call blocker device suggestions?

Page 3 of 9

That isn't what I saw when I went to the site. When did you last check?
On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 1:51:07 AM UTC-5, Don Wiss wrote:

their service for established customers only.

even remember what my password was with them then I got DSL 7 or 8 years ag o so no need for their services now. I was just quoting from their announc ement of about 2 years ago that they would no longer be accepting new custo mers. I don't need their services now as the ProCall Blocker stops those c alls dead in their tracks.

Okay. So instead of checking the posted link, you went by something that was two years old. And you were wrong.
On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 8:12:48 AM UTC-5, Don Wiss wrote:

ago so no need for their services now. I was just quoting from their anno uncement of about 2 years ago that they would no longer be accepting new cu stomers. I don't need their services now as the ProCall Blocker stops thos e calls dead in their tracks.

name to Don Wiseass. I still have no need for Phonetray now.
On 03/29/2015 07:12 AM, bill ashford wrote:

I signed up at nomorobo . It's free and it blocks a large percentage of the nuisance calls.
https://www.nomorobo.com/
Your carrier must provide a "simultaneous ring" option for it to work.
On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 8:51:53 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:

Wow, such insight. All you did was to repeat what the prior poster wrote. Is the goal to see how many times you can post nonsense to this thread?
| in UK, silent calls are illegal, and the originator can | suffer quite a large fine. | | If it isn't already, you could pester your councillor/senator/whatever | to have similar legislation passed there.
We actually have pretty good protection in the US, in theory. A few years ago there was a federal Do-Not-Call list and also a state version where I could register a complaint. Advertisers were not allowed to call registered numbers. Now the state version is closed and the federal version seems to be a joke, with no enforcement. I probably get 2-3 junk calls per day. I gave up complaining about them. I just use an answering machine with Caller ID.
Citizen protection from corporate exploitation has gone *way* downhill in the US. I just read the other day that Google lost an effort in Britan to stop Safari users from suing over privacy due to Google bypassing all cookie settings to track people. http://bgr.com/2015/03/27/google-lawsuit-safari-cookies/
Apparently they hacked a Safari bug to spy on people. Google claimed that resulting privacy lawsuits in Britain should be thrown out because the people spied on didn't lose any money! I thought that was a great example of the difference between European civility and American corporatocracy. It's classic American thinking: Anything that makes money can't be wrong.
Our allegedly liberal president Clinton pushed through NAFTA, which boils down to a free ticket for American corporations to exploit foregin labor and avoid American labor costs. Our allegedly liberal president Obama is now pushing a similar agreement in Asia. With friends like that, who needs Republican oligarchs?
We have a similarly problematic sitution with telephone service accounts. They're no longer regulated as a utility for all practical purposes. My own phone company is raising my rate next month. There's nothing I can do. I checked into it last time they raised the rate. They're free to set any rate they like. In theory I could switch to another company, but that company is Verizon and the two companies keep their offerings matched. As with highspeed cable, there isn't any real competition.
With both landlines and cellphones there's no longer any way to actually find out what the plans and prices are. There's no set price. It's all devolved into a flim flam operation, like used cars. They charge what they think they can get away with. Here in the colonies we have to depend on the civility of European law to police "cowboy" American corporations. It's our only hope. :)
On 03/29/2015 09:10 AM, Mayayana wrote:
[snip]

When the federal Do-Not-Call list was new, I registered for it, and forawhile was getting almost no junk calls. Now, I get as many as before.
[here]

Here I left the regular phone company (Verizon, formerly GTE) and switched to cable (Suddenlink, formerly Cox) and saved about 50%. I'm not sure if that's still true as it's part of a "bundle".
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

But there are other choices, even less expensive than what you pay. For example I use PhonePower and pay them about $5 a month.
| But there are other choices, even less expensive than what you pay. | For example I use PhonePower and pay them about $5 a month. |
That's VoIP. We're talking about real phones.
Per Mark Lloyd:

