California Wants to Control Your T'Stat

I swear I don't see how anyone lives there.....

Dr. Hardcrab

I don't see what's wrong with this: "The changes would allow utilities to adjust customers' preset temperatures when the price of electricity is soaring. Customers could override the utilities' suggested temperatures. But in emergencies, the utilities could override customers' wishes." Seems to me it's better than a blackout.

RicodJour

Our utility co. has been installing these thermostats for several years now. They call it the "Peak Saver Program." It is a Honeywell programmable stat that they install free. They say during certain peak hours (don't remember exactly what they were, but late afternoon during summer, no mention of winter) they can turn the system off for something like 10 or 15 minutes/hr. I've been to quite a few customers who have them, and have not heard any complaints so far. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

We don't call it the land of the fruits and the nuts for nuthin' :)

Reply to
Frank

You must be from San Fransico.

Nobody is going to tell me how warm or cold I can be!

If the State of Kalifornia would get off their tree-hugging asses and allow some new (NUKE!) power plants, they wouldn't have a power problem. But they think the wind and sun are going to supply all of the power they need.

As I stated before: I don't see how anyone lives there.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Yeah. Our local Co-Op puts "Load Management" boxes in and offer $75 of your electric bill for a hooking it to a water heater and $75 for having it hooked to their A/C. They SAY they will only turn it off for 15 minutes during peak hours, but the past 2 summers they have been turning it off for up to an hour.

Our customers get pretty pissed when they call us out on the weekend and they get charged overtime for the Load Management being the cause for a "No A/C" call.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

That's the problem with systems like this. Once you given someone a tool like this, it becomes the solution to all their problems and they use it for far more than you agreed.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Nope. You're off by 3000 miles. Now, see if you can guess what color shirt I'm wearing.

So...during a blackout, you'd be, besides sweating, what exactly? Proud to be independent like all of those other independent people who can't show some restraint so measures like this aren't necessary? Go you!

I agree that NIMBY and I-Gotta-Have-It-Now! don't coexist peacefully.

Different strokes for different folks.

RicodJour

I can't imagine WHY anyone would want to live there.

S. Barker

I think the majority of the public, regardless of where they live, have the belief that everyone should conserve energy-- electricity, NG, fuel oil and gasoline-- so there will be plenty for me to use as I want. I read where Gore's electric bill is about $2500/mo.

Reply to
lp13-30

Purple paisley?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Dr. Hardcrab wrote: ...

I'm curious which REC is this/where?

--

Reply to
dpb

Interesting. Our utility offers the same load management boxes outside on the AC/Heat pump but does one of two programs.

1) One management period (15) mins for a $25 one time credit. 2) Two back to back periods (up to 30 min) for a $35 one time credit. Both of these also offer some kind of credit per month for the actual amount of management time used. Nothing for the water heaters. Havent heard anyone complaining about the outages. This is the second time they have implemented this program. The first time was 10ish years ago and lasted about 1 year and disappeared. Bubba
Reply to
Bubba

Better yet, take all HVAC units out of all radical dumbacrat envirowacko homes! Only about 10% of California homes will have AC! These numbskulls voted in a known sex offender as governor!

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Sex offender? Who are you referring to?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No, as with everything else in my life, I don't tend to rely on outsiders or government or anyone else for my well being. I am a conservative, and an environmentalist. I don't waste energy when I'm buying it from a utility, and when they can't provide it, I generate my own, and use it sparingly and only for the essentials

Reply to
RBM

Ahnold allegedly felt up a couple of starlets early on. None of which complained until after he was running. But since he was a Republican (as opposed to a conservative) he is pretty much guilty until proven innocent.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Well, complaining after someone's elected is pretty much the rule, right? Guys who don't get any pussy love to list all the people Bill Clinton has murdered. Heh. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That's the least of the problems in CA.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

That's actually Gore's combined electric and gas bills.

That site also mention's Gore's lack of support for nuclear power, which is a big part of making carbon footprints smaller.

Don Klipstein