California Wants to Control Your T'Stat

Page 1 of 2
I swear I don't see how anyone lives there.....
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/11/america/calif.php

I don't see what's wrong with this: "The changes would allow utilities to adjust customers' preset temperatures when the price of electricity is soaring. Customers could override the utilities' suggested temperatures. But in emergencies, the utilities could override customers' wishes." Seems to me it's better than a blackout.
Our utility co. has been installing these thermostats for several years now. They call it the "Peak Saver Program." It is a Honeywell programmable stat that they install free. They say during certain peak hours (don't remember exactly what they were, but late afternoon during summer, no mention of winter) they can turn the system off for something like 10 or 15 minutes/hr. I've been to quite a few customers who have them, and have not heard any complaints so far. Larry

Yeah. Our local Co-Op puts "Load Management" boxes in and offer $75 of your electric bill for a hooking it to a water heater and $75 for having it hooked to their A/C. They SAY they will only turn it off for 15 minutes during peak hours, but the past 2 summers they have been turning it off for up to an hour.
Our customers get pretty pissed when they call us out on the weekend and they get charged overtime for the Load Management being the cause for a "No A/C" call.....

That's the problem with systems like this. Once you given someone a tool like this, it becomes the solution to all their problems and they use it for far more than you agreed.
Dr. Hardcrab wrote: ...

I'm curious which REC is this/where?
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:10:28 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"

Interesting. Our utility offers the same load management boxes outside on the AC/Heat pump but does one of two programs. 1) One management period (15) mins for a $25 one time credit. 2) Two back to back periods (up to 30 min) for a $35 one time credit. Both of these also offer some kind of credit per month for the actual amount of management time used. Nothing for the water heaters. Havent heard anyone complaining about the outages. This is the second time they have implemented this program. The first time was 10ish years ago and lasted about 1 year and disappeared. Bubba

At one time we had something like that. The power company would turn off the power up to 30minuits (they said) and give you so much off the power bill. One summer they would flash on the TV screen for people to cut off things to conserve power.
The people did and then at the end of the year the power company said we did not use enought power so they wanted to raise the rates..
Most of all this is so they can keep the money and not build more power plants to make up for the increased usage as the population and industry gets larger.
A few years back the aluminuim company was making more selling electricity at the local plant than it was selling aluminum. They built a system of lakes and dams to do make the electricity for the aluminum process. They drained all the lakes in the area to do that even though we were in a drought year.

You must be from San Fransico.
Nobody is going to tell me how warm or cold I can be!
If the State of Kalifornia would get off their tree-hugging asses and allow some new (NUKE!) power plants, they wouldn't have a power problem. But they think the wind and sun are going to supply all of the power they need.
As I stated before: I don't see how anyone lives there.....

Nope. You're off by 3000 miles. Now, see if you can guess what color shirt I'm wearing.

So...during a blackout, you'd be, besides sweating, what exactly? Proud to be independent like all of those other independent people who can't show some restraint so measures like this aren't necessary? Go you!

I agree that NIMBY and I-Gotta-Have-It-Now! don't coexist peacefully.

Different strokes for different folks.
I think the majority of the public, regardless of where they live, have the belief that everyone should conserve energy-- electricity, NG, fuel oil and gasoline-- so there will be plenty for me to use as I want. I read where Gore's electric bill is about $2500/mo.

That's actually Gore's combined electric and gas bills.
http://neinuclearnotes.blogspot.com/2007/02/al-gores-electric-bill.html
That site also mention's Gore's lack of support for nuclear power, which is a big part of making carbon footprints smaller.
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 09:17:28 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (lp13-30) wrote:

It's a cultural thing.
Americans generally believe that you can use as much as you want, and can pay for. For many, It's kind of a birthright that nobody really thinks about unless there is a serious attempt to ration it or take it away.
Other countries don't have it so good. In France, for instance, the device they call a Disjouncter will cut your power if you try to use too much of it (depending on the class of service you fit into). It doesn't matter if you system has the capacity or you otherwise can pay.
We kind of pay lip service to conservation and feel good about switching to CFL lights and installing solar panels. But, when the peaktime crunch comes, it's usually during the summer when everyone wants to crank their A/C to the max.
There is no blanket shortage of energy.
When you are not operating at peak demand, from a utility standpoint, conservation is of lessor importance... Every additional kiloWatt consumed is a kiloWatt that can be produced and transmitted at a profit. It's in your utilities interest to sell as many of them as possible.
It's only when the peak load stresses the system to maximum capacity that conservation becomes worthwhile (again from the utility standpoint). Generation, transmission, and distribution systems are operating a full capacity and it becomes very expensive to minimize the transmission bottlenecks and add additional generation capacity.
Beachcomber
Beachcomber wrote:

That, and the utility has to bring the less-efficient generation stations online or having to buy it on the spot market. They may actually LOSE money by selling the additional power.
In article

No, as with everything else in my life, I don't tend to rely on outsiders or government or anyone else for my well being. I am a conservative, and an environmentalist. I don't waste energy when I'm buying it from a utility, and when they can't provide it, I generate my own, and use it sparingly and only for the essentials

No? No to what? The rest of your post gets no argument from me. Sounds sensible.

Hmmm........3000 miles off, eh.......
O.K You are in JERSEY! and you are obviously gay so your shirt is probably something festive......I'll say lime green?

I'll pass.....
Try this link:
http://curmudgeonlyskeptical.blogspot.com/2008/01/political-perverts.html

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

We don't call it the land of the fruits and the nuts for nuthin' :)