My experience has been the same - with two additions:
- In the very beginning, I actually got a few bucks from the Penna Atty Genera's office: my share of a settlement resulting from a complaint I filed.
- I now have a stack of lame-sounding letters from the same Penna Atty General's office to the effect that, since solicitors have moved offshore and started using VOIP there's nothing they can do. Which I translate to either "Somebody's paid off somebody, somewhere, to reduce the budget for these prosecutions." or "We have an already-limited budget and we have to prioritize."
It's probably #2, but my inner misanthrope likes #1.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 3/30/2015 7:42 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

If the source is indeed off-shore -- that is, in another nation -- what jurisdiction would the U.S. government or the government of any U.S. state have in that other nation? Turn that around. If someone in the U.S. violated a German or French patent, should those nations have the right to go to Philadelphia and arrest someone, try him, and fine him?
--
David E. Ross

Why do we tolerate political leaders who
Per David E. Ross:

Knowing absolutely *nothing* about law enforcement, my totally-uninformed, unencumbered by any knowledge though would be honey traps:
- Recruit a bunch of people with phones (state employees?) who agree to participate
- Issue them special-purpose credit card numbers. There are credit card accounts that will give you a virtual one-time-use credit card number each time you want to buy something.... so the control aspect is there.
- When they get a suspect call, they go the whole route. Sooner-or-later, money changes hands and the ultimate recipient of the money becomes the target.
If they're in the USA, done deal. Otherwise ? .... maybe extradition?
Like I said at the start, I know nothing.
But I would bet a week's pay that if those same robocalls were threatening some highly-placed political figure the perpetrators would be dead or in jail within a week - maybe within 48 hours if the figure was high enough.
--
Pete Cresswell

I rarely get non-charity/political calls. I did get a call a couple weeks ago from a vent cleaning company. What kind of calls would come from overseas?
On 30/03/2015 16:34, Vic Smith wrote:

Round here most of them. Might be different in the USA.
Cold calls originating in the UK are regulated by an impotent toothless regulator and the existence of sites like "Who calls me" that names and shames any transgressors. Typically they are solicitors soliciting and claims firms drumming up applicants for fake whiplash claims.
However, VOIP allows the cold calling drudges to be located anywhere in the world where labour is cheap and so bypasses all domestic controls. Forged CLID is increasingly common too.
Many phones offer blocking known chunks of bad behaviour and some phone services here allow blocking of individual bad numbers (optional extra).
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 03/30/2015 12:04 PM, Martin Brown wrote:
[snip]

But not forged very well, so CID is still useful. The junk is often obvious like "V2345679845". Do you know anyone with that NAME?

I have that (blocking individual numbers) available, and use that when possible (like for charities).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
| But not forged very well, so CID is still useful. The junk is often | obvious like "V2345679845". Do you know anyone with that NAME? |
I've had calls from myself and last week I had a call from directory assistance. :) Most calls I get at least seem to be local, but I don't pick up unless I recognize the caller ID, so I'm not really sure.
I saw an interview recently with the man who started nomorobo. He said something to the effect that "if a halfwit like me can easily compile a blacklist of phone numbers the government could certainly do it." Good point.
On 03/30/2015 07:57 PM, Mayayana wrote:

And then put your business on it, if you supported the wrong candidate. No thanks, we've got quite enough of that sort of thing already.
Cheers
Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
On 03/30/2015 10:34 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
[snip]

"Microsoft" scams?
I haven't gotten one of those, maybe since I seldom answer junk calls. I think if I got one of those calls I'd be suspicious about how someone knew so much about MY computer.
I have gotten junk calls for home security systems, extended vehicle "warranties", and credit cards.
As to answering machine messages, most of these callers don't leave messages, although I have gotten unintelligible sounds (like too many people talking) and dial tone. The few that do usually DON'T wait for the beep.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/