California to slay the vampire

Alabama, residential $.09/kWh. Georgia, residential (winter/heat), $.07/kWh.

Reply to
krw

Hummm, I thought The Southern Company which owns Alabama power and Georgia Power would have very similar prices unless the difference is in the state tax. I know TVA supplies a lot of power in Alabama but I'm not sure about Georgia.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Does Texas even have egg farms?

 California Population: 37,691,912*  Texas Population: 25,674,681*

  • estimated as of July 1 2011

California has 50% larger population and uses about 8% less that Texas, how many extra power plants are Texans paying for because they can't get themselves to conserve

I pay $0.11/kwh and live in northern California

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

California doesn't control the world supply of oil nor does it control world demand nor even the speculators that benefit from high oil prices.

For as long as I can remember, that hasn't been the case. Negawatts are almost always cheaper than megawatts and the case here has been more about cost avoidance (when the power companies were given cost plus guarantees for their rates and thus were de-incentivised to be efficient) and environmental concerns.

they don't, not even close:

no one is forcing you to be energy efficient. there are more than enough choices out there for you to be in hog heaven and you won't break a single law

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

as soon as those nukes go on line in Georgia, you can count on the rates going up

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:33:30 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote Re Re: California to slay the vampire:

That $0.11/kwh is because you use less than 100kwh/month. Go up to

200kwh/month and see the rate rise significantly. In TX, the average use is probably about 1100kwh/month and for that they pay $0.11/kwh.
Reply to
Caesar Romano

100-watt lightbulbs anyone?
Reply to
HeyBub

But only 40% of those two states are wired for electricity.

Reply to
HeyBub

I wonder if the drug dealers will go into 100 watt light bulbs as a sideline?

Crack cocaine, heroin, and 100 watt light bulbs. All at the street corner. Tell em Stormin Mormon sent you.

.

100-watt lightbulbs anyone?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank God for that or the hippies would have the price of gas at $10 by now.

The issue isn't the money you save by using less electricity. It's the claim that conservation is going to reduce the COST of electricity, ie the electricity rates.

OK, let me rephrase that to one of the highest rates in the US, excluding HI. And if you do it on a population weighted basis, there are one hell of a lot of people paying 17 cents in CA vs those folks in places like NC that are paying half that rate.

The common 100W light bulb comes to mind. And how about the gas guzzler tax, where yes you can buy a performance car with a big engine, but you wind up getting robbed with the politician then pissing the money away.

Reply to
trader4

Not likely, but not a bad idea

which claim, as far as I can remember, has never been seriously made by the conservationists

there are also a hell of a lot of people in CA paying approximately 11 cents, me being one of them

which is still a legal light bulb to purchase and own as are the 90+ watt replacements

who is forcing you/them to buy the gas guzzler?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

two 50 watt light bulbs?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

not true, I use about 300-400 per month. it's the basic baseline rate

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Neither power company is a Southern Company (both munis).

Reply to
krw

Let's see, the population of Atlanta is ~5M...

Reply to
krw

The rates here go down with increasing usage.

Reply to
krw

which is a great dis-incentive to conserve

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:38:28 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote Re Re: California to slay the vampire:

Ok, what's the rate when you use 1100kwh per month? That's typical usage for the vast majority of people in the rest of the country.

Here's the PG&E residential schedule

If "baseline" is 400kwh/month, then according to the schedule

1100kwh/month would be $0.335/kwh.

Folks, look at your electric bill and see what it would be at $0.335/kwh. That's what you get with California type regulations.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Spring and Fall and Winter Base Usage Quantities per month 9.38? per kWh Base-Plus Usage Quantities per month 17.65? per kWh

Summer Base Usage Quantities per month 10.16? per kWh Base-Plus Quantities per month 18.30? per kWh

Harder to pinpoint the baseline limits, but base can be as low as 620 and as high as 1100 depending on time of year and some other factors.

Of course if you conserved you wouldn't need so much expensive electricity and at 34 cents/kwh the payback would be pretty nice and quick. but do enjoy your extensive lifestyle

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Actual costs are more appropriately charged to the user, i.e. *fair*.

Reply to
krw