call blocker device suggestions?

Monotonous is excellent and free if your carrier supports simultaneous 2 number ringing AND you can live with a single annoying ring for each nuisance caller it recognizes.

Reply to
Smarty

Phonetray stopped accepting new customers well over a year ago. I had it when I had dial up internet and it was great. They are only maintaining their service for established customers only.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Not all phone companies offer nomorobo.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

as long as a phone number shows up on caller ID.

his unit is tied in parallel to the phone you

is unit. Or do you plug your phone into it first?

and

for home page.

I have the ProCaller Block box, too, and it's FABULOUS, FABULOUS, FABULOUS.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

In order to use NoMoRobo your phone service needs to have a "follow-me" where incoming calls will ring on your phone and other predetermined phones simultaneously. NoMoRobo keeps a database of "undesired" numbers and when such a number shows up on your caller ID the call gets answered by NoMoRobo, so you hear only one ring. It doesn't intercept all undesirable calls, but it's a good start -- and it's free.

Reply to
Bob

_IF_ your local phone company offers this service. Mine doesn't, thus I opted for the ProCaller Block device which is outstanding.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Hi Bill,

First, add your number to the federal do-not-call registry.

Second, see if your phone service provider provides any kind of phone blocking services. We use 1-VOIP for our phone service. I block all callers from 800, 888, and 876 numbers. Family and friends will never use toll-free numbers, nor do any local businesses we work with (banks, medical, etc.). I also block a few specific numbers from local callers (local fundraisers and whatnot).

I can also set up my phone filters to only accept numbers from specific area codes, but so far that has not been necessary.

Using these two simple steps we have not had a junk call in years.

On the rare occasion I get an unknown call I only say "hello" once. If the person on the other end doesn't say hello back, it's probably an automated call. If I get a recording or a person that is obviously a sales call, I simply hang up. I have more important things to do than waste my time interacting with a call I didn't want in the first place. Rude? Maybe, but the unwanted call was rude to start with.

Good luck,

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I'm questioning why this would happen "upwards of 10 calls daily." I get a robocall about once a every two weeks. Charities and political calls are exempt from the "do not call" list. Some use robocalling. I've learned to recognize the soundless delay and simply hang up the phone. If I'm not quick enough somebody comes on the other end. The OP is getting '"upwards of 10 calls daily" and doesn't know who is calling; something is wrong with that from her end. The "do not call" list has worked for me. In the 10 years or so since I entered my number unwanted calls are few and far between. I've told maybe only 2 callers that they've violated the "do not call" list and they never called again. This guy's wife is getting thousands more unwanted calls than me. That's pure harassment in my book. Or bullshit. Shouldn't happen.

Reply to
Vic Smith

That isn't what I saw when I went to the site. When did you last check?

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

OK, I'll give you one.

Through diet and excercise, I take care of my health. Unfortunately for me, I'm forced into ObamaCares expensive medical plans with a bunch of fat lazy expensive-to-insure slugs.

Reply to
Art

t when I had dial up internet and it was great. They are only maintaining their service for established customers only.

I used Phonetray when I had dial up, it was a one time payment and I don't even remember what my password was with them then I got DSL 7 or 8 years ag o so no need for their services now. I was just quoting from their announc ement of about 2 years ago that they would no longer be accepting new custo mers. I don't need their services now as the ProCall Blocker stops those c alls dead in their tracks.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

*You have caller ID, why not use it? I see an odd number on my caller ID I ignore it and let it go to voicemail. Most of the time no one leaves a message except the automated calls.
Reply to
John G

Okay. So instead of checking the posted link, you went by something that was two years old. And you were wrong.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Wow, such insight. All you did was to repeat what the prior poster wrote. Is the goal to see how many times you can post nonsense to this thread?

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

't even remember what my password was with them then I got DSL 7 or 8 years ago so no need for their services now. I was just quoting from their anno uncement of about 2 years ago that they would no longer be accepting new cu stomers. I don't need their services now as the ProCall Blocker stops thos e calls dead in their tracks.

My mistake, I did go to the website and I was wrong, no need to change your name to Don Wiseass. I still have no need for Phonetray now.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I ignore it and let it go to voicemail. Most of the time no one leaves a message except the automated calls.

Even then they don't leave a message. Who wants to listen to your phone ri ng a half dozen times a day and then wait for the answering machine pick up for them to then hang up?? Not everybody has voicemail and they will call and call and call and call and call and call and call and call and call un til a human actually answers the phone. Then you tell them you are not int erested and then it starts all over again with them calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling. Stop them dead in their trac ks by BLOCKING them the first time they call.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Per Mark Lloyd:

My experience has been the same - with two additions:

- In the very beginning, I actually got a few bucks from the Penna Atty Genera's office: my share of a settlement resulting from a complaint I filed.

- I now have a stack of lame-sounding letters from the same Penna Atty General's office to the effect that, since solicitors have moved offshore and started using VOIP there's nothing they can do. Which I translate to either "Somebody's paid off somebody, somewhere, to reduce the budget for these prosecutions." or "We have an already-limited budget and we have to prioritize."

It's probably #2, but my inner misanthrope likes #1.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Don Wiss:

We have the most basic, el-cheapo phone service over FiOS and CallerID would still be an extra cost (which I am currently too cheap to pay).

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Mark Lloyd:

Seems to me like the only test would be two phones side-by-side on the same exchange: one "With" and one "Without" and some record of calls to each.

Having said that, I have had the SIT tone for "Number not working" in the beginning of my answering machine announcement for at least 4 years now and I do not perceive any improvement.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Dave Platt:

Supposedly there was a scam using that strategy: the CallerID number would be one of those exchanges like the phone sex operators use where the caller gets charged per minute and a percentage of the charge goes to the operator.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)