California to fine homeowners $500 for washing the sidewalk

Page 2 of 2
On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:02:09 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Silly question.
HB

On 7/17/2014 6:36 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Silly person, not to be concerned about the abuse of government powers.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/16/2014 3:08 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

crops like cotton and rice, which should NEVER be farmed in a drought-prone area. Result: THE GROUND WATER IS RAPIDLY BEING DEPLETED.

If the free market were working, the drought would result in higher water prices. Farmers would switch to less thirsty crops.
Much like energy deregulation allows the market to set energy prices to provide for production, delivery, and profit.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

action?
<SNIP>
That's not the impression I meant to give. Yes, the drought WILL end. Any conservation action is always good, but realistically it's too late to have much effect on this one. The state has done a decent job of managing droughts, fires & floods in my opinion, considering that politics is always involved.
On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:50:34 -0800, "Guv Bob"

This goes far deeper than just a drought. Most of the US is using water faster than the replenishing rate, even in wet years. The ogalalla aquifer in the central part of the US is dropping very fast and that is fossil water that built up over thousands of years. It is not coming back. The Colorado river has gone from a raging river to a trickle by the time it gets to southern California. All of the big dams are low. Even here in Florida where we get plenty of rain, our aquifers are dropping fast. We suck it out and pump it on (mostly) grass, faster than it can get back down there.

Well, isn't it obvious? The wet people didn't aquify their fair share. We need to raise taxes on the wet.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

any > >action?

end. >

future results".
I'm convinced it's already ended. Check this thread again in November, after the rains start.

for

You're right. All theories aside, conservation is the way to go.

I guess the same clause that got FDR elected. He really made a mess of things.
On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 22:51:27 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

Doesn't it rain a lot in Washington?

That's not surprising. Your horizons don't extend past the end of your nose.
Even England has been known to ban "hosepipes" as they call them (two years ago, during the summer drought). (The use, not the possession thereof).
On 7/18/2014 10:26 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Since you know me so well, what did I have for breakfast?
--
.
Christopher A. Young