California electric rates are getting ridiculous

Excellent points, all.

The bottom line is that anti-nukes, evironmentalism, and conservation are all MOVEMENTS. The logic behind the movement is immaterial, it is membership in the movement that is important - to be a part of something, to give meaning to an otherwise useless life. The same people who are members of the anti-nuke movement are also members of the ban-the-bra parade, promote (or oppose) metrification, home owner association advocates, or any other protest group.

Reply to
HeyBub

All life? That is a rather bold statement. Do you think it is impossible for other forms of life may evolve along the way? Or if there is a Creator, that he may make some other form?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

on 12/6/2008 12:12 PM Ed Pawlowski said the following:

Any life on Mars, or any other planets in our solar system? We are at the optimum distance from the Sun to sustain life as we know it. The less - or more - solar energy, the less life. As the Sun burns out over the course of gigennia, it will become a 'Red Giant" star and all the planets will gradually vaporize. Nothing on Earth will experience this event. I don't believe in invisible entities, nor any afterlife.

Reply to
willshak

"dpb", let me "translate" your recitation of experience: BSNE likely via US military/Navy(?) with a "terminal" MS (likely from some university with close ties to military and which hands out MS degrees essentially for class attendance)-- no thesis, no true specialization. The rest of your experience is osmotic ("knowing many of the other individuals") and a legacy of having served the industry well while in your military position (probably "procurement") in active duty so that when you retired, you were rewarded by the industry with some harmless but lucrative "consulting" positions. In short, you are a low-level industry shill.

That explains your bias and inability to provide objective support for your assertions.

Reply to
Erma1ina

Mars has a different composition and we don't know that it ever had any life to evolve to another form. Right now we have penguins and polar bears. They may run rampant over the rest of the earth if it cools down some. Plant life ma take some other forms that is cold resistant. Life as we know it, I agree, but it can change. How did we get here? What existed before, during, and after the ice age? I just don't think that any of us can make a definite statement about the future. Could be space ships on the way here from a distant galaxy a million years away.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Union Pacific denied a request from the Mayor just last year. A runaway tanker with 30,000 gallons of chlorine.

.."But when officials like Mayor Oscar Goodman asked for basic notification, letting the valley know when dangerous stuff was heading our way, the railroad declined. Since this is interstate commerce, there's nothing local governments can do about it."

- Listen to all of the 911 calls

"We just had a tanker come flying by the railroad tracks. No locomotive at all. It was doing 35 to 40 miles an hour," said a caller to 911. The operators who took the first calls seemed mystified.

"I've got a runaway rail car going north," said the caller.

"What's it running away on?" asked the operator.

"The railroad tracks. There is no, uh, head on the train," said the caller.

The 8th call to police was from the railroad. It was an embarrassing admission. "Yeah, we just had a runaway rail car and we believe it's loaded with chlorine," said the Union Pacific caller.

"Do you have sight of it?" asked the operator.

"No, we lost sight of it but we are attempting to run it down right now," said the Union Pacific caller.

A tanker car filled with 30,000 gallons of deadly chlorine sped all the way across the Las Vegas valley and stopped only because it eventually rolled uphill.

The fact that it did not slam into a train parked on the tracks is considered miraculous by many. A later study estimated it could have killed up to 90,000 people if it had derailed in the middle of town.

Oren

Thanks for thought. What about this report?

.."The DOE suffered serious credibility setbacks when e-mails written by U.S. Geological Survey employees working on the Yucca Mountain project became public, indicating that documents related to climate and water infiltration studies had been falsified."

Oren

But no one was killed. If a nuclear missile accidentally fired it could kill a million. If, if, if. If's don't count.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How does that happen?!!

..explain it to me Lucy; hurry up, I have Bongo lessons....

Reply to
Oren

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:FNm_k.8167$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

Was born in Stamford and lived there 25 yrs. Now have relatives in Stamford, Shelton and Naugatuck. Doesn't sound like I could afford to live there any more! Well, not and have the luxury of electricity anyway.

Speaking of gas tax, I was talking to one of my VT buds just the other day about gas taxes and $/gal. They were wondering why gas has come down so slowly there. At the time gas was 1.99 in CT and in the Burlington VT area it was still like 2.30. So I went on GasBuddy.com where it shows the taxes by state.

CT 62.5 cents and VT 38.4 yet gas is noteably more expensive in VT.

Reply to
Red Green

I would have to question just how legitimate the deregulation is in Texas. Yes, it has been deregulated to the point that you have options to choose from more than one provider but the way they have setup the system, it really doesn't provide for true competition. The base rates are still set based on the cost structure of natural gas even though more cost effective fuels are used for much of the generation. Most of the providers are actually resellers who buy on bulk rates and resell to consumers. Several have gone under during the last year because they were buying on the spot market and the price they were paying was well above what they were charging. True deregulation will only come when there is true competition in the generation of power.

Reply to
BobR

Hey, I said "if" Just like that car that crashed in front of the school at

3 Am. If it happened at the time the kids were lined up to go in, they would have been killed.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As much as it pains me, I respectfully disagree.

Electricity is a phenonimon of nature that we harnessed to our great benefit.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

As a resident of Louisville, Ky, living 3 miles from a coal-fired plant, I would be encouraged by your assertion of clean-burning, low sulfur coal. But the big smudge in the sky reminds that one fact shoots the hell out of a lot of theory.

Reply to
Michael B

That is one of the fundamental flaws with the logic of anti-nuclear fools. Their entire argument depends on IFs... what if this happens, what if that happens. Whereas current coal and fossil fuel technology is already causing environmental damage and health problems, guaranteed.

Reply to
scorpster

On 12/4/2008 5:06 AM Caesar Romano spake thus:

Oil? Really? Bloomberg says that oil is projected to hit somewhere around $20/bbl come January.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

One spinster today suggested gas would fall to $1.00 per gallon at the pump when we hit bottom.

Reply to
Oren

-snip-

Would that be the same Bloomberg that predicted $200 by the end of the year last January? That predicting the future thing hasn't ever worked out well for mere mortals.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

More important, how long will it stay there? Could be back to $160 in July. For one of our warehouses, I bought 1000 gallons and thought I did good because the price dropped to $3.50 when I had it delivered. Have not even use it yet, but will tomorrow. I'm going to wait until January to get more and may fill the tank at that time, about 2000 gallons.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Oren wrote: ...

... There's one of the kinds of things to worry about a whole lot more than Yucca Mountain.

Even if a car were to escape w/ a spent fuel cask, the design is such even if it were hit, nothing would have happened to the fuel cask. But, since all shipments are made w/ escorts, etc., as opposed to simply standard freight shipments, the likelihood is vanishingly small such and event would happen.

--

Reply to
dpb