't pick up unless I recognize the caller ID, so I'm not really sure.

I saw an interview recently with the man who started nomorobo. He said something to the effect that "if a halfwit like me can easily compile a blacklist of phone numbers the government could certainly do it." Good point.

Reply to
Mayayana

Art's right. Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for double wide bubble butt's medical bills.

Reply to
Bill

Per David E. Ross:

Knowing absolutely *nothing* about law enforcement, my totally-uninformed, unencumbered by any knowledge though would be honey traps:

- Recruit a bunch of people with phones (state employees?) who agree to participate

- Issue them special-purpose credit card numbers. There are credit card accounts that will give you a virtual one-time-use credit card number each time you want to buy something.... so the control aspect is there.

- When they get a suspect call, they go the whole route. Sooner-or-later, money changes hands and the ultimate recipient of the money becomes the target.

If they're in the USA, done deal. Otherwise ? .... maybe extradition?

Like I said at the start, I know nothing.

But I would bet a week's pay that if those same robocalls were threatening some highly-placed political figure the perpetrators would be dead or in jail within a week - maybe within 48 hours if the figure was high enough.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Art:

So do I so am I.

Having said that, I recognize that the essence of insurance is spreading the risk.

I could live a totally healthy life and get hit by a car or come down with cancer tomorrow.

Also, once insurance gets too granular (i.e. the insurers know so much about one that they can precisely predict health problems and raise rates accordingly) you no longer have insurance because people with higher risk factors pay so much that it just becomes a pre-payment plan.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)