call blocker device suggestions?

Page 1 of 9
Enough is enough. My wife is getting upwards of 10 calls daily where no one is on the line when she answers. We have caller ID and it shows numbers never heard of before. For about 4 years, we've both put up with it but over the last couple of years, the calls have increased. I'd like to add a phone call block if I can find the right kind. I see many around the web for sale, but most of these have so-so reviews and either end up not blocking enough numbers, or cutting off to many. Then there is a tele device where a caller has to press 1 to reach the person being called-- I like this, pretty foolproof, but the pricetag seems a bit high at over $100. We have Verizon but nothing special. I just use DSL on copper and all wired phones. So whatever is used will have to work with this existing system. Anyone have ideas? Are there any number pressing devices cheaper than $100?
Thanks-- bill
On 29/03/2015 13:12, bill ashford wrote:

An answerphone message machine, just set on outgoing message and speakerphone mode for any incoming call, and tell your friends about it, so they can ignore it and not hang up, but keep the line open until someone gets to the phone.
On 29-Mar-15 8:12 PM, bill ashford wrote:

Use caller ID, when you get one of these calls save caller ID as ID "junk call" with a silent ring sound. This has cut our annoying calls down quite a bit.
On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 8:25:19 AM UTC-4, Bogus wrote:
If I was getting 10+ hangup calls a day, I'd change my phone number. If you talk to the phone company, they will probably do it for free. Could also use it as an opportunity to ditch Verizon and go with one of the much lower cost VOIP solutions. I have Ooma and am very happy with it, $4 a month.
On 3/29/2015 8:33 AM, trader_4 wrote:

The new number may be worse, especially if the previous user of than number had a lot of bill collectors calling.
On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 10:35:57 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They hold old numbers out of service for months/years before putting them back. I've had many new/existing numbers, no hangup calls 10 times a day. It's like saying you shouldn't leave your boyfriend who's beating you over the head because the next BG might do the same.
Good grief.
On 3/29/2015 11:55 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Actually, depending upon your locale, the numbers are reused rather quickly.
Regardless, it doesn't make any appreciable difference as the robocallers just run down all possible numbers in an area code or exchange(s).
e.g. 773-555-1212, 773-555-1213, 773-555-1214, 773-555-1215 and so on.
The two things (other than the damn pests themselves) that upset me most are...
1) the robocalls that hang up when you pick up because the cretin who's supposed to give you the sales pitch just got a live one from another number. The robocall promotion just keeps dialing your number in sequence until both your and their scumbag marketer are both on the line simultaneously, and
2) the politicians, non-profits or whomever who, when you tell them you are on the Do Not Call list explain to you that THEY are NOT governed by that law. That's when my day gets brightened a bit because I feel quite justified in saying (regardless of who is on the other end) "Well, they need to include dumb ass mother truckers like you who feel special. If I don't want to be bothered with this sh*t it includes YOUR sh*t! Go f**k yourself."
That may do little good other than making me feel a bit better about having been disturbed by the jerks.
Per Unquestionably Confused:

When I'm feeling particularly raggy, I tell them "Look, think this through: I am on that list because I do not want strangers calling me - and I could care less who paid off who to get an exception... and you could have avoided this little ration by consulting the No-Call list."
Totally useless, of course. The poor schlemiel that's calling is probably making eight bucks an hour and hasn't seen daylight for 10 hours... but it gets it out of my system.
One thing that I have tried lately - which seems to help a little - is answering in a very soft voice.... loud enough so that somebody on the other end can hear it, but (I fantasize) not loud enough to computer the sensing software that lights up my number on some telephone solicitor's screen, or to trigger the delivery of the robo call.
I answer that way, wait about 1.5 seconds and then hang up if no response. At least one person I know has a cell phone where that strategy winds up having me hang up on them.... but then they call back and all is well. You're not there when I pick up? Oh well...
The ultimate answer, of course, is challenge-response.... but, so far, I have been reluctant to give up hard-wired 911 access in favor of the VOIP I would need to implement that. OTOH, if I really wanted to suck it up and spend some man hours, I guess I could learn how to install a telephone exchange server on my 24-7 PC.... but I haven't gone there yet.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 3/29/2015 12:55 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Its a crap shoot. It may be better, it may be worse. Your experience does not reflect the rest of the US phone system. I know people that changed numbers and regret it it. They may be held a while, but not like it used to be.
Changing your phone number can be a problem too, depending on who needs to contact you and how many people have to be notified. Someone always miss the change too.
Even a "good" number is not always good. If you are one digit off from the local drug dealer, pizza shop or other high volume user, expect a lot of calls for them too. At work we had an 800 number one digit off from Alaska Airlines. Never a day went buy we did not get a call. Used to be a source for fun. Even after answering and saying this is (company name) they would go on with a ticket or routing question.
On 03/29/2015 12:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[snip]

When I lived in Ft. Worth (more than 25 years ago) I had "926" in my phone number. Once I got a call from a boy saying "I want some pussy.". Apparently, he thought he was dialing a 976 number (these were link 900 numbers).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Not always true. I got a phone connected and almost immediately started getting some bill collector calls (not for anything I owed). Then one of them said a name as in "Mr. Robertson, we expect you to..........". Well, that's not my name, so I grabbed an older phone book at the library, and found that someone with that name DID have this same phone number, and not too long ago. (probably one year ago at most).
On one occasion, after repeated calls from this same place, telling me to call an 800 number, I called them and angerily told them that they have the wrong number, there is no such person at this number, and "Do not call again". I even told them that I checked the phone book, and this number appears to have been formerly owned by someone with that name, but it's been reassigned.
Guess what, within 48 hours they were calling again. It was about 5pm on a Friday when I got their message on my answering machine again. I was quite pissed, and I called them again, ready to blow off some steam. I got a recording that said "please hold for the next available person". After waiting a few minutes, I laid down ther phone and walked away. Several minutes later, I picked up the phone and heard their "elevator music". I set the phone down and went about cooking dinner, cleaning the bathroom, etc. At this point, I forgot about the phone, and it was not until several hours later that I saw the phone off the hook, and when I picked it up, I still heard that elevator music.
Since it was an 800 number, I knew THEY were paying for the call, and since I did not need the phone, I'd just leave it off the hook and run up their phone bill expense. Friday turned to Saturday, then Sunday, and I still heard their crappy music on my phone. The last time I lifted the phone was around 1:00 am Monday morning when I was getting ready for bed. Yep, their music was still playing.....
Monday morning around 8:30AM, I heard the BEEP BEEP sound you get when a phoen is off the hook. I grabbed the phone and it was no longer connected. Well, that means that my phone was connected to their 800 number from 5 pm on Friday, until around 8 am on Monday. A total of about 53 hours. I'm sure they had a HUGE phone bill to pay!
After that, I started getting repeated hangup calls. I called my phone company, and explained the whole situation. They said they would put a trace on my phone. I guess this means they can trace all of my calls, but when I asked what they do after tracing them, they told me that they can block specific numbers that appear to be causing the problem, but that there has to be proof that this is not a legitimate call. They said that they could just change my phone number if I requested it.
After finding out there was no cost to change the number, I just had them change it, and I was sure to tell them to *NOT* give me a number that was used by another person for at least five years. I got a new number and never had that problem again.
On 3/29/2015 3:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Many of the alleged calling numbers are bogus anyway. Some are not even in the US-phone-number format. Once I got a call allegedly from a number almost identical to my own (two digits off), so I called, and of course got some poor old guy who had no idea why his number had been used.
*Some* calls have been from the same number, but our "public" number is a Google-Voice number which forwards to the real number that we give out only to family and friends. Then we can block the number in Google Voice: callers get a "this number is not in service" message.
Got an Indian-accented call a while ago allegedly from Microsoft to tell me that my computer was spewing crap out across the internet. Since I was in a hurry (getting ready to go away on vacation), I didn't have time to string him along but simply told him he was a liar and scammer and to go away.
Percival P. Cassidy:
Those clowns'll tell you your TOILET'S ON FIRE and they're sending a certified plumber over to check things out, just to get private info from you.
On 03/29/2015 09:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When I got a home phone here, it was more than 20 years before I stopped getting calls for Enlowe's Welding (a business I know nothing about).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
bill ashford wrote:

as long as a phone number shows up on caller ID.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Call-Blocker-Caller-ID-Screener-NEWEST-VERSION-V2-2-N2-/181572369568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a468e7ca0
--
 GW Ross

 It's not an optical illusion, it just
G. Ross wrote on 3/29/2015 9:06 AM:

have then as the call comes in, it would ring on both your phone and this unit. Or do you plug your phone into it first?
And what about the 4 extensions in the rest of the house?
Just curious, I've thought about something like this too. I've also seen the nomorobo http://www.nomorobo.com/signup for sign up and http://www.nomorobo.com/ for home page.
Big_Al wrote:

machine). When some call comes in that you want to block, hang up. Then push the button on the blocker to "save" that number. The next time it calls, it will ring once then the blocker will hang up on it.
--
 GW Ross

 It's not an optical illusion, it just
On 3/29/2015 8:48 AM, G. Ross wrote:

You need to plug caller ID phone line into unit and a phone into output of unit. You will use this phone to program unit being unit has little on-board programming function. Depending on phone plugged into unit it might disable caller ID on phone. Unit also has tendency to freeze up but can be "rebooted" by simply picking up phone plugged into unit. Overall, poorly engineered but functional once you're used to it. Recommended.
On 03/29/2015 08:48 AM, G. Ross wrote:
[snip]

Considering all the junk calls I've received in the last year, that would be several hundred numbers. Many (most) of those won't be used again. For this device to be of much use to me, I'd need this year's list in advance. And then, since many of the numbers would be spoofed, some important calls may be blocked.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Call blocking devices are more of a placebo than anything useful. My Panasonic phones have a feature that allows you to add numbers that you want to block. As of today, I have 98 numbers blocked, at least 14 of these belong to "Consumer Services". If their robocaller doesn't get an answer on one line, it just uses another of the hundreds of lines they lease. They spoof their phone numbers also. I too, have gotten calls from my own number.
I'm not saying to give up, but you will never stop these calls completely.