California electric rates are getting ridiculous

Page 8 of 9
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Not the contrast medium (Gadolinium) used for MRIs.
Erma1ina wrote:

So, Mr. Ullman, exactly WHAT do you "Medical Communicators" communicate?
I hope it's not about MRI technology. LOL.

At best it means that specific site has been partly decontaminated. It means that they have moved, not eliminated, the biggest part of the problem.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It means _the site_ has been decontaminated sufficiently to be released which disproves the prior claims.
That there is long term storage and disposal at some location is a "doh!". There are waste disposal problems associated with virtually all activities of one kind or another.

Then all the waste could be stored right there.

How 'bout you keep it in your own back yard?!!
Besides, Area 51 does not exist!

And radiation, and lots of radioactive waste that no one has yet found an acceptable safe way of disposing of. It is all sitting in on sight storage, costing us taxpayers money while producing no power.

Care to provide numbers. Please include full life cycle cost, including full cost of decommissioning.

On 12/4/2008 5:37 PM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

Yes, please do. While doing so, keep in mind the following parts of the nuclear fuel cycle, each with its own set of hazards (like transportation between each step):
o Uranium mining * o Uranium milling o Uranium tailings disposal o Fuel enrichment o Fuel rod fabrication o Nuke plant operation o Spent fuel removal and on-site storage o Spent fuel dismantlement (separating fuel from carrier) o Spent fuel packaging o Spent fuel disposal (TBD)
*Already the cause of the worst nuclear accident in the U.S. in terms of amount of radiation released into the environment, the Rio Puerco dam breach and tailings pond spill in New Mexico.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

And, of course, to be fair, compare them to any alternative mechanism of generating equivalent power to the grid at equivalent or lower cost and reliability. (HINT: these life cycle studies were done exhaustively years ago. While absolute numbers on the $$ values will change w/ inflation, the relative rankings won't. Nuclear wins overall owing to the much smaller volume of material handled as compared to coal, on other materials costs owing to the low density output of the alternative sources.)
dpb wrote:

Right. Ten years of fuel for a nuclear reactor can be transported in one truck.
The coal required for one power station involves uncountably many railroad cars, trudging for a thousand miles (e.g., Montana to Chicago), with the attendant mishaps expected in mining and transporting such a huge amount of stuff.

Your arguments are starting to sound like the age old question of rather you perfer to be killed with a rifle shot or a cannon shot. It really doesn't make a damn bit of difference if the end result is "you are dead".
HeyBub wrote:

LOL. What a twit!!
I suggest we hang onto it. Sooner or later, someone will form some new kind of reactor, which will take our nuke wastes, and turn them into more energy.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Pure plug in cars are a bit of a joke too, what do you do if you become discharged in traffic, its not like you can walk to the gas station with a can? Unless battery packs are made modular and gas stations maintain a supply of pre-charged modules changeable in a minute, then plug in cars are dead before they even started. If the plug-ins are hybrids then they would be sellable, but nothing new is being developed here as we already have hybrids, these plug ins would just be hybrids with on-board AC chargers. For the vast majority of folks, a car with limited range and a refill-time of hours wont sell, period.

18, eeek! Where is that Ed?
NC, Public Works Commission, aka PWC
MONTHLY RATE - Basic Facilities Charge $9.00 Energy Charge For the first 500 kWh $0.0750 per kWh For all additional kWh $0.0815 per kWh

I'm in CT, but MA is just as bad. We also, proudly, have the highest gasoline prices after Hawaii. As an industrial user, at work we are paying .151. And people wonder why manufacturing has moved out of New England.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That wasn't the only reason. Manufacturing was actively driven out of CT because it wasn't trendy. The politicos wanted only high tech companies to fit their vision of a prosperous educated state, and of course educated people don't stoop as low as manufacturing jobs. That is why CT now has a dangerously stratified economy with high end jobs, low end service jobs and little in between.
wrote in message

Was born in Stamford and lived there 25 yrs. Now have relatives in Stamford, Shelton and Naugatuck. Doesn't sound like I could afford to live there any more! Well, not and have the luxury of electricity anyway.
Speaking of gas tax, I was talking to one of my VT buds just the other day about gas taxes and $/gal. They were wondering why gas has come down so slowly there. At the time gas was 1.99 in CT and in the Burlington VT area it was still like 2.30. So I went on GasBuddy.com where it shows the taxes by state.
http://www.waterburygasprices.com/tax_info.aspx
CT 62.5 cents and VT 38.4 yet gas is noteably more expensive in VT.
Based on my most recent Nov electric bill, my CA rate is 20 per kWh. A big reason for the inflated rate is the ridiculous Tier 1, 2, 3, 4 structure where they put me in Tier 4 even though our 4-person household is already very efficient with our energy use. I think Tier 1 and 2 is reserved for singles living in apartments. I feel like I am being ripped off because of the coal and fossil fuel-loving nuclear-haters.