California to slay the vampire

Page 2 of 3
On Jan 16, 6:44 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

Thank God for that or the hippies would have the price of gas at $10 by now.

The issue isn't the money you save by using less electricity. It's the claim that conservation is going to reduce the COST of electricity, ie the electricity rates.

OK, let me rephrase that to one of the highest rates in the US, excluding HI. And if you do it on a population weighted basis, there are one hell of a lot of people paying 17 cents in CA vs those folks in places like NC that are paying half that rate.

The common 100W light bulb comes to mind. And how about the gas guzzler tax, where yes you can buy a performance car with a big engine, but you wind up getting robbed with the politician then pissing the money away.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not likely, but not a bad idea

which claim, as far as I can remember, has never been seriously made by the conservationists

there are also a hell of a lot of people in CA paying approximately 11 cents, me being one of them

which is still a legal light bulb to purchase and own as are the 90+ watt replacements

who is forcing you/them to buy the gas guzzler?
--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna

Spoken like a true environmental extremist, with no regard for the folks that are struggling in this economy, driving 40 miles to work. I bet you have a solution to that too, more big govt programs handing out money. It's positions like that which just totally discredit most of the environemtalists and leads people to tune them out.

It was made by you, unless someone else has been typing at your keyboard:
"Imagine how low the price of electricity would be in Texas if they were as diligent about conservation as California "

That is taken into account with the charts showing the AVERAGE price paid state wide. And someone here posted that the 11c rate in CA is for people using a very low amount of electricity that is unrealistic. So, tell us your power company and how much you use so we can see how real that 11c rate is. You know what I'm betting.....

Actually, it's not legal. The law banning them was NOT repealled. A new bill was signed into law that bans ENFORCEMENT. It's like saying the speed limit on this street by law is 40, but we're not going to enforce it for a year.

It's an example of the govt trying to force consumers to behave the way they want. I suppose you'd tax french fries and hamburgers too, if you could. But if you libs hop on a jet for Europe, or Disneylan, all the fuel and pollution that spews is cool, right?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 07:01:55 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Well said.

βœ–

And this from a country that is willing to pay $8/gallon for bottled water?

which in no way invalidates my claim, although I should have made it clearer to you that we were discussing California and it's conservation practices. But to reiterate my point when conservation is discussed in California, it's about avoided costs, not lower rates

I've already posted the base-line and over base-line rates and they are clearly not for extremely low usage houses. but feel free to peruse smud.org

The law made the manufacture of 100 watt bulbs "illegal" not the purchase or possession of them

no, it's an attempt to make those that want to indulge in conspicuous consumption pay for it. Why should I have to pay higher prices for fuel because some group of people use more than their "fair share"

They already are. So is alcohol and tobacco

nice attempt to change the topic with your anti-lib logic.
--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna
βœ–
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:51:23 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

What a stupid statement, even for you. I don't use 25gal of water to get to be able to collect a paycheck each week.
<the rest can't be worth reading>
Add pictures here
βœ–

If I understood what that meant, I wouldn't compare Enron to Soladyne

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 23:24:06 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Add pictures here
βœ–

a guess is as good as the guesser, too bad
Add pictures here
βœ–
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

Agreed, but that connection is not for normal consumption - it's for emergencies, or at least abnormal demand. I wouldn't be surprised if Texas had a backup plan to truck in electricity if the need arose.
And 150MW is a piddly amount. Won't even run an egg farm.
Approximate values: Texas electricity max demand: (2010) 64.5 GW California max demand (2011) 60.4GW

Imagine how low the price of electricity would be in California if they operated their system like Texas.
California, residential, $0.14/kwh Texas, residential, $0.11/kwh
Add pictures here
βœ–

Alabama, residential $.09/kWh. Georgia, residential (winter/heat), $.07/kWh.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 1/16/2012 11:05 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Hummm, I thought The Southern Company which owns Alabama power and Georgia Power would have very similar prices unless the difference is in the state tax. I know TVA supplies a lot of power in Alabama but I'm not sure about Georgia.
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:59:20 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Neither power company is a Southern Company (both munis).
Add pictures here
βœ–

as soon as those nukes go on line in Georgia, you can count on the rates going up
Add pictures here
βœ–

But only 40% of those two states are wired for electricity.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Let's see, the population of Atlanta is ~5M...
Add pictures here
βœ–

Does Texas even have egg farms?

 California Population: 37,691,912*
 Texas Population: 25,674,681*
* estimated as of July 1 2011
California has 50% larger population and uses about 8% less that Texas, how many extra power plants are Texans paying for because they can't get themselves to conserve

I pay $0.11/kwh and live in northern California
--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna
βœ–
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:33:30 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

That $0.11/kwh is because you use less than 100kwh/month. Go up to 200kwh/month and see the rate rise significantly. In TX, the average use is probably about 1100kwh/month and for that they pay $0.11/kwh.

βœ–

not true, I use about 300-400 per month. it's the basic baseline rate

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:38:28 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Ok, what's the rate when you use 1100kwh per month? That's typical usage for the vast majority of people in the rest of the country.
Here's the PG&E residential schedule http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf
If "baseline" is 400kwh/month, then according to the schedule 1100kwh/month would be $0.335/kwh.
Folks, look at your electric bill and see what it would be at $0.335/kwh. That's what you get with California type regulations.

βœ